• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

What do you want?

League finishes of the last 10 Cup winners
5th
3th
4th
18th
6th
3rd
1st
3rd
8th
2nd

Its usually a consolation for a team that fudges up in the league who turns up to beat the likes of Palace, Villa, Hull, Stoke, Portsmouth, Everton or Cardiff.

Back in the day it was huge thing worth winning, as prestigious as the league itself. Its really not now.

It's not as prestigious as the league trophy anymore, but neither is it just a jolly day out for the fans and nothing more. Again, how we can turn our noses up at a trophy we haven't won since 1991, to chase another trophy we haven't come close to winning since before colour television was widely introduced, while consoling ourselves with the *one* solitary League Cup we've won in the past decade and a half amidst United, Chelsea, City, Liverpool and Arsenal winning multiple League and FA Cups in that same time frame is just...incomprehensible to me. It seems quixotic in the extreme.

Plus, in the future it may well be that the FA Cup matters again as a competition of prestige. Saying then that we should start competing again when United, Arsenal, Chelsea and co. have 20+ FA cups to their name while we're resolutely stuck on 8 (and this in a competition that was once 'ours') will do no good whatsoever.

League finishes of the last 10 Cup winners
5th
3th
4th
18th
6th
3rd
1st
3rd
8th
2nd

Its usually a consolation for a team that fudges up in the league who turns up to beat the likes of Palace, Villa, Hull, Stoke, Portsmouth, Everton or Cardiff.

Back in the day it was huge thing worth winning, as prestigious as the league itself. Its really not now.
Yep.

When the club that wins the FA Cup sacks their manager the following day you know it has become a second rate competition.

They need to give the winners the 4th CL spot, rather than 4th place in the league. That would sort it. But sadly there's too much unpredictability in cup competitions.

I'd give it the direct entry and make 3rd in the league have the qualifiers

if I wanted to fix the fa cup

I have to admit this is my feeling as well, I hate the way/what football is now and if it was not for having Spurs in my heart I would have walked away from the game before now.

And I say that after playing it, working in it and watching it for most of my life.

Its sad ey? And I am like you, I have worked in it, footballs an almost unrecognisable beast these days

I want to see us win something but not at any cost. I don't think it is a matter of choosing which competition to compete in really. Sure, there may be a time where the manager needs to make a decision as to whether he plays his strongest team in one game when another game is only a couple of days away, but that is no different if we were to have two league games a couple of days apart. When I look back on a season, what makes me happy are the good memories. The more of them (and typically these will be victories!) there are, the happier I am with the season.

Would I swap the season we have just had with Man United's? Hell no. They played turgid, boring football, and even their victories were hard work and not very pleasing on the eye. We had a number of games where we simply blew the opposition away, including some memorable victories against Emirates Marketing Project, United and Stoke. What do I remember of this season just gone? Simple:

1. The title fight. We were never favourites, but I was genuinely excited. I would wake up on a Saturday, Sunday or Monday excited and sick with fear/anticipation for what would happen to my team. Would we win, would I see a magical bit of skill or team play? My emotions were all over the place because of what this team made me believe;
2. Our youngsters. I mean if the fact that we are the backbone of the new look England team and the Belgium team is not enough, we have witnessed our players show a huge amount of development. They went from a bunch of individuals into an effective team. Who would have guessed that Dier would establish himself as the best english defensive midfielder? Who would have guessed that Alli would be compared to Gerrard, nutmeg nearly every team and score goals including that goal;
3. Our manager - The way he conducted himself throughout the season endeared him to me. I was proud to have such a man as our manager;
4. Dembele and Lamela proving the doubters wrong and just becoming immense;
5. There were a number of moments this season where WHL literally made the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. It made me feel like a kid again.

All those reasons are why I love this team. Would I have traded all of that for an FA Cup? No. Would winning an FA Cup have made this season a lot better. Hell yes. Would it have meant more than finishing above that lot down the road? Absolutely.

Here's what i want in no particular order :

1) My wife to stop spending money like its literally growing on trees

2) my parents to die without suffering in any way

3) a living wage to be instituted in every country

4) Muslim extremism to be curtailed (will never happen though)

5) Tottenham not to sell any player

6) Wenger to sign a 5 year contract

7) to fly first class to australia

8) to actually save someone's life

9) to see my daughter change lives ( I know she will)

10) to leave some sort of legacy

carry on

Three wishes, and the third to ask for another 3. Repeat.

I wanted Champions League, we got it. Now I want us to win something, preferably the league, and qualify for the Champions League again.

I have to say, bar the last few matches of the season, I've been massively enjoying watching us this season. I want us to score goals, play well, work hard and entertain. The rest will follow. We didn't win anything this year, but if we keep this formula going for a few years, we will no doubt win things as it will naturally follow. I'd much rather have a well playing high scoring team that nearly misses out on a trophy than a boring defensive side nicking a league cup. Because as long as there is promise in a team, good things will inevitably follow.

.. Plus, in the future it may well be that the FA Cup matters again as a competition of prestige. Saying then that we should start competing again when United, Arsenal, Chelsea and co. have 20+ FA cups to their name while we're resolutely stuck on 8 (and this in a competition that was once 'ours') will do no good whatsoever.

ALL TIME FA CUP WINS

Top Ten

12 Arsenal
11 Manchester United
8 Tottenham Hotspur
7 Liverpool
7 Chelsea
7 Aston Villa
6 Saudi Sportswashing Machine
6 Blackburn Rovers
6 Emirates Marketing Project
5 Everton
5 West Bromwich Albion

Last edited:
ALL TIME FA CUP WINS

Top Ten

12 Arsenal
11 Manchester United
8 Tottenham Hotspur
7 Liverpool
7 Chelsea
7 Aston Villa
6 Saudi Sportswashing Machine
6 Blackburn Rovers
6 Emirates Marketing Project
5 Everton
5 West Bromwich Albion

Yes, and that list is supposed to indicate that.....?

They need to give the winners the 4th CL spot, rather than 4th place in the league. That would sort it. But sadly there's too much unpredictability in cup competitions.

Whats sad about cup competitions being unpredictable? is that not what makes cup competitions so special?

Back