• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Walter Tull

milo

Jack L. Jones
An interesting comment piece from Garth Crooks in today's Guardian

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/mar/25/tottenham-walter-tull-military-cross

Tottenham's first black player should be awarded the Military Cross

David Cameron can do justice to Britain's black first world war hero Walter Tull by posthumously awarding him a military honour

I had been at Tottenham Hotspur for a few seasons and experienced a good deal of success. But when, for the first time, I experienced a long-term injury, requiring weeks of treatment and tortuous rehab, I found myself wandering around the club, often in deep reflection, waiting for the pain of the next physio session. On one such afternoon I came across a photo of a Spurs team from 1910. It wasn't the date that caught my attention at first but the black lad who sat crossed-legged, posing in the traditional pre-season photo.

I was fascinated – and a bit put out too, because I thought I held the distinction of being Spurs' first black player – and wondered who the hell was Walter Tull? Captivated and irritated at the same time I decided to try and find out more. Surely this young whippersnapper couldn't have possibly played for the first team.

I asked around the club but no one had a clue what I was wittering on about. The club statistician told me he had never heard of a Walter Tull but would look in his records. Then, after weeks of research, he sent me some cuttings in the post.

I was mesmerised by what I began to read. This man was no ordinary footballer; he was special. Not only had he played for the Tottenham's first XI, he had scored goals. So why had no one heard of him? I desperately tried to visualise myself playing for Spurs at that time. Racism seemed to confront him in many games he played. The reports of it made my career look like a walk in the park. But somehow he never let it bother him.

The difficulty I had with the story was that I couldn't work out why, in 1910, Spurs let him go after only a handful of games. He was clearly one of their best players, so why did he end up at Northampton Town? Were the Tottenham directors more concerned about the image of the club than their rising star? The club couldn't lose; having got rid of what may well have been seen as a problem, they restored the club's image and got a pretty penny in the bargain. Good business on the face of it.

But within a couple of years of joining Northampton, then managed by the great Herbert Chapman, young Tull enrolled in the army to fight for his country in the first world war. What took place in the years to follow was nothing short of remarkable. Tull quickly rose to the rank of sergeant in the Middlesex regiment, fighting in the Battle of the Somme in 1916 and became the first black combat officer in the British army, despite a military rule excluding "negroes" from exercising actual command. Tull was stationed in Italy in 1917/18 and his military leadership received a citation for "gallantry and coolness", having led his company of 26 men on an incursion into enemy territory, returning them safely.

Tull returned to the horrors of war in northern France in 1918, and was killed in action on 25 March, 95 years ago today, near the village of Favreuil in the Pas-de-Calais region. His body was never recovered, and he is remembered at the Arras memorial for those who have no known grave, having fought in six major battles of the first world war.

In learning of his heroism in battle, I was left speechless. Why did I not know about this man? Why had his history and accomplishments been hidden? How I could have used those moments of glory as a child to stand proud among my classmates. For his acts of bravery, Tull was recommended for the Military Cross. Sadly, he never received it.

In the last few years a growing chorus of campaigners have demanded the government and the military hierarchy make amends. Those include Tull's biographer Phil Vasili, the playwright Kwame Kwei-Armah and the bestselling novelist Michael Morpurgo whose latest novel, A Medal for Leroy, is a tribute to Walter Tull. A petition has been launched calling for the Military Cross to be posthumously awarded.

Just days ago, the prime minister intervened to honour veterans of Bomber Command and the Arctic convoy, whose efforts and bravery some 70 years ago were finally recognised with military honours.

In life, I've always believed in the maxim that "those who know better, do better" and on that basis we must ask the military establishment and our prime minister to hand Walter Tull the Military Cross for which he was originally recommended. It's the least we can do.

I think he should definitely be more celebrated by the club.

But I disagree with awarding a politicised military cross. I don't see how it can be shown at this time that he demonstrated exceptional bravery and gallantry in comparison with his millions of commrades.

Correct me if I'm wrong but a commanding officer did recommend him for the military cross or a high honour for leading (which he wasn't actually permitted to do due to him being black) 20-30 men behind enemy lines and returning them all safely. This request does has some substance.

and I totally agree that he should be mentioned and celebrated by the club a lot more often.

This is a frequent subject of debate on the Great War Forum. A lot of these guys are as near to experts as you'll get on World War 1. Some of them are accredited Historians, Authors, Battle Tour Guides, etc.

This is an excerpt from a post from one them:

"I believe the only suggestion that he was recommended for an MC comes from a letter home from another which is inaccurate in a number of instances. There is, to my knowledge, no indication in official records or in any other reliable source that such a recommendation was ever made by Lawford or anyone else..

It is not the case that a recommendation generally resulted in an award - in many cases this did not happen.

This many years on from the events of the war and in the face of nothing more than unreliable and uncorroborated "hearsay" it is difficult to conclude that Tull was even recommended for an MC.

To re-open this case could open the floodgates of requests for declined recommendations to be revisited and awarded on the slightest of evidence.

All of this takes nothing away from what Tull, Bernand and many many other officers did during the war. People of many nationalities, origins and backgrounds served with many of the armies and other units of the Great War and they should all be remembered equally."

Ah I see, well I would love us to have some kind of memorial for the chap, naming a stand at the new stadium would be a nice touch perhaps?

Ah I see, well I would love us to have some kind of memorial for the chap, naming a stand at the new stadium would be a nice touch perhaps?

That would be too much. The only individual who should have a stand named after him is Billy Nick.

A statue of Tull would be a very good idea, though.

A statute is appropriate, but a stand would be excessive. From a football point of view we were only a minor part of his career.

The is an interesting account of him in the Football Encylopaedia. The following excerpt is on his military career:

... the First World War was declared. Tull immediately abandoned his career and offered his services to the British Army. Walter, like many professional players, joined the Football Battalion. At the time it was commanded by Major Frank Buckley. The Army soon recognised Tull's leadership qualities and he was quickly promoted to the rank of sergeant.

In July 1916, Tull took part in the major Somme offensive. Tull survived this experience but in December 1916 he developed trench fever and was sent home to England to recover. Tull had impressed his senior officers and recommended that he should be considered for further promotion. When he recovered from his illness, instead of being sent back to France, he went to the officer training school at Gailes in Scotland. Despite military regulations forbidding "any negro or person of colour" being an officer, Tull received his commission in May, 1917.

Walter Tull became the first Black combat officer in the British Army. As Phil Vasili has pointed out in his book, Colouring Over the White Line: "According to The Manual of Military Law, Black soldiers of any rank were not desirable. During the First World War, military chiefs of staff, with government approval, argued that White soldiers would not accept orders issued by men of colour and on no account should Black soldiers serve on the front line."

Lieutenant Walter Tull was sent to the Italian front. This was an historic occasion because Tull was the first ever black officer in the British Army. He led his men at the Battle of Piave and was mentioned in dispatches for his "gallantry and coolness" under fire.

Tull stayed in Italy until 1918 when he was transferred to France to take part in the attempt to break through the German lines on the Western Front. On 25th March, 1918, 2nd Lieutenant Tull was ordered to lead his men on an attack on the German trenches at Favreuil. Soon after entering No Mans Land Tull was hit by a German bullet. Tull was such a popular officer that several of his men made valiant efforts under heavy fire from German machine-guns to bring him back to the British trenches. These efforts were in vain as Tull had died soon after being hit. One of the soldiers who tried to rescue him later told his commanding officer that Tull was "killed instantaneously with a bullet through his head." Tull's body was never found.

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/FWWtull.htm

This is a frequent subject of debate on the Great War Forum. A lot of these guys are as near to experts as you'll get on World War 1. Some of them are accredited Historians, Authors, Battle Tour Guides, etc.

This is an excerpt from a post from one them:

"I believe the only suggestion that he was recommended for an MC comes from a letter home from another which is inaccurate in a number of instances. There is, to my knowledge, no indication in official records or in any other reliable source that such a recommendation was ever made by Lawford or anyone else..

It is not the case that a recommendation generally resulted in an award - in many cases this did not happen.

This many years on from the events of the war and in the face of nothing more than unreliable and uncorroborated "hearsay" it is difficult to conclude that Tull was even recommended for an MC.

To re-open this case could open the floodgates of requests for declined recommendations to be revisited and awarded on the slightest of evidence.

All of this takes nothing away from what Tull, Bernand and many many other officers did during the war. People of many nationalities, origins and backgrounds served with many of the armies and other units of the Great War and they should all be remembered equally."

Thanks for this - never heard of that forum but will check it out. Have interest in the First World War and think I may learn something there!

Exactly GB silly idea. Why has this old news been recycled?

It was the 95 anniversary of his death yesterday.

Do you not think that being the first club in the top division to field a black outfield player is something that the club should be proud of and celebrate?

Do you not think that being the first club in the top division to field a black outfield player is something that the club should be proud of and celebrate?

Yes.

But in proportion.

To some extent (more than we do). But Northampton were really his club, so it's their place to first and foremost.

i don't think we played him in the first place as some kind of stand against racism or whatever so to posthumously turn this guy (and ourselves) in to a false idol of anti racism in football would wreak of opportunism if you ask me.

Be proud of yes. Celebrate? Why?

Back