• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Waiting for Godot...

DubaiSpur

Ian Walker
20190601_174224.jpg

So, I watched as the final whistle went. The pub behind me erupted in roars of delight, beer showered down, and the celebrations began.

And I left, stage right. This was their night; their celebrations were earned. And they hadn't been c*nts about it, so I had no reason to begrudge them their joy. I said a perfunctory goodbye to my colleagues who had come down with me, nodded at the few similarly silent Spurs fans filtering out, and began walking.

To nowhere in particular. I just wanted to walk. Eventually, after a few hours wandering across Ottawa, I ended up here - on a bench, by a trail, overlooking a placid lake on a cool early summer's evening.

And here I stayed, to contemplate a good many things. The birds chittered - somewhere a distance away, a dog barked. Very occasionally, the ripples of the water were softly parted by a pair of geese, regally sailing down the waters as the clouds above parted and the golden rays of a setting sun glittered beside them.

For the most part, all was still. And it was the perfect place to think - about everything leading up to that moment. Both at our club, and for me.

For the majority of my Spurs-supporting existence, I've been alone in my loyalties - I've gotten used to what that entailed. Being the kid with the counterfeit jersey kicking a ball down the sandy streets of my home in Dubai, a lone figure in white amidst a sea of blues and reds. Being the last on TV, if we were shown at all. Being the only one in pubs across the world, from India to Canada, who requested that the channel be switched over to a game no one cared about. Getting quizzical looks from colleagues when I explained to them what a Hotspur was.

It's not the worst thing in the world - there are a lot of clubs even less known than we were, and are. And there is a certain sense of self-importance that comes with that - your club is your club, literally in certain places. You defend it to the end against all comers.

But there is also a sense of loneliness in that, and a yearning for us to prove the mockery wrong - to be the team that, for once, lets you shout in joy and happiness against 99 others in a pub built to seat 50, to turn the jeers and mockery right back at them and run down the street in delight, to do crazy things in the knowledge that our tide has turned - for one night, the sense of inevitability that came with us failing would be banished.

It's been with me for decades, and it has intensified every time we failed in painful, and occasionally horrific ways. It's the essence of what it means to be a Spurs fan - a yearning to be normal for once, to get our turn, like the other clubs do. It's not fair that we're always football's lovable losers, the butt of the joke and the background to the great football stories that happen elsewhere. Our turn would come - it had to come.

It's been a game of waiting, for years on end, for us to beat our nature. Waiting for something that never comes. Waiting, in other words, for Godot.

The modern game has never been built to our benefit - to clubs run like we are, always cautious, always with zero net spend top of mind, football offers nothing. There is no benefit to being run this way, because there is no risk to being run a different way - football has transcended the days when a badly-run club would fold, and go under. There's always another buyer, ready to pump in money - it is a seller's market, in most respects.

Yet, that is the way we are run, and will continue to be. The focus is on staying at a zero net spend, recouping our outgoings, being sensible. So, to achieve what other clubs do, we have to do *more* than they do - we have to excel, every day, every week, every month and every year. We can't slip up, or be human - we have to be exceptional. Nothing else will push us over the edge. And that is a very, very rare thing. So rare as to be almost impossible, and in the transient world of football, where teams disappear, players leave to richer, more ambitious clubs, and managers fail as time and the zeitgeist render them obsolete..it is effectively waiting for a once-in-a-lifetime moment.

We have tried, many times over the years. Many times, we have hovered on the edge of being exceptional. Many times, we have failed at the death, as something very human ultimately showed a crack in our armour, in our pretend invincibility.

And, many times, we have marauded to the end, facing our fears, only to be foiled by them at the death - a single weakness revealing us to be what we are. Not a powerful knight ensconced in shining armour, but a kid, weak and shivering, in bolted-together plates holding a wooden sword, facing down a giant, golden-plated foe on a bespoke warhorse.

There are things to love in that image. Maybe the most lovable thing is that, shoddily-clad as we are, shivering as we are...we were still brave enough to try. Brave enough to walk up to the ring, knowing that our time was never coming...but doing it anyway.

True bravery lies not in never being afraid, but in going forward despite being afraid. And Spurs have been very, very brave over the years - we have gone out, and dared our implacable opponents to do their worst, knowing that our human failings would bring us down, but not caring anyway.

On Saturday, we did the same. We went out, and dared to stand up to our foe. And our human failings doomed us - it could not be more perfectly encapsulated than by Moussa Sissoko, our hero in some of the darker days of a long, gruelling campaign, the phoenix rising from the ashes to prove all his hateful critics wrong in splendid ways. Our Moussa, our very human hero...giving away a penalty, in 25 seconds. It was a death blow - we tried, we battled, we gamely attempted to penetrate a back line where one center-back cost more than the entirety of our defense. And we failed, at the death - how could we not?

There is a lot to love there, in that image. Of us being brave. And in Poch, we have a manager who is so very brave - so very human, so very emotional and brilliant, and so very fearless.

He never cared about our limitations, and our self-destruction. He never cared that the world was against us. He pushed, and pushed, and pushed, and fought alone to change what we were. And he came so very, very close.

But, in the end, he failed at the death, as we always do. And football continues on its remorseless way - his feats will be forgotten by the wider footballing world, as the 'nearly men' tag descends yet again.

So where do we go from here?

In the end, as I realized, it's not really about where we go.

In Waiting For Godot, the whimsical, yet circular nature of the world is revealed to its participants, who end up accepting it anyway. They are creatures of habit, in a world built on an endless cycle of happenstance. And there is some underlying comfort in being certain of what awaits, even if it is the same as it has always been.

We are in a time of change, for the club. That much is clear, even as the pain of this defeat lingers in the silent tears, the crumpled up shirt, the discarded, hand-painted signs. The empty bus sitting in some garage, decked out in celebratory colors.

We are changing. The new stadium is here, the new training ground is here. The money we have earned, and the exposure we have gained, will not soon disappear - we are changing, just by being what we are.

And yet, can anyone confidently say that we will change who we are? Will Mauricio Pochettino, our most brilliant, most human manager in a very long time, stay to guide us along? Will Daniel Levy shed his fear and cautiousness, and spend in a way that he has not done in 20 long years at the helm of the club? Will Spurs change who they are, even as Eriksen leaves, as Toby leaves, and as the long cycle of yet another rebuild begins again?

I don't know. We don't know.

And yet, that isn't really the point. In the end, the cycle continues - we play to the crowd, and we are what we are, come what may.

But it isn't about where we go. It's about what we become - all of us. @thfcsteff , with his relentless, eternal positivity, even on the darkest of days. @Nigeyman , with his well-earned doubts and fears, but also being a true supporter and a laugh in bad times. @nayenezgani , with his strange fascination with tarring-and-feathering his fellow supporters, but also with a continual positivity for the team and the club. @90291Spur , with his frequently hilarious gnomic responses and quips to setbacks and snipes. :D @braineclipse, @milo and @BrainOfLevy , with their relentlessly cool analyses of all things Spurs. With @scaramanga , and his played-up snobbiness towards Sissoko and co., which I'm convinced is an act to hide the heart of gold somewhere in there. :p With @Bedfordspurs , and @paxtonwolf, and @Glenda's Legs , and @billyiddo , and all of us, the hundreds and thousands of us all over the world; with our own lives, our memories, our tears and our joys, our setbacks and triumphs, and with this one thread binding us all together.

And me, as well.

As the sun set on that bench, by that lake, and as I got up to leave, I didn't have any answers to the searching questions of how we had lost that final, why we were what we were, why I couldn't stifle the wrenching pain and numbness of another lost day; another false dawn.

But I believe the journey is shaping us, as surely as it shapes the club that breaks our heart with regularity, and gives us joy in happier times. These moments shape us, and bleed into our lives outside this shared club we call Spurs.

We grow, by associating with the club we love, in this game we're hopelessly drawn to.

As I pondered what came next, and as the gravel crunched beneath my feet, I was happy that, in the end, I had grown for knowing this journey. And for all the time I've spent here, arguing and celebrating with all of you on the wildest days of my lifetime.

Thank you for allowing me to share this journey with you, folks.

Whatever comes next.

Come on You Spurs.

I appreciate the sentiment but I take umbrage at your description of our club as "a kid, weak and shivering, in bolted-together plates holding a wooden sword."

In the context of your post I see it very differently. I see us as a towering knight clad in glorious, shining white armour.

Only we're pitted against what were once similar knights, who now find themselves twisted and warped into something more sinister. More steroid fueled, Frankenstein's monsters than glorious warriors.

We need to be diligent to maintain our status and not wish too hard for full transformation into the abominations that we currently battle and often defeat.

I also take offense at your claim that I 'relentlessly' tar and feather my fellow supporters.. More like custard bathe and lightly spank fans who carry on like utter spoilt tossers.

But I won't bother to debate that all over again right now.

I don't know. We don't know.

And yet, that isn't really the point. In the end, the cycle continues - we play to the crowd, and we are what we are, come what may.

But it isn't about where we go. It's about what we become - all of us. @thfcsteff , with his relentless, eternal positivity, even on the darkest of days. @Nigeyman , with his well-earned doubts and fears, but also being a true supporter and a laugh in bad times. @nayenezgani , with his strange fascination with tarring-and-feathering his fellow supporters, but also with a continual positivity for the team and the club. @90291Spur , with his frequently hilarious gnomic responses and quips to setbacks and snipes. :D @braineclipse, @milo and @BrainOfLevy , with their relentlessly cool analyses of all things Spurs. With @scaramanga , and his played-up snobbiness towards Sissoko and co., which I'm convinced is an act to hide the heart of gold somewhere in there. :p With @Bedfordspurs , and @paxtonwolf, and @Glenda's Legs , and @billyiddo , and all of us, the hundreds and thousands of us all over the world; with our own lives, our memories, our tears and our joys, our setbacks and triumphs, and with this one thread binding us all together.

And me, as well.

As the sun set on that bench, by that lake, and as I got up to leave, I didn't have any answers to the searching questions of how we had lost that final, why we were what we were, why I couldn't stifle the wrenching pain and numbness of another lost day; another false dawn.

But I believe the journey is shaping us, as surely as it shapes the club that breaks our heart with regularity, and gives us joy in happier times. These moments shape us, and bleed into our lives outside this shared club we call Spurs.

We grow, by associating with the club we love, in this game we're hopelessly drawn to.

As I pondered what came next, and as the gravel crunched beneath my feet, I was happy that, in the end, I had grown for knowing this journey. And for all the time I've spent here, arguing and celebrating with all of you on the wildest days of my lifetime.

Thank you for allowing me to share this journey with you, folks.

Whatever comes next.

Come on You Spurs.
Thank you for allowing us to join you by the lake with your thoughts. None of know what the future holds for this fantastic assemblage of human beings, all working towards Glory. But we do know that we all care deeply (in our different ways) for the score AND the performances we watch from wherever we can - whether it is driving hundreds of miles and spending thousands of pounds to cheer on from the stands, waking at ungodly hours to watch on a glowing screen in the dark, or munching of BBQ prawns with a Tusker lager (@Kenyan Spur).

This season has been exhausting and bizarre, and I fervently hope that Poch gets a rest, and then gets da playas he needs so that we can go one better than the team that beat us in Madrid and win the league AND the CL next season.

COYS!!!

bdbd0f004d03ab35920de3a758923ea8e3cab0ea303c79972627f6bd7aa49b0c.jpg

Back