• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Which position do we need to strengthen?

SpurMeUp

Jimmy Cantrell
With all the Moutinho speculation, is he the right player for us? He is no doubt a quality player and we haven't replaced Modric so much as adapted to a new style of football. Having someone with quick feet, who can keep possession in the middle would be useful, especially in closing out games. On the other hand our more physical and powerful midfield has looked pretty good, plus Parker is on his way back.

We've been looking for backup/ competition for Lennon for some years I think. We suffered last year when Lennon was out. It probably cost us 3rd. And then there is a case for bringing in fresh blood at left and right back, even a CB if Dawson is sold.

If you could strengthen one position, what would you go for?

Striker.

We haven't had a really good one since Berbatov left.

Ade doesn't appear to be at all bothered this season. And JD doesn't have enough to his all round game.

Llorente? He'd be looking for a massive salary so its unlikely we'll sign him if other big teams are in for him - which they will be.

We have Dempsey as cover, but he's no striker. I'm personally very happy with Ade and Defoe. But if Ade does go to the ACN we're 'bare bones'!

For me I think its a winger. I suppose Dempsey can play on the wing. But we seem to suffer when Bale or Lennon are out. It would be good to bring in pacy cover. Or have someone like Townsend step up. Remember when Lennon hit the scene. That guy who's now at Swansea got injured, and Lennon (a £1m signing) blew everyone away.

in terms of first XI - a central playmaker is what i think we are crying out for the most - with everyone fit that would give us a strong line up and theoretically give AVB a chance to play his supposed preferred line up (433ish)

from there, id say that a more natural RWF to compete/replace Lennon would be next on the list as well as a younger forward to cover the Adebayor role.

so the infamous three of

Mouthino
Willian
Diamao

in that order basically.

despite our defense not looking too great this season i don't see too much work needed there - BAE returning will see Vertonghen move back in to the center with Kaboul (when he is fit) which totally transforms the look of the back four (3 players/positions different to what we currently have)

Last edited:
Looking at the next two windows, I would say (in order):

1) Ballplaying, ballretaining CM (i.e Moutinho)

2) Big, goalscoring #9 (i.e. Leandro or similar)

3) Young, promising LB

4) Inside forward/AM

5) Young 2nd choice GK to replace Friedel

6) Young 4th choice CB to replace Gallas and Daws

Basically 3 senior players (the Moutinho, Leandro, Willian trio already mentioned) and 3 promising young players.

in terms of first XI - a central playmaker is what i think we are crying out for the most - with everyone fit that would give us a strong line up and theoretically give AVB a chance to play his supposed preferred line up (433ish)

from there, id say that a more natural RWF to compete/replace Lennon would be next on the list as well as a younger forward to cover the Adebayor role.

so the infamous three of

Mouthino
Willian
Diamao

in that order basically.

despite our defense not looking too great this season i don't see too much work needed there - BAE returning will see Vertonghen move back in to the center with Kaboul (when he is fit) which totally transforms the look of the back four (3 players/positions different to what we currently have)

I think unfortunately Willian is the natural LWF being lined up to replace Bale in the summer.

oh does he play on the left?

bugger.

reckon we'll have Bale for at least another season tbh

Looking at the next two windows, I would say (in order):

1) Ballplaying, ballretaining CM (i.e Moutinho) Tommy Carroll

2) Big, goalscoring #9 (i.e. Leandro or similar) Harry Kane

3) Young, promising LB Danny Roooooooose

4) Inside forward/AM Cristian Ceballos

5) Young 2nd choice GK to replace Friedel Vigouroux

6) Young 4th choice CB to replace Gallas and Daws Veljkovic

Basically 3 senior players (the Moutinho, Leandro, Willian trio already mentioned) and 3 promising young players.

Seriously though, I think Carroll and Ceballos will be ones for the future featuring a fair amount next year and moving forward to become 1st team regulars IMO. With the way Danny Rose has been playing I wouldn't be suprised if he makes a push for 1st team football next year.

The one position I'd like us to look at is out wide with Bale surely leaving in 1-2 years. Would like us to look for a player with pace who can actually use 2 feet. Bale's left is World-Class no doubt but when he goes to his right it's just awful.

Think we just need to look for players who are more the passing, technical, creative type regardless of the position. No more Daws to Crouch hoof ball stuff. Proper heads-up players who want the ball at every opportunity and are comfortable with the ball at there feet.

The one position I'd like us to look at is out wide with Bale surely leaving in 1-2 years. Would like us to look for a player with pace who can actually use 2 feet. Bale's left is World-Class no doubt but when he goes to his right it's just awful. Alex Pritchard

See, everything can be solved from within :)

3) Young, promising LB

Sunderland+player+Danny+Rose+in+action

Creative mid and striker.

Plus a right wing forward, we're so obviously going to go 4-3-3 at some point.

Ben Arfa type player who can cover for the wings and also do a good job in behind the striker.

A creative midfielder (Modric type)

A Striker.

Back up / replacement LB for Benny.

Ben Arfa type player who can cover for the wings and also do a good job in behind the striker.

A creative midfielder (Modric type)

A Striker.

Back up / replacement LB for Benny.

Those are also exactly my priorities although I think only one or two will be brought in during the january window. A dream scenario that would almost guarantee at least 4th would be:

Willian (Only got 18 months left on his contract, so his value is coming down)
Isco/Pjanic (The ship might have sailed on Isco but it seems Pjanic might be available)
Llorente (Just read Antonio Conte ruled out any signings in the january window, so that's one competitor less)
Just bring Rose back in the summer.

These players might be available for around 50M, which is more or less the price of Bale.

Creative mid and striker.

Plus a right wing forward, we're so obviously going to go 4-3-3 at some point.

Agree about 4-3-3, but I think Ade might end up playing there. 13/14 line-up sort of:

---------Leandro
Willian--------------Ade

---Moutinho--Dembele
---------Sandro

BAE--Verts--Kaboul--Walker

---------Lloris

I need more creative spark. Right now we are relying on Dembele way too much. I think that we should go for someone to play behind the lone striker. Dempsey and Sig are not performing in that position. Dempsey seems to be much better playing left-mid. Sig is not tricky enough.

A forward who is like a bigger version of Defoe. Adebayor drifts wide, although it seems to suit Defoe to play up on his own at the moment. Just that if he doesn't score then he doesn't *really* add much else. An alternative would be useful.

3) Young, promising LB

Some have mentioned Rose, he is not too bad. But I think he is still more of an attacking player and not a true LB. I don't really think we have an urgent need to buy another LB too.

For the sake of discussion, the one gem in Southampton's not so impressive premier league season is Luke Shaw, he only made his debut after they lost to us in the league, so we didn't see him first hand. But in the few games he started, Southampton won 11 points (their season total is only 15), and this 17-year old kid is getting a lot of attention for his defensive attributes.

Central midfield. Said the same in the summer, saying the same now.

The stats with and without Dembele are scary and although probably somewhat caused by coincidence we have no real cover for him and it's a vital position for us.

Dempsey has shown that he can do a job when Bale isn't there, we've managed without Ade, Kaboul, BAE etc for various stretches so far this season.

Dembele can also play in more advanced positions and bringing in someone who can fill his role in central midfield would effectively also give us some cover for those more advanced positions.

Agree about 4-3-3, but I think Ade might end up playing there. 13/14 line-up sort of:

---------Leandro
Willian--------------Ade

---Moutinho--Dembele
---------Sandro

BAE--Verts--Kaboul--Walker

---------Lloris

I aint been on this forum long but one thing i've notcied you don't half talk brick in the thinking its fm13 sense.

Back