• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What would Jenas do?

You had to really feel for ol' JJ today...you could see how gutted he was on MOTD tonight, especially surrounded with so many Mancs as he mentioned...

While there is certainly something to be said for refreshing the team, a graphic of seven players who have stayed five years is meaningless. How many years did the following players play for Ferguson?

Giggs, Scholes, Neville (x2), Keane, Beckham, Butt, Rio, Rooney, Schmeichel, Solskjær, Fletcher, Brown, O'Shea, etc. I'd say he always had a core of players who had been mainstays of the team for five years or more.

While there is certainly something to be said for refreshing the team, a graphic of seven players who have stayed five years is meaningless. How many years did the following players play for Ferguson?

Giggs, Scholes, Neville (x2), Keane, Beckham, Butt, Rio, Rooney, Schmeichel, Solskjær, Fletcher, Brown, O'Shea, etc. I'd say he always had a core of players who had been mainstays of the team for five years or more.

I dare say they’re a different kettle of fish to what Pochettino has though. At the core of Alex Ferguson’s squad was one of the finest youth team vintages in history who’d run through walls for their club, whilst the only one of those we have is Kane who seems to be struggling to cope with all the dressing room schisms; although I guess Winks might have become quite influential too in recent months.

On top of that Fergie spent a then record fee on Roy Keane who had that elite win at all costs mentality we’ve probably not been blessed with in Spurs midfield since Dave Mackay.

Ferdinand and Rooney were also transfer records (back when ManU used the rest of EPL as feeder clubs like Bayern do Bundesliga) and perhaps if we’d been able to match the wages that Liverpool offered Mane in 2016 then he could’ve been able to provide that extra cutting edge we needed these past 3 seasons to get our hands on one of those major titles we got so close to... then again maybe Lucas Moura could’ve become our Solskjaer...

Just been highlighted on Match of the Day too...

View attachment 7365

rather flimflam-argument, really, unless you factor in what their squad was like at the time! They had a average age of the players used at around 25, with several major players in their final years.
Liverpool 2014/15 had Steven Gerrard (35), Kolo Toure (34), Rickie Lambert (33), Martin Skrtl and Glen Johnson (30), Jose Enrique (29), Simon Mignolet, and Adam Lallana (27) in their first-team, it would be a bloody miracle if they hadn't shifted their squad over the last five years. I'd rather ask the question what the fu*k happened to all the under-21-year-olds in that squad? Apart from Coutinho and Sterling they seem to have vanished from the face of the earth.

To suggest that we should have shifted any of those Spurs-players on that board just for the sake of it is ludicrous. Our 11 most used players that season had an average age of 23 years, versus 27 for Liverpool. Again, it is a ludicrous idea to compare those two squads.

Mind you, I'm not disagreeing with the point they try to make, that you need to have some refreshment in the squad. But even so, most, if not all of those on that board would still be there unless we also in that same period had changed manager and style. (which Liverpool did, as Klopp came in october 2015..)

Back