• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What would Jenas do?

He has one = Alli

I'm surprised how people don't spend more time on the similarities .. both great athletes, both with great box to box ability, can play deep or forward, can score ...

I see it with these two in terms of ability, strengths etc .. but haven't mentioned it after my comments on Kane people will think I am on the wind up. I just hope that Ali has the mental strength/desire to be the best that I dont think Jenas had, in the small amount of games that he has played for us I think we have seen glimpses it is there...

I see it with these two in terms of ability, strengths etc .. but haven't mentioned it after my comments on Kane people will think I am on the wind up. I just hope that Ali has the mental strength/desire to be the best that I dont think Jenas had, in the small amount of games that he has played for us I think we have seen glimpses it is there...

with Jenas it is hard to tell if it was mental strength or just desire .. he got comfortable too early

I was about to say the same. I think that Poch would have done well with a young Jenas.
The one thing Poch would have changed, he would have got him passing forward more often instead of sideways and backwards.

Which would have made all the difference - cf Dembele.

Jenna's had it all just never realised it his head IMO. When you look at how lampard improved through hard work and positive attitude, I believe there could have been a similar step up from jenas

He had down very good games and was excellent vs the arse a lot (when they were genuinely good). He also looked ok for England

Alli has the similarities and jenas has already commented on it. Alli has the right man to lead him and I think we will see that upward curve that Jenas didn't quite get too

Well said, Milo!

I wonder how many players - Chris Armstrong is another example - would have developed into so much better footballers if they had been properly supported rather than bear-bated....

Probably never had the right mind set in the first place if that's what held them back. Not that the crowd at WHL was ever genuinely on Jenas' back from what i remember

I like Jenas, I think he maybe found his level and wasn't about attitude because he has developed into a good TV man and seems a nice bloke.

I agree that the most frustrating thing about Jenas was that he gave glimpses of having it all but never developed the potential. He was a good solid player for us.

As a pundit I see much the same. He gives simple clear and reliable analysis, without wrapping it in mumbo-jumbo. He isn't going to develop into a top pundit because our media loves personalities, but long may he continue.

I agree that the most frustrating thing about Jenas was that he gave glimpses of having it all but never developed the potential. He was a good solid player for us.

As a pundit I see much the same. He gives simple clear and reliable analysis, without wrapping it in mumbo-jumbo. He isn't going to develop into a top pundit because our media loves personalities, but long may he continue.

I don't know about personalities, it seems to just be about being well known. BT have Owen, Scholes, Rio and Gerrard. About as dull as it can get.

Story of unfulfilled potential. Wonder how it would have worked out for him if it was a move to a Pochettino lead Spurs he got early in his career...
This. Coaches make the difference. Could be said about Aaron Lennon too. Perhaps a young Lennon under Pochettino could have been so different.

think he's a good pundit. Not as stupid as most of them

Scored some crackers in his time. Also had a knack of scoring against Arsenal which is always good for a Spurs player. I still think one of my favourite memories of going to games was some bellend behind me screaming "YOU'RE brick JENAS" literally seconds before he scored that last minute equaliser against the scum. That performance against them in the 5-1 semi-final was one of the most complete central midfield performances I can remember from anyone and he provided the free-kick to assist the winner in the final.

He was bloody brilliant when he first came through at Saudi Sportswashing Machine. In his first season they came quite close to winning the title and he beat Rooney to Young Player of the Year in what was also his breakthrough season. I was over the moon when we got him. Sadly though, I can't say he improved much from his teenage years through to when he eventually left us. Robson, Jol, Ramos, Redknapp, Eriksson, McClaren and Capello all saw something in him and kept picking him regularly, but the problem was for every match winning performance from him he'd then go 5 games in a row where you completely forgot he was playing.

Good luck to him though. Seems like a decent pundit and is also quite pro-Spurs, which is nice.

One game in 20 he was unplayable - right up with the top in the world, gutted he couldn't do it on demand.

I have already said before he has been the player who has most frustrated me over 50 years of watching Spurs, he had all the ability to go right to the top but only showed it on occasions.

Back