• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What’s everyone reading?

Haven’t started it, but next up for me is The Coddling of the American Mind. Heard lots of great things about it. Interested to see where and how all this woke nonsense originated from in universities and parenting and what the solution is. The only slightly negative review I read was from the Guardian, shocker. Probably a millennial triggered by it. I read somewhere that at Brandeis university the term “trigger warning” now requires a trigger warning :D

Haven’t started it, but next up for me is The Coddling of the American Mind. Heard lots of great things about it. Interested to see where and how all this woke nonsense originated from in universities and parenting and what the solution is. The only slightly negative review I read was from the Guardian, shocker. Probably a millennial triggered by it. I read somewhere that at Brandeis university the term “trigger warning” now requires a trigger warning :D

LOL, it’s a Joe Rogan favourite so the Guardian definitely won’t like it!

In Cold Blood is a masterpiece. One of the greatest books ever written, and the first non-fiction novel. I’d recommend it to anyone.

Just read it, and I loved it. His research for this book must've been extremely thorough, and his descriptions and narration of the story is incredible.

Capote really does paint pictures in your head with his words - I could so vividly see the scenes and characters while I read it.

I can only second this recommendation.

Just read it, and I loved it. His research for this book must've been extremely thorough, and his descriptions and narration of the story is incredible.

Capote really does paint pictures in your head with his words - I could so vividly see the scenes and characters while I read it.

I can only second this recommendation.

Really pleassed you enjoyed it.

If you get the chance, this film is built around Capote's writing of the book. It's excellent too.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379725/

Really pleassed you enjoyed it.

If you get the chance, this film is built around Capote's writing of the book. It's excellent too.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379725/

Yeah, I thought about watching it now, after I read the book. I remember it premiering and Phillip Seymour Hoffman getting rave reviews, but back then I had only heard the name Truman Capote and didn't know what it was all about. Now I'll probably enjoy it a lot more.

Yeah, I thought about watching it now, after I read the book. I remember it premiering and Phillip Seymour Hoffman getting rave reviews, but back then I had only heard the name Truman Capote and didn't know what it was all about. Now I'll probably enjoy it a lot more.

In Cold Blood is indeed a masterpiece. Infamous is another film about that time, on par with Capote, both excellent.

Might give this a go

Noah Hawley - Anthem (2022)

The first big novel of 2022: an epic literary thriller set where America is right now, in which a band of unlikely heroes sets out on a quest to save one innocent life—and might end up saving us all.

Something is happening to teenagers across America, spreading through memes only they can parse.

At the Float Anxiety Abatement Center, in a suburb of Chicago, Simon Oliver is trying to recover from his sister’s tragic passing. He breaks out to join a woman named Louise and a man called The Prophet on a quest as urgent as it is enigmatic. Who lies at the end of the road? A man known as The Wizard, whose past encounter with Louise sparked her own collapse. Their quest becomes a rescue mission when they join up with a man whose sister is being held captive by the Wizard, impregnated and imprisoned in a tower.

Noah Hawley’s new novel is an adventure that finds unquenchable lights in dark corners. Unforgettably vivid characters and a plot as fast and bright as pop cinema blend in a Vonnegutian story that is as timeless as a Grimm’s fairy tale. It is a leap into the idiosyncratic pulse of the American heart, written with the bravado, literary power, and feverish foresight that have made Hawley one of our most essential writers.

Might give this a go

Noah Hawley - Anthem (2022)

The first big novel of 2022: an epic literary thriller set where America is right now, in which a band of unlikely heroes sets out on a quest to save one innocent life—and might end up saving us all.

Something is happening to teenagers across America, spreading through memes only they can parse.

At the Float Anxiety Abatement Center, in a suburb of Chicago, Simon Oliver is trying to recover from his sister’s tragic passing. He breaks out to join a woman named Louise and a man called The Prophet on a quest as urgent as it is enigmatic. Who lies at the end of the road? A man known as The Wizard, whose past encounter with Louise sparked her own collapse. Their quest becomes a rescue mission when they join up with a man whose sister is being held captive by the Wizard, impregnated and imprisoned in a tower.

Noah Hawley’s new novel is an adventure that finds unquenchable lights in dark corners. Unforgettably vivid characters and a plot as fast and bright as pop cinema blend in a Vonnegutian story that is as timeless as a Grimm’s fairy tale. It is a leap into the idiosyncratic pulse of the American heart, written with the bravado, literary power, and feverish foresight that have made Hawley one of our most essential writers.

Sounds like "The Wizard of Oz":oops:

Lowbrow but fun - ‘And Away…’, the mighty Bob Mortimer’s autobiography.
Enjoying it.
Don't really do books apart from a few sports biographies but Bob is one of my favourite people and his book has had some laugh out loud moments. Some of it has been mentioned in the 'Gone fishing' series and 'would I lie to you'. Picked it up for a tenner, bargain.

Back