• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What Would You Do? - Summer Ins and Out

It's worth giving Lennon a proper shot with Pochettino. I think his regression is a result of him being mismanaged by several managers, there being no long term goal of what type of player he is to be.

He for me is a player that can be a real asset in a system which makes use of his attributes. He looked promising yesterday.

But it's so early in Pochs reign. We are a long way off his vision for us, and we dont look like spanking any one 7-0 the way United did LA Galaxy. But these games are so useful so us right now

It's worth giving Lennon a proper shot with Pochettino. I think his regression is a result of him being mismanaged by several managers, there being no long term goal of what type of player he is to be.

He for me is a player that can be a real asset in a system which makes use of his attributes. He looked promising yesterday.

But it's so early in Pochs reign. We are a long way off his vision for us, and we dont look like spanking any one 7-0 the way United did LA Galaxy. But these games are so useful so us right now

Agreed. And if Poch wants to go the route of high pressing then he needs diligent players willing to do a lot of organized and systematic running. To me Lennon fits that whilst also being a very tidy ball player.

I found it a bit interesting that after Lamela scored twice yesterday one of the things said by Poch in the press conference was that Lamela had to show that he deserves to play. I would think that for a lot of managers scoring two goals would have been that proof, but I think Poch might be talking about other things.

If we try to play a high pressing style a lot of the time, and we play a 4-2-3-1 looking formation with Lamela, Eriksen and Townsend as that attacking 3 I think it will very often be very open and our back 4 will be exposed as a result. Metalgear posted this in the preseason thread:

Mauricio-pochettino-4-2-3-1.jpg

[top]Overall objectives of Mauricio Pochettino
Overall, the objectives of Pochettino’s formation and philosophy are:

1. To pass the ball vertically.
- Whether this is in to the centre forward for runners to go past him or to get it out wide to get in order to cross the ball.

2. Be fluid in all forms off attack.
- You will quite often see Lallana, Lambert and Rodriguez changing positions, as they seek to keep the defence guessing where they’ll be. This can often put a defence off balance.

3. To crowd and always have a man over in central midfield.
- This is where the player on the right, often Steven Davis, was beneficial. He would drift inside to create four players in the middle. Moving in with Wanyama, Schneiderlin and Lallana outnumbers teams who play three men in the centre.

4. Regain the ball through intense pressing.
- This helps dominate possession and generates scoring chances through winning the ball closer to the opponent’s goal.

5. Quick transition times between defence and attack
- This is done through pressing, players inter-changing positions and vertical passing.

To me Lennon is a player that could do a job in that Steven Davis role for example and give players like Lamela and Eriksen more freedom to do their thing.

Agreed. And if Poch wants to go the route of high pressing then he needs diligent players willing to do a lot of organized and systematic running. To me Lennon fits that whilst also being a very tidy ball player.

If we try to play a high pressing style a lot of the time, and we play a 4-2-3-1 looking formation with Lamela, Eriksen and Townsend as that attacking 3 I think it will very often be very open and our back 4 will be exposed as a result.

when the wing backs go up there will be a lot of space for the opposition to play into and we will require very mobile CBs to go wide if necessary, and a "chain-link" effect with the DMs pulling down into central defence as make shift CBs.

experience and anticipation will play a big part here and I feel that Verts though not fast will excel in this "intellectual responsibility", so would Sandro do well in ending moves in midfield (and taking a yellow for the team if necessary).

BUT there will be mistakes, there will be times when we will be cut open probably due to sheer speed and mobility of the opponents attack, and i think at least in our first year we will be caught flat footed a number of times, before we learn to synch up properly.

From watching the world cup, Holland and Germany demonstrated time and again how to exploit the space behind/between defenders, I trust that Poch is working out countermeasures, otherwise we're going to see the continuation of some amazing scorelines.

As footballers come, lennon is far ahead of Townsend. In regards to danger to the opposition, shooting ability than based on that Townsend is better.

Personally I'd keep Lennon over him. But I wouldn't sleep over losing any.

when the wing backs go up there will be a lot of space for the opposition to play into and we will require very mobile CBs to go wide if necessary, and a "chain-link" effect with the DMs pulling down into central defence as make shift CBs.

experience and anticipation will play a big part here and I feel that Verts though not fast will excel in this "intellectual responsibility", so would Sandro do well in ending moves in midfield (and taking a yellow for the team if necessary).

BUT there will be mistakes, there will be times when we will be cut open probably due to sheer speed and mobility of the opponents attack, and i think at least in our first year we will be caught flat footed a number of times, before we learn to synch up properly.

From watching the world cup, Holland and Germany demonstrated time and again how to exploit the space behind/between defenders, I trust that Poch is working out countermeasures, otherwise we're going to see the continuation of some amazing scorelines.

Well, if both wing/full backs go up then a midfielder will usually drop in between the centre backs to leave 3 at the back. Slightly different, but also fairly similar to a more traditional back 4 pushing up only one of the two full backs. There really shouldn't be much more space against counter attacks.

Usually when organized and pressing high the wing backs won't be much further forward than the centre backs.

But the point remains that if we press high we must do so as a unit, with every player doing his job diligently. No room for passengers. Part of why most international teams struggle to execute a high pressing game I think, little time to practice and implement and not the same options available in player selection/transfers.

Looking at some of the successful high pressing teams in recent years I do feel that raw pace at the back gets overstated. Central defenders like Pique and Hummels are not exactly rapid, and I would say probably slower than Vertonghen. You just cannot expect your centre backs to beat or even keep up with quick strikers if left exposed by runners and the players playing the through balls are given time and space. Defending well one on one when the ball is on the ground is more important, and pace is a part of that, but only a part. And acceleration, turning speed and being "quick footed" is arguably more important than top speed.

Looking at some of the successful high pressing teams in recent years I do feel that raw pace at the back gets overstated. Central defenders like Pique and Hummels are not exactly rapid, and I would say probably slower than Vertonghen. You just cannot expect your centre backs to beat or even keep up with quick strikers if left exposed by runners and the players playing the through balls are given time and space. Defending well one on one when the ball is on the ground is more important, and pace is a part of that, but only a part. And acceleration, turning speed and being "quick footed" is arguably more important than top speed.

yes agree, for cb's its "effective speed" that is more important than "raw speed". kaboul is faster than both verts and crich, but add in situational awareness and decision making, kaboul will often be slowest. the other thing is also about imposing oneself or marking "space". seeing how southampton play its a team effort between CBs, keeper and either FB.

yes agree, for cb's its "effective speed" that is more important than "raw speed". kaboul is faster than both verts and crich, but add in situational awareness and decision making, kaboul will often be slowest. the other thing is also about imposing oneself or marking "space". seeing how southampton play its a team effort between CBs, keeper and either FB.

Succintly put, and I agree with both your points and braineclipse's.

Back