• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Where are they now - Richard Gough

Just very slightly before my time (one season or so). I heard he was very highly rated though. Him leaving sounded like one of those happenings, similar to Waddle being sold, that stopped that late 80's team from really kicking on.

Just very slightly before my time (one season or so). I heard he was very highly rated though. Him leaving sounded like one of those happenings, similar to Waddle being sold, that stopped that late 80's team from really kicking on.
It was a real shame to lose him so soon after signing him, was for personal reasons by all accounts. Him and Mabbutt were a great pairing in that 87 team.

It was a real shame to lose him so soon after signing him, was for personal reasons by all accounts. Him and Mabbutt were a great pairing in that 87 team.

He was a fantastic player. By all accounts when we bought him it was on the understanding that he would move to Rangers after a season or so. Thus it was never going to be a long term arrangement. Shame.

He was a fantastic player. By all accounts when we bought him it was on the understanding that he would move to Rangers after a season or so. Thus it was never going to be a long term arrangement. Shame.
Yeah I did wonder this, a way of circumnavigating a direct sale to a rival in the same league. A much better deal for Rangers if true than the one we openly did get Fryers!

This. Dundee refused to sell him to Rangers so he came here knowing that he would go to Rangers from us.

Nice guy, used to ping balls into his garden when he stay on Cathcart castle golf club when he was at rangers.
Was wasted as a footballer playing in a Smith team, but he was a great leader for them.
Def one that got away.

1986-87 - what an amazing season that was and its no exaggeration to say Richard Gough was a major reason why.

My abiding memory is of a calm, assured and commanding rock in our defence. As @parklane1 says he formed a truly formidable partnership with Gary Mabbutt who had previously been a box-to-box midfielder.

Back