• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Which Positions Should We Buy For?

Jordinho

Ron Henry
Staff member
GK: Lloris, Friedel, Archer

RB: Walker, Naughton

LB: BAE, Rose

CB: Kaboul, Dawson, Vertonghen, Caulker, Gallas

CM: Parker, Sandro, Huddlestone, Livermore, Dembele, Carroll

AM: Holtby, Sigurdsson, Lennon, Townsend, Bentley

FW: Bale, Ade, Defoe, Dempsey

My priorities:

OUT: Bentley, Gallas, Parker, Livermore, Defoe, The Bong :(, (Hudd depending on offers and if he's willing to be a squad player), (Carroll on loan), (BAE if we have a replacement)

IN: The fabled deep lying playmaker, Striker to compete with Ade, Wide forward/Attacking midfielder, (LB), (Young striker)

I didn't list all the youngsters. Don't really know what the plans are for them. Probably PL loan for one or two and a few Championship loans.

All those bolded to be sold (Carroll loaned to a premiership team).

In =

1) 1st choice striker
2) Playmaker (central playmaker or wide playmaker...don't mind...hopefully he can play both roles)
3) 3rd choice young striker

-------------------------------------Lloris-----------------------------------------

Walker-------------Dawson/Kaboul---------------vertonghen--------------Rose

----------------------------------Sandro-------Dembele-------------------------

------------------------------------------new-------------------------------------

---Lennon---------------------------------------------------Bale-------------------

------------------------------------------New----------------------------------------

or

------------------------------------Lloris------------------------------------

Walker---------------Dawson/Kaboul-----Vertonghen--------------Rose

Lennon----------------Dembele------------Sandro-------------New wide playmaker

-----------------------------------------Bale-----------------------------------

----------------------------------------New---------------------------------------

25 man squad for next season, plus the holes which need filling, in my view :

GK - Lloris - Friedel - ???
RB - Walker - Naughton
LB - Rose - ???
CB - Vertongen - Caulker - Kaboul - Dawson
DM - Sandro - ???
CM - Dembele - ??? - Holtby - Carroll
AMs- Bale - Lennon - Townsend - Sigurdsson - ???
CF - ??? - Adebayor - Defoe

in order of priority id list it as :

creative central midfielder
genuine wing forward
first choice striker
cover for Sandro
cover for Rose
cover for Lloris (focus on sweeper keeper attributes)

edit to say that possibly Carroll wouldn't need to be named in our squad? anyone know? if so id have Dempsey in there who i somehow forgot to name originally

I'm really surprised how the ever present (and in particular during our best period) BAE is being written off so easily. We complain about mercenary players but fudge me, supporters aren't much better are they??! The guy - has come back from a long term injury - has had a million different partners on the left and is off form! Granted some posters here never liked him - fair enough.

A second keeper - Friedel is finished.

A left back - Improve on Assou Ekotto, we dont know the level of Rose yet.

A right winger - Improve on Lennon, no end product.

A center back - Improve on dawson, Gallas is finished.

A center midfield to improve on Parker/Hudd

Two Strikers.

But the most important thing is someone in midfield with a lot of technique/passing. Someone like Mata, Hazard, or Cazorla.

I'm really surprised how the ever present (and in particular during our best period) BAE is being written off so easily. We complain about mercenary players but fudge me, supporters aren't much better are they??! The guy - has come back from a long term injury - has had a million different partners on the left and is off form! Granted some posters here never liked him - fair enough.

I Love BAE but AVB doesn't seem like a fan tbh and he's the manager.

on my part it's more due to the fact i think he isn't in the managers plans rather than me not wanting him here (my first choice would be Benny of last seasons form continuing as first choice LB with Rose as understudy)

My priorities:

OUT: Bentley, Gallas, Parker, Livermore, Defoe, The Bong :(, (Hudd depending on offers and if he's willing to be a squad player), (Carroll on loan), (BAE if we have a replacement)

IN: The fabled deep lying playmaker, Striker to compete with Ade, Wide forward/Attacking midfielder, (LB), (Young striker)

CM: Holtby (not an AM imho) Parker, Sandro, Huddlestone, Livermore, Dembele, Carroll (on loan)

AM: , Sigurdsson, Lennon, Townsend, Bentley

Sell the Bold players.

Also looks like BAE is out. So a LB to come in if we can find a top quality replacement - if not, give Rose the chance to prove himself in the knowledge Verts can cover if Rose doesnt cut it

Also in; creative midfielder - someone who can unlock a defense
Goalscorer from the AM area - Michu would be a good shout if the price isn't silly (but in probably would be)
A first choice striker and a young striker. Personally I would to see Javier Hernandez come in.

A second keeper - Friedel is finished.

A left back - Improve on Assou Ekotto, we dont know the level of Rose yet.

A right winger - Improve on Lennon, no end product.

A center back - Improve on dawson, Gallas is finished.

A center midfield to improve on Parker/Hudd

Two Strikers.

But the most important thing is someone in midfield with a lot of technique/passing. Someone like Mata, Hazard, or Cazorla.

4th most creative English player according to Opta (as at 5th Apr) - having created 59 chances

In:

1) Senior #9
2) Senior ballplaying CM
3) Young versatile forward
4) Young sweeper keeper

Out:

Defoe, Bentley, Hudd, Gomes, Gallas and Khumalo

:lol: You wish. I havent seen any if that this season. Maybe he does something every time I go out of the room.:-"

Im sure OPTA have a definition of what they class as a chance (shot that is blocked maybe or shot wide probably)
If so, thats appx 1.5 per game over a season.

You say you think he isn't good enough - who would you replace him with that has end product (whatever that is) and affects the opposition in the way Lennon can.
I think the impact of the pace and width he supplies tactically is often under rated - although it is evident when he doesnt play

Creative central midfielder (Pjanic, Roberto, Maher etc.)
Pick the locks attacker (Bernard, Lamela, Isco etc.)
Goalscoring striker (Benteke, Leandro, Osvaldo etc.)
A young goalkeeper (McCarthy)

How do you count a chance created anyway? If its not an assist... Very hard to tell.

He just isnt good enough.

I think that Lennon is one of our best players and his importance to the team is demonstrated every time he is out.

He has always been a liability and i think peoples judgement on him has been clouded because how he comes across as a person off the pitch.

He puts in no effort when a man has got passed him and he does not bust a gut to track back when a team counters.

Back