• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Walter Tull

The entire idea of military awards saddens me to an extent. Millions of men fought and died for the Empire, the Commonwealth and the United Kingdom. African troops, Indian and Sikh troops, dominion troops and British troops. They all showed extremely uncommon bravery. Risking and accepting death to defend your country or your home takes enormous courage. So why we denigrate these men in death by awarding some of them acclaim and recognition for what we deem to be 'uncommon' bravery while relegating the rest to humdrum 'regular' courage undeserving of an award is beyond me.

Either give them all awards, or give none of them awards. It really does not go half-way, as far as I'm concerned. Soldiers, firefighters, rescuers....all these people risk their lives in the course of their everyday professions. Respect and celebrate all of them (by which I mean pay them the recognition they deserve, not shunt them onto minimum pay and only recognize them when it is politically convenient to do so), not a select few.

As for Walter Tull, we can be proud of his ethnicity and his courage, but celebrating him as an example of the club's supposed multi-cultural roots is a bit much.

The entire idea of military awards saddens me to an extent. Millions of men fought and died for the Empire, the Commonwealth and the United Kingdom. African troops, Indian and Sikh troops, dominion troops and British troops. They all showed extremely uncommon bravery. Risking and accepting death to defend your country or your home takes enormous courage. So why we denigrate these men in death by awarding some of them acclaim and recognition for what we deem to be 'uncommon' bravery while relegating the rest to humdrum 'regular' courage undeserving of an award is beyond me.

Either give them all awards, or give none of them awards. It really does not go half-way, as far as I'm concerned. Soldiers, firefighters, rescuers....all these people risk their lives in the course of their everyday professions. Respect and celebrate all of them (by which I mean pay them the recognition they deserve, not shunt them onto minimum pay and only recognize them when it is politically convenient to do so), not a select few.

As for Walter Tull, we can be proud of his ethnicity and his courage, but celebrating him as an example of the club's supposed multi-cultural roots is a bit much.

I believe that all troops who see active service receive decoration.

I don't see anything wrong in recognising instances of exceptional bravery.

I believe that all troops who see active service receive decoration.

I don't see anything wrong in recognising instances of exceptional bravery.

Just an opinion. I am aware all troops receive recognition for the campaigns they serve in, yet you devalue that recognition by recognising only some of them for 'exceptional' bravery. I understand it is done to encourage initiative and bravery among the armed services, but it does not sit right by me.

Agree. He was clearly a top top guy with exceptional presence, charisma and leadership qualities. I am proud of him, and proud of the fact he played for Spurs, but we did flog him to Northampton!

i don't think we played him in the first place as some kind of stand against racism or whatever so to posthumously turn this guy (and ourselves) in to a false idol of anti racism in football would wreak of opportunism if you ask me.

You don't think one hundred years after the event is enough to avoid the charge of opportunism.

It would be more suitable if we chose a suitable anniversary. We've already missed the 100 years after he played with us (or did we do something? *) but maybe 100 years after his death would be a reasonable time to put a statue in the new stadium. He is certainly worth a feature in the club museum.

-------------------------------
*Edit: Seems we did mark the occasion. From the Fighting **** article: "In 2009 plans were unveiled to have a statue of in memory of walter Tull at the proposed new Tottenham Hotspur Ground."

Last edited:
^ opportunism in the sense that racism in football has become a hot topic the past couple of years.

of course it's good to know that our Club was one of the first to employ minority players and another thing to be proud of, but a statue of the player himself? i don't quite see the need for it or see that it is the correct course of action - statues should be to celebrate Club Legends, skin color or politics etc shouldn't come in to it. - If Kick it Out wanted to put a statue of the man up as a symbol of how far the game has come then that is something i could back, but it isn't really our place to be doing that.

Sign petition to name the entrance tunnel to the pitch at the new stadium after Walter Tull.

Walter Tull was a trailblazer, a breaker of barriers, the first black outfield player in professional English football and the first black officer in the British army. That's why the entrance tunnel at the new stadium should bear his name.

http://www.cartilagefreecaptain.com/2013/7/15/4525698/a-petition-in-honor-of-walter-tull

I agree with the sentiments (in fact, I have Tull as the first legendary player on my web site) but his impact while with Spurs was not that great.

I feel that there are other Spurs players far more worthy of the honour.

He only played 11 games for us. About half as many as Nicola Berti.

He's Northampton's icon, not ours (though football in general would do well to celebrate him).

Walter Tull.

What does he do?

It's JJ all over again.

Of course we would also have to honour his brother Jethro who not only invented the seed drill and had loads of hits with his rock band but he could also walk with one leg wrapped around a microphone stand.

Why does the tunnel need a special name? I think it should be called "the tunnel," unless we're going to have more than one.

It's JJ all over again.

Of course we would also have to honour his brother Jethro who not only invented the seed drill and had loads of hits with his rock band but he could also walk with one leg wrapped around a microphone stand.

=D>

It's JJ all over again.

...and cousin Rod, with his that stupid Emu puppet?

Back