• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What has been Daniel Levy's greatest contribution / decision as chairman of Spurs?

What has been Daniel Levy's greatest contribution / decision as chairman of Spurs?

• Appointing AVB

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: What has been Daniel Levy's greatest contribution / decision as chairman of Spurs

Good thread jimmy, all of the above :)

I'd say the first one summarises what he has achieved.

Re: What has been Daniel Levy's greatest contribution / decision as chairman of Spurs

Having a clear vision for the club that has seen it progress steadily.

Golfball - imv, As well as others i presume, the DoF periods here not only laid the foundations for Redknapps success they indirectly played a part as well - the superior talent in our squad was signed in this time as well as the scouting work and links which we used after it was replaced - not to mention that during these periods we we improved significantly from mid/lower table nobodies to legitimate Best of the Rests

Always knew this thread will come up as soon as I posted the Levy's Worst Decision thread.:lol:

You cannot deny the fact Levy has done so many good things for Spurs during his time as Spurs chairman. He has made us into one of the strongest clubs financially. But the problem is we have only won 1 trophy during his 12 years as Spurs chairman. I think the chairmanship of Alan Sugar (1991-2001) and Levy must have been the most unsuccessfull period in Spurs history.

I think the chairmanship of Alan Sugar (1991-2001) and Levy must have been the most unsuccessfull period in Spurs history.

That period also coincide with the era in modern english football history that it's most difficult to compete in without having the same kind of money as the competition,
while also being the time Tottenham Hotspur have been furthest away from other clubs financially since the second world war.
Money rule this game now, and surprise surprise - as we have grown financially under Levy's reign we've overtaken most clubs.
Chasing clubs far out of our financial reach (United, City, Chelsea), on even terms with Arsenal, and well ahead of Liverpool who's still above of us financially.

great thread jimmyb. again id say all of the above, levy really is a great chairman and runs the clubs finances like his own bank, not throwing money away at every opportunity like some fans want him to

People may bitch about Levy with the way he deals with transfers but im delighted by how we have progressed since our first 5th place finish. People seem to forget how dire we were before that.

maybe they're too young to know how frustrating it was during the years where we had hoddle, gascoigne, klinnsman and still got nowhere.

Always knew this thread will come up as soon as I posted the Levy's Worst Decision thread.:lol:

You cannot deny the fact Levy has done so many good things for Spurs during his time as Spurs chairman. He has made us into one of the strongest clubs financially. But the problem is we have only won 1 trophy during his 12 years as Spurs chairman. I think the chairmanship of Alan Sugar (1991-2001) and Levy must have been the most unsuccessfull period in Spurs history.

:-k

Yawn.
All you have to do is look at our competitors for silverware.
First of all you have the "Sky 4" who for years were dominant.

Manchester United - Can throw money around just from their revenue.
Chelsea - One word; Abramovich.
Arsenal
Liverpool

Then, you have;

Emirates Marketing Project - The sheikhs have came along and invested almost half a billion into their club. We simply cannot compete with that.

Then;

Everton - Always been our competitors for silverware.
Saudi Sportswashing Machine
Villa

The group above has been around our level in the premiership era, although a couple have now dropped away.

I think its a very, very lazy argument indeed when you have to resort to the trophies won. All you have to do is look at competition. Sadly, im grateful for even the one trophy we have.
The question is, where were you when we were brick?

:eek:

that's interesting, you could argue though, that had Sugar taken a punt at the start of the PL era rather than taking the common sense low risk approach that had served Enic so well we might have got lucky and got a seat at the top table from the start

Changing the biscuits in the staff canteen.

I think all of those are intertwined so I went for the vision one. That is the reason behind a lot of the other good things happening for us.

Hate to be picky, but most of the options are outcomes, not really decisions (and contributions is stretching it). It could be argued for the first couple options, it was in spite of anything Levy did.

For me, the best decision he made was bringing Arnesen in and endorsing the policy of bringing in talented youngsters from all over Europe as wel as a core base of English youngsters. It was that first flurry of transfers of players like Pedro Mendes, Erik Edman that I think set us up for where we are today. Not all of them came off, but without that approach, arguably we wouldn't have attempted to get Bale, Lennon, Thudd, Modric, Berbatov and others.

Please don't take this thread off topic.

As I posted in the negative thread, I didn't like the Jol fiasco one little bit but that aside, for me Daniel Levy is the best thing to happen to our club in maybe 20 years.

Having a clear vision for the club that has seen it progress steadily.

I think all of those are intertwined so I went for the vision one. That is the reason behind a lot of the other good things happening for us.

Me too. The clear vision that has seen us progress steadily, has taken us from mid table mediocrity to perennial top four challengers, despite a huge financial disadvantage, a long-term strategy that is both prudent and ambitious and has delivered a world class, universally acclaimed new training centre and is about to deliver a world class, new stadium that will enable the club to compete on more level terms.

That period also coincide with the era in modern english football history that it's most difficult to compete in without having the same kind of money as the competition,
while also being the time Tottenham Hotspur have been furthest away from other clubs financially since the second world war.
Money rule this game now, and surprise surprise - as we have grown financially under Levy's reign we've overtaken most clubs.
Chasing clubs far out of our financial reach (United, City, Chelsea), on even terms with Arsenal, and well ahead of Liverpool who's still above of us financially.

Agreed. The Scholar era left us in a financial hole, just as finance would become more important in determining success. Sugar rescued us and steadied the ship, but left us in the doldrums. Under Levy we've caught a fair wind and, despite the odd storm, are heading in the right direction.

Last edited:

Golfball - imv, As well as others i presume, the DoF periods here not only laid the foundations for Redknapps success they indirectly played a part as well - the superior talent in our squad was signed in this time as well as the scouting work and links which we used after it was replaced - not to mention that during these periods we we improved significantly from mid/lower table nobodies to legitimate Best of the Rests

Agreed but he still took a club that has a history of bottling it too the Champions League quarter final. Our run during the 09/10 season was the hardest of the top contenders and yet we managed to beat Arsenal who we hadn't managed to beat in 9 years, and Chelsea who were flying and were smashing teams by 7 and 8 goals towards the end of that season.

none of the above

one lge cup in 12 years

worst since 1934, pathetic

So true.

It has never been harder to win trophies than it is now. There is no level playing field, as there was prior to 1992.

Back