• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Welbeck

Bonsaiboy

Steven Caulker
Wind Up Merchant
Available, apparently, and gettable. Worth a punt? I'd say yes. I think Adebayor will decline rapidly in quality and attitude this season.

i think he's a great player and he'd really do well here. right attitude, and has potential to do really well. under 10m and im a massive fan.

Wouldn't be a bad squad player, but not good enough to be first choice here and there's no point moving from United's bench to our bench.

Misses too many chances for my liking.

I think he's got the tools to flourish, if he was given a go as the main man.

he does have all the tools to flourish I agree with this, though there is a whiff of the Emile Heskey about him, all the tools but liable to frustrate and not score as many goals as he should.

What are those tools? Apart from a good work ethic, I don't see anything he's particularly good at. A poor man's Dirk Kuyt.

Confidence, determination, pace and decent technique and finishing. He's not far away from Sturridge in terms of ability and I think a similar run in the first-team would see him flourish.

Confidence, determination, pace and decent technique and finishing. He's not far away from Sturridge in terms of ability and I think a similar run in the first-team would see him flourish.

Actually would fit in well in Poch system as he would fill the Rodriguez position - left sided hard working striker who outs in a good shift tracking back

If it were a loan with an option to buy, and we don't get Remy - would consider it seriously...

In my opinion he's just ****ing awful to be honest. And I've watched him a lot.

Seems like a complete gob****e as well.

I have no idea why anyone would want a striker like that in our team now, no strength, no awareness no build up play but has pace, employs the same technique as Gabriel Obertan in that he has no idea quite what he's trying to do with the ball and sometimes this pays dividends because the defender also is none the wiser as to what Danny boy is trying to do, so sometimes it works out but mostly he'll just lose the ball.

12, 6, and 10 goals in the last three seasons. In 115 appearances for utd. Maybe last seasons not a fair judge but before that he was playing with quality players for one of the best managers. Stats aren't the be all and end all but it doesn't look too pretty and if you watch him play for a whole game it's also not too pretty.

Potentially he could go the way of Sturridge and fulfill his potential because he obviously has some sort of talent, but our track record with strikers and the coaching of those strikers hasn't exactly been impeccable recently, I just don't see him being a success with us. I'd be pretty close to giving up on the season if we signed him, I think it would be akin or even worse than the Frazier Campbell signing.

In my opinion he's just ****ing awful to be honest. And I've watched him a lot.

Seems like a complete gob****e as well.

I have no idea why anyone would want a striker like that in our team now, no strength, no awareness no build up play but has pace, employs the same technique as Gabriel Obertan in that he has no idea quite what he's trying to do with the ball and sometimes this pays dividends because the defender also is none the wiser as to what Danny boy is trying to do, so sometimes it works out but mostly he'll just lose the ball.

12, 6, and 10 goals in the last three seasons. In 115 appearances for utd. Maybe last seasons not a fair judge but before that he was playing with quality players for one of the best managers. Stats aren't the be all and end all but it doesn't look too pretty and if you watch him play for a whole game it's also not too pretty.

Potentially he could go the way of Sturridge and fulfill his potential because he obviously has some sort of talent, but our track record with strikers and the coaching of those strikers hasn't exactly been impeccable recently, I just don't see him being a success with us. I'd be pretty close to giving up on the season if we signed him, I think it would be akin or even worse than the Frazier Campbell signing.

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/danny-welbeck-performances-2014-15.393916/page-18

Again, the fans who watch him week in, week out have a different opinion of his abilities. I'd like him here, if he's content with being the first choice LWF. I get a feeling that him and Kane could be our Rodriguez and Lambert combo, with very similar roles (Kane winning the ball with his strength and then dropping deep, looking to play in Welbeck who has by that point cut into the central positions), and I'd certainly like to see pace and relentless pressing on both our flanks, which Welbeck and Lamela would provide.

There are a lot of upsides to this one. If he wants to play as a CF alone, then it would be a different proposition (Kane's the one I want to see given minutes there), but if he's happy with being our absolute first-choice LWF and occasional competitive CF, then 12 million seems a steal for someone of his quality.

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/danny-welbeck-performances-2014-15.393916/page-18

Again, the fans who watch him week in, week out have a different opinion of his abilities. I'd like him here, if he's content with being the first choice LWF. I get a feeling that him and Kane could be our Rodriguez and Lambert combo, with very similar roles (Kane winning the ball with his strength and then dropping deep, looking to play in Welbeck who has by that point cut into the central positions), and I'd certainly like to see pace and relentless pressing on both our flanks, which Welbeck and Lamela would provide.

There are a lot of upsides to this one. If he wants to play as a CF alone, then it would be a different proposition (Kane's the one I want to see given minutes there), but if he's happy with being our absolute first-choice LWF and occasional competitive CF, then 12 million seems a steal for someone of his quality.

I wouldn't mind him, but also wouldn't be super excited about him. Not sure I would be happy about him being made first choice LWF as I think we'll need quite a bit of rotation with the other options we have as I don't think he's clearly better in that role than some of our other options.

Would seem like a Poch-esque player though. Hard working, physical, versatile, with some pretty clear ability to add to that. He's never quite lived up to what he showed in that first half a season after returning to United from his Sunderland loan (wasn't that when he was so impressive?), but he's still fairly young and looks impressive in patches at least. Would give us another powerful, tall option up front too if Ade keeps being unimpressive.

What are those tools? Apart from a good work ethic, I don't see anything he's particularly good at. A poor man's Dirk Kuyt.

I think he's got a lot of skill and ability, he's just inconsistent. Works very hard, very quick and determined, good shot. Has played well for them in big games too, which shows he has a little something about him imo.

His skill set would be of far more use to us than Soldado imo. Not been prolific with goals, but he has played wide a lot, had to "do a job" as a defensive forward a lot of the time (bit like Kuyt, as you mentioned). Last season was his best for goals yet in the league, 9 goals in 25 appearances. For a team that wants to push high and press, we could get a lot out of him either playing wide or through the middle.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want us to pay massive money for him, but I think for a low sort of fee, he'd be worth a try. Remember when Sturridge was available for around £12m (??) or whatever, and most people weren't fussed about Liverpool getting him. Not saying Welbeck will turn out like that, but he could step up a further level if given the chance, imo

*edit - i say "imo" way too much haha.

I just haven't seen quality when I've watched him play (which has been a lot of times). England aside as that's not a fair judge for any player seemingly he is just awful. I'm not sure what relevance the link you sent me had as it showed that there is a mixture of opinions on his ability. One of the key sentences being "Bambi on ice in front of goal".

He's nowhere near the finished product and you can tell that by looking at his goal scoring record. I think he has the potential to become really good in time, but with our track record of ending striker's ability to do anything and the echos of the never fickle modern day crowd at the lane I think it would make for horrible viewing. Even with Fergie coaching him he was ****.

Kane's looking like the player we hoped he would be, Lamela's looking keen, even Soldado scored a goal the other day and currently there's not a mental story involving Ade. Our striker situation is looking relatively healthy for once and whilst we should always be looking to upgrade, getting mediocre high wage gob****ey bodies in when we already have a bloated squad just doesn't make sense to me.

I just haven't seen quality when I've watched him play (which has been a lot of times). England aside as that's not a fair judge for any player seemingly he is just awful. I'm not sure what relevance the link you sent me had as it showed that there is a mixture of opinions on his ability. One of the key sentences being "Bambi on ice in front of goal".

He's nowhere near the finished product and you can tell that by looking at his goal scoring record. I think he has the potential to become really good in time, but with our track record of ending striker's ability to do anything and the echos of the never fickle modern day crowd at the lane I think it would make for horrible viewing. Even with Fergie coaching him he was ****.

Kane's looking like the player we hoped he would be, Lamela's looking keen, even Soldado scored a goal the other day and currently there's not a mental story involving Ade. Our striker situation is looking relatively healthy for once and whilst we should always be looking to upgrade, getting mediocre high wage gob****ey bodies in when we already have a bloated squad just doesn't make sense to me.

I'm not looking for him to be a pure CF: I agree that we've got some good players there now, and shouldn't be rushing to add to that bunch. I'm looking for him to play the same role that Rodriguez did for Poch at Southampton: namely, the left-sided CF cutting in from out wide. That's where I think he'd excel. I've watched him for both England and United, and again, a lot of people underrate his skills and footballing intelligence. Yes, he's far from the finished product. But I think we can make him that finished product, especially with Poch at the helm (the same Poch that turned Rodriguez into the player that led both us and Liverpool on a merry chase this summer despite him being injured).

At the LWF position, we've got a bit of a problem: Chadli's not really pacy enough to offer our deep-lying playmakers a quick long pass option on breakaways or turnovers from deep: his strength and aerial ability suit that role, but not his pace. Townsend's got pace and ability, but his decision making's bad enough that we can't rely on him being our LWF throughout the season. In my eyes, Welbeck is the ideal package for Poch on the left-wing: hard working, defends from the front, pacy, strong, good in the air, and can drift across the front line with ease. Everything else (composure, finishing) can be imparted to him via some good coaching and some confidence. At the moment, we'd be mad to pass him up, imo.

If we'd gotten Depay we wouldn't be having this conversation, but we missed out on him for whatever reason, so now we do need to look at other options on that wing.

I'm not looking for him to be a pure CF: I agree that we've got some good players there now, and shouldn't be rushing to add to that bunch. I'm looking for him to play the same role that Rodriguez did for Poch at Southampton: namely, the left-sided CF cutting in from out wide. That's where I think he'd excel. I've watched him for both England and United, and again, a lot of people underrate his skills and footballing intelligence. Yes, he's far from the finished product. But I think we can make him that finished product, especially with Poch at the helm (the same Poch that turned Rodriguez into the player that led both us and Liverpool on a merry chase this summer despite him being injured).

At the LWF position, we've got a bit of a problem: Chadli's not really pacy enough to offer our deep-lying playmakers a quick long pass option on breakaways or turnovers from deep: his strength and aerial ability suit that role, but not his pace. Townsend's got pace and ability, but his decision making's bad enough that we can't rely on him being our LWF throughout the season. In my eyes, Welbeck is the ideal package for Poch on the left-wing: hard working, defends from the front, pacy, strong, good in the air, and can drift across the front line with ease. Everything else (composure, finishing) can be imparted to him via some good coaching and some confidence. At the moment, we'd be mad to pass him up, imo.

If we'd gotten Depay we wouldn't be having this conversation, but we missed out on him for whatever reason, so now we do need to look at other options on that wing.

I think if Welbeck moves it'll be to somewhere that he can be the main man. I'm not sure if he's really in to the Dirk Kuyt comparison, I might be wrong but I would say he see's himself playing in the center, happy to be proved wrong if there's been interviews saying otherwise as per.

You say a lot of people under rate him, but obviously there's no objective measurement of what is over rating and what is under rating. I make my rating based on watching a player play games funnily enough, and from watching Welbeck I'd say it's generous to have the word intelligence anywhere near the kid at present. He shows good skill occasionally but very rarely well implemented to actually gain something from it. And I just don't believe we have the capability to teach composure and finishing, same **** different season, new flashy manager isn't going to solve our striker's issues with the wave of a magic wand/clipboard so bringing in a striker who already has severe competence problems in those areas doesn't bode well.

I know pretty much nothing about Depay so I can't comment on that, did you watch much of him in the Dutch league last season? Ironically I think Siggy would have been the best shout for a LWF but only if we have a midfield that have concrete clear roles working fluidly behind him. IE Modric - Sandro - In a overly simple evaluation, one creates and one destroys. If you have a dingdonghead like Paulihno doing neither of those things suddenly it all turns to **** anyway...

I can understand where you're coming from and I think it's not likely either of us will change our opinion on the player, if we signed him I would be distraught at first to be honest, just because I think he's ****, but I would support him obviously (eventually.....). I just think we need a higher quality of player, maybe he'll become that caliber, but I'm not sure. English + Plays for Man Utd = a **** load of unwarranted hype from a lot of a lot of people who have no idea about football. Love talking to the MOTD and maybe the game against Liverpool if they're off work kind of fans about Welbeck, who seem to think he's some kind of wonderkid prodigy when he's just quite average. If we need someone who defends from the front and works hard yet can't finish for **** I might send my CV in because I'm probably a lot more flexible wagewise then the kind of person Welbeck seems to be.

If he would accept a role at LWF then I wouldn't mind him coming in, but I'd guess, and I've read, that he wants to play as a striker, which in our system would be difficult. I think both Soldado and Ade are better options up front than him, Kane is an adequate third option and he is also happy to bide his time it seems.

He seems to have a lot of things going for him, but is way too incosistent for me to be very fussed about this rumour, I'd rather wait for Rodriguez if possible.

Back