• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

We are the worst for diving!

nelto

Andy Sinton
Fair to say that if it wasn't for Gareth we probably wouldn't be, but here are the stats:

Most bookings for simulation by club (since August 2008)

Tottenham - 13
Chelsea - 12
Manchester United - 12
Arsenal - 8
Liverpool - 8

Source: Opta

Premier League bookings for simulation (from August 2008)

Gareth Bale - 7
Fernando Torres - 3
Adnan Januzaj - 3
Liam Lawrence - 2
David Bentley - 2
Ashley Young - 2
Luis Suarez - 2
Daniel Sturridge - 2
Javier Hernandez - 2
Oscar - 2
Andy Carroll - 2
Emmanuel Eboue - 2

Source: Opta

Interesting to note that Januzaj is doing well (!) in the stats, given that he only has had about 13 games for Utd.

A couple of GB's bookings were extremely dodgy as well, eg the one against Sunderland when Larsson absolutely flattened him in the box.

Remedies (from Blatter :-& )

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/25586007

Sepp Blatter: Fifa president wants time penalty for diving in football

Fifa president Sepp Blatter has proposed the use of a time penalty as a deterrent to diving in football.

Blatter feels players who get treatment but are not badly injured should have to wait longer before rejoining play.

"I find it deeply irritating, when the half-dead player comes back to life as soon as they have left the pitch," said Blatter, 77, in his weekly column.

My view (who cares!)

I would advocate a red card for diving in the penalty area, possibly even the final third or free kick range. Deliberate cheating to win a penalty and a game is just as bad as denying a goal scoring opportunity by a defender. But I am slightly concerned about officials getting it wrong, as in the GB booking against Sunderland I referred to above. A video ref would be useful in controversial decisions re. dives that could influence the outcome of a match.

Thoughts?

1. Keep the current rules - Yellow
2. Red card for offenders
3. Sin bin for 10 minutes

I do like the idea of sin bins, because you can see in EVERY game that the ref is scared to give a red card or a second yellow card so they let people off one bad challenge... with a sin bin it would be way better as the ref can give 5 different 10 minute sin bins to the same player in one game if he keeps being a niggly tw.at and persistently fouling.

Lots of times a player gets a yellow and it makes no difference to the game, but a sin bin would benefit the other team much more.
Lots of times a player avoids a second yellow as the ref doesn't want to totally send them off for 60 minutes of the game, just for a fairly small challenge

To be fair, there were at least four bookings for Gareth Bale which were shockingly poor refereeing decisions which should have resulted in a free kick or penalty to Spurs, so we can remove several bookings from the list on account of that.

Is exaggeration different from simulation? Like Welbeck, where he felt a slight touch and decided to hurl himself at the ground.

Is exaggeration different from simulation? Like Welbeck, where he felt a slight touch and decided to hurl himself at the ground.

According to a post in another thread that quotes a ref, yes. You can't give a booking if there's contact, and it is indeed called exaggeration I think.

Personally I think it's unbelievably obvious just to give retrospective 3 game bans for dives, based on the unanimous decision of a panel. Because I think a) it's too much to ask referees to make the decision in real-time, and b) a yellow card isn't enough of a punishment or deterrence.

It's pathetic and actually disgusting that this hasn't been put into place given that diving has been happening for as long as I can ****ing remember and this would be such an easy solution.

I think the sin bin idea would work (and be a relatively easy thing to introduce at all levels) but I'd also be quite in favour of the red card option and, even more so, of retrospective action on simulation. If players knew that deceiving the ref was going to get them a three or four match ban after the review panel had looked at it, rather than just a few disapproving noises on Match of the Day, I think diving would disappear from the game overnight.

Simple answer - retroactive booking/ban/fine via video review

That way the ref is under less pressure and half of Bale's bookings wouldn't have happened.

I'd favour retrospective action with a 3 game ban for diving. It would stamp it out in a month.

Quite a few of those Bale yellow cards weren't dives though, so we shouldn't top that list!

I kinda agree with Ashley Young that its up to the referees to spot it. If you bring in retrospective action for this you should bring in retrospective action for being offside or pulling shirts as well imo.

Quite a few of those Bale yellow cards weren't dives though, so we shouldn't top that list!

Quite a few as in about half of them - he was the spacegoat, while Suarez, Young, and several Chelski players kept on simulating, diving and making a mockery of the game with only minor, minor punishments.

Bale's last yellow for this for us, when some random defender whose name escapes me climbed on top of him and pushed him to the ground, is the worst refereeing decision I have ever seen. Worse than Maradonas hand of GHod and the Mendes goal that never was.

Quite a few as in about half of them - he was the spacegoat, while Suarez, Young, and several Chelski players kept on simulating, diving and making a mockery of the game with only minor, minor punishments.

Bale's last yellow for this for us, when some random defender whose name escapes me climbed on top of him and pushed him to the ground, is the worst refereeing decision I have ever seen. Worse than Maradonas hand of GHod and the Mendes goal that never was.

I referred to this above - it was Seb Larsson, who was playing as a stop-gap right back in the last game of last season.

I kinda agree with Ashley Young that its up to the referees to spot it. If you bring in retrospective action for this you should bring in retrospective action for being offside or pulling shirts as well imo.

You can't bring in retroactive action to anything that affects the result (e.g. offside), it just opens too big a can of worms (and legal action).

Ala cricket, something against players who bring the game into disrepute? e.g. diving, fouling off the ball, spitting/elbows/etc. why not? Young would say **** like that because he is one of the biggest offenders.

Not only is a deliberate attempt to win a penalty by deceiving the referee a completely different issue from being offside (or tugging a shirt, for that matter) but what retrospective action could you possibly bring in for an unnoticed offside, and what would be the point of doing it, even if you could think of one?

Back