• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Who else would you sell before the end of the transfer window?

Which would you sell?

• Soldado

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • Adebayor

Votes: 69 87.3%
  • Chiriches

Votes: 67 84.8%
  • Carroll

Votes: 24 30.4%
  • Dembele

Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Townsend

Votes: 34 43.0%
  • Lamela

Votes: 5 6.3%

• Total voters
Fazio is our only defender who is strong in the air, so there are quite a few games we'll need him.

I still think Wimmer will get an EPL loan

now so long ago you said there was no need for big defenders because PL teams no longer rely on aerial attacking play.

Does anyone share my feelings that this is the strangest transfer window I remember... there seems to be more interest and expectations in the deadwood we are able to sell than those we buy. Weird...

Does anyone share my feelings that this is the strangest transfer window I remember... there seems to be more interest and expectations in the deadwood we are able to sell than those we buy. Weird...

yeah, feels like a roaring success to me thus far

its something many have been screaming for for years

As I said... weird o_O

It's been a success based on the number of players we have sold. For once it feels good to be a selling club.

As I said... weird o_O

It's been a success based on the number of players we have sold. For once it feels good to be a selling club.

We finished last season with an obscene number of senior players - about 36. We are still at 30 (5 sold, 4 released, 3 in), so there's still work to be done to get a nice trim 25.

We finished last season with an obscene number of senior players - about 36. We are still at 30 (5 sold, 4 released, 3 in), so there's still work to be done to get a nice trim 25.
I only count 27 listed on the OS.

And of those 27 we're fairly sure that Chiriches, Lennon and Adebayor will not feature this season. So that's really only 24. Unless there's someone not listed on the OS?

And of those 24, unless I'm mistaken, Bentaleb, Dier and Alli technically don't need to be declared as they are U21. So we're not quite as over-stuffed with players as you're suggesting.

And of those 27 we're fairly sure that Chiriches, Lennon and Adebayor will not feature this season. So that's really only 24. Unless there's someone not listed on the OS?

And of those 24, unless I'm mistaken, Bentaleb, Dier and Alli technically don't need to be declared as they are U21. So we're not quite as over-stuffed with players as you're suggesting.

If we rid of Soldado and Townsend as well and then bring in a CM, RM and two strikers, it will be an excellent window

We currently have 26 players over the age of 21, but that includes Ade, Lennon, Fredericks and Hall.

I think the main issue was it wasn't just the size of the squad, but so few offered a plan b and so few really fit the manager's vision.

So you had a group of players that legitimately no one saw ever being close to the first team, can't be good for squad, training, morale, wages , hence #1 goal of this window was to get rid of deadwood.

We currently have 26 players over the age of 21, but that includes Ade, Lennon, Fredericks and Hall.

26 over 21 + Dier, Bentaleb, Alli and Veljkovic.

I don't mean for the technical squad limit, more that a first team squad of 25 is a manageable number. Any more and you get sulkers and malcontents.

I think it has been a good one so far, we have got rid of the players that Poch did not want and also bought in 3 ( 2 of which could go straight into the first team). If we can ignore all the supposed ITK and media rubbish about the players we are supposed to be interested in ( most of which is nothing but flimflam) and I also think there will be at least another 2 coming in.

There has been quite an exodus, but it is a continuing trend under Poch really. I swiped this list of players that have left under Poch's watch.

1st Team Players
  1. Michael Dawson
  2. Kyle Naughton
  3. Benjamin Stambouli
  4. Paulinho
  5. Sandro
  6. Younes Kaboul
  7. Lewis Holtby
  8. Brad Friedel
  9. Cristian Ceballos
  10. Etienne Capoue
  11. Heurelho Gomes
  12. Jake Livermore
  13. Gylfi Sigurdsson
  14. Iago Falque
  15. Zeki Fryers
  16. Jonathan Obika
  17. Benoit Assou-Ekotto
  18. Jermain Defoe

Demi-Gods

1. Bongani Khumalo

Others
  1. Jordan Archer
  2. Alexander McQueen
  3. Cameron Lancaster
  4. Lawrence Vigouroux
  5. Kevin Stewart
  6. Darren McQueen
  7. Giancarlo Gallifuoco
  8. Roman Michael-Percil
  9. Souleymane Coulibaly
  10. Jack Munns
  11. Jonathan Miles

Of this list of players there is not many of the first team I disagree with shifting. Siggy maybe could have been given one more season but that's about it.

Last edited:
There has been quite an exodus, but it is continuing trend under Poch really. I swiped this list of players that have left under Poch's watch.

1st Team Players
  1. Michael Dawson
  2. Kyle Naughton
  3. Benjamin Stambouli
  4. Paulinho
  5. Sandro
  6. Younes Kaboul
  7. Lewis Holtby
  8. Brad Friedel
  9. Cristian Ceballos
  10. Etienne Capoue
  11. Heurelho Gomes
  12. Jake Livermore
  13. Gylfi Sigurdsson
  14. Iago Falque
  15. Zeki Fryers
  16. Jonathan Obika
  17. Benoit Assou-Ekotto
  18. Jermain Defoe

Others
  1. Jordan Archer
  2. Bongani Khumalo
  3. Alexander McQueen
  4. Cameron Lancaster
  5. Lawrence Vigouroux
  6. Kevin Stewart
  7. Darren McQueen
  8. Giancarlo Gallifuoco
  9. Roman Michael-Percil
  10. Souleymane Coulibaly
  11. Jack Munns
  12. Jonathan Miles
Of this list of players there is not many of the first team I disagree with shifting. Siggy maybe could have been given one more season but that's about it.

Falque was never given a fair chance and is proving himself to be a decent player, now at Roma.

There has been quite an exodus, but it is continuing trend under Poch really. I swiped this list of players that have left under Poch's watch.

1st Team Players
  1. Michael Dawson
  2. Kyle Naughton
  3. Benjamin Stambouli
  4. Paulinho
  5. Sandro
  6. Younes Kaboul
  7. Lewis Holtby
  8. Brad Friedel
  9. Cristian Ceballos
  10. Etienne Capoue
  11. Heurelho Gomes
  12. Jake Livermore
  13. Gylfi Sigurdsson
  14. Iago Falque
  15. Zeki Fryers
  16. Jonathan Obika
  17. Benoit Assou-Ekotto
  18. Jermain Defoe

Others
  1. Jordan Archer
  2. Bongani Khumalo
  3. Alexander McQueen
  4. Cameron Lancaster
  5. Lawrence Vigouroux
  6. Kevin Stewart
  7. Darren McQueen
  8. Giancarlo Gallifuoco
  9. Roman Michael-Percil
  10. Souleymane Coulibaly
  11. Jack Munns
  12. Jonathan Miles

One does not simply list The Bong as 'others'. For shame.

Dier and Wimmer are not the same as Ake, Christensen and Hayden. The first two have 88 top flight appearances between them. The other three have 6. I merely forgot about Chambers as most of his game time was spent as a back up right back. Dier and Wimmer are young CBs, but they are 1st team CBs, just because they came from Portugal and Germany respectively doesn't mean all their previous experience is wiped from the record books. Veljkovic and CCV are comparable to those others listed but if we'd never signed Wimmer and Alderweireld and used the first two instead then people on here would say we only had three CBs(or two now because apparently Dier doesn't count), so you can't apply one rule for us and another for the rest. Bottom line is we have five first team CBs(plus Chiriches), all of whom cost sizeable amounts in transfer fees, all are on first team wages and all will be expecting to play.

I don't dislike Fazio, he's just a victim of poor squad planning so I hope he goes, for our sake and his.

Speaking of CBs, check this out: http://cartilagefreecaptain.sbnatio...rs-eric-dier-defensive-midfield-logic-puzzles

So could it be that we are holding on to 5 CBs, because one of them (or even two, if you include Toby) might actually feature in the DM slot?

Additionally, given the versatility of Jan, Dier, and Toby, they can also provide cover on the left or right, so we shouldn't be looking at them as strictly CBs. That would mean 9 defenders for 4 positions, perhaps even 5 if you include DM. Sounds about right to me, especially if you consider that there will be a need to rotate players for all the cup and EL matches we'll have to play.

I do take your point (Gutter Boy) about too many first teamers leading to man management and squad management issues. And there's no doubt we had accumulated too many players on the periphery that needed clearing out. But, working on the assumption that Lennon, Adebayor and Chiriches are unlikely to be part of the squad and have "already gone" for the purposes of discussion, I do feel we've pretty much done all the "pruning" we need now. I wouldn't like to see us offload anyone else without bringing in a replacement / upgrade.

GB is including Veljkovic in his "first team" reckoning, but the young Serb is still listed as part of the "development squad" on the OS and there's certainly been no confirmation that he'll be moved to the first team for this season, so I think it's premature to include him just now. I think he's got a bright future with us, but I also think it's at least as likely that he'll spend this season on loan as at Spurs. So for now; sticking with the OS, we have:
  1. Lloris
  2. Vorm
  3. Walker
  4. Trippier
  5. Yedlin
  6. Rose
  7. Davies
  8. Vertonghen
  9. Alderweireld
  10. Fazio
  11. Wimmer
  12. Mason
  13. Dembele
  14. Carroll
  15. Townsend
  16. Lamela
  17. Pritchard
  18. Chadli
  19. Eriksen
  20. Soldado
  21. Kane
  22. Dier
  23. Bentaleb
  24. Alli
  25. Chiriches
  26. Lennon
  27. Adebayor
As I say, with those last three gone, we only have 24 first teamers including the three U21s. So even if you do add in Veljkovic (who also won't need to be registered of course) it only brings us up to our "ideal" 25 (but with 4 additional spaces theoretically available to register players if we wanted).

That 24-man squad (above) still looks light to me though. In my view it needs another striker (with Adebayor gone) and the midfield still needs beefing up. But we're getting there.

I do take your point (Gutter Boy) about too many first teamers leading to man management and squad management issues. And there's no doubt we had accumulated too many players on the periphery that needed clearing out. But, working on the assumption that Lennon, Adebayor and Chiriches are unlikely to be part of the squad and have "already gone" for the purposes of discussion, I do feel we've pretty much done all the "pruning" we need now. I wouldn't like to see us offload anyone else without bringing in a replacement / upgrade.

GB is including Veljkovic in his "first team" reckoning, but the young Serb is still listed as part of the "development squad" on the OS and there's certainly been no confirmation that he'll be moved to the first team for this season, so I think it's premature to include him just now. I think he's got a bright future with us, but I also think it's at least as likely that he'll spend this season on loan as at Spurs. So for now; sticking with the OS, we have:
  1. Lloris
  2. Vorm
  3. Walker
  4. Trippier
  5. Yedlin
  6. Rose
  7. Davies
  8. Vertonghen
  9. Alderweireld
  10. Fazio
  11. Wimmer
  12. Mason
  13. Dembele
  14. Carroll
  15. Townsend
  16. Lamela
  17. Pritchard
  18. Chadli
  19. Eriksen
  20. Soldado
  21. Kane
  22. Dier
  23. Bentaleb
  24. Alli
  25. Chiriches
  26. Lennon
  27. Adebayor
As I say, with those last three gone, we only have 24 first teamers including the three U21s. So even if you do add in Veljkovic (who also won't need to be registered of course) it only brings us up to our "ideal" 25 (but with 4 additional spaces theoretically available to register players if we wanted).

That 24-man squad (above) still looks light to me though. In my view it needs another striker (with Adebayor gone) and the midfield still needs beefing up. But we're getting there.

Beyond Ade, Lennon and Chiriches, I would

Cut and not replace: Fazio, Yedlin, Fredericks and Hall

Sell and replace: Carroll, Dembele, Soldado

So a net drop of 7 more

That would leave us 22 + the 5 academy players who have now started training with the first team squad (Veljkovic, Winks, Onomah, Oduwa and McGee)

Decent team we've shipped...

Heurelho Gomes

Kyle Naughton - Younes Kaboul - Michael Dawson - Benoit Assou-Ekotto

Etienne Capoue - Benjamin Stambouli

Iago Falque - Lewis Holtby - Gylfi Sigurdsson

Jermain Defoe

subs: Friedel, Paulinho, Sandro, Cristian Ceballos, Jake Livermore, Zeki Fryers,Jonathan Obika

Back