• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VPN

To stop GCHC snooping at his toss bank presumably, the same as the other 99.8% who use the dark net (the 0.2% being nonces and arms dealers)

I'm using Switch VPN and like it. It works. I use it for downloading stuff from torrent sites anonymously and for accessing content restricted to areas. Works well. :)

It kind of depends on what you are looking for. Some are good for streaming from american hosted sites, some are better for general browsing etc. I have tested several over an extended period of time, and in terms of speed and reliability, CyberGhost has easily been the best. Slightly more expensive than some others, but they provide excellent speed (average over 220 Mb/s both upload and download for me). They have lots of servers in different countries, which is a big +

To stop GCHC snooping at his toss bank presumably, the same as the other 99.8% who use the dark net (the 0.2% being nonces and arms dealers)
One of my pals is on it and the things he shows me what you can obtain are incredible, things delivered by uber and all sorts

I think torrents are ok if you are just downloading and seeding. It's uploading that they are concerned with

Yeah, I have always tended to think that. Though got an email the other day that was just like one of these:

https://torrentfreak.com/uk-piracy-alerts-the-first-look-inside-the-warning-system-170210/

I'm not too fussed by the email itself, but it's not great to know my usage is being spied on. Then again, I don't want to have to shell out loads to use a VPN that might not work so well for downloading and str£aming and I'm not sure about free VPNs, there must be a catch.

From what I've read, it's advisable to use the TOR browser to find torrents and then a VPN when downloading the torrent. Though probably end up on some narco-terrorist-paedo watchlist when 'they' see you use TOR.

I think torrents are ok if you are just downloading and seeding. It's uploading that they are concerned with
The whole idea of the torrent protocol is that you upload while you are downloading. (unless you are a fu..ing leecher).
@the dza give CyberGhost a try. I think they have trial memberships. Excellent up- and download speeds. Very close to matching the speed you have from your ISP.

It's better being sat directly on the router imo and if your using a vpn then you should change your dns away from your isp's defaults otherwise you will still be asking them to resolve requests. And chrome, despite many nice features, does love leaking dns and the way it handles webrtc can reveal an ip even when behind a vpn.

The whole idea of the torrent protocol is that you upload while you are downloading. (unless you are a fu..ing leecher).
@the dza give CyberGhost a try. I think they have trial memberships. Excellent up- and download speeds. Very close to matching the speed you have from your ISP.

I may check them out, cheers.

It's better being sat directly on the router imo and if your using a vpn then you should change your dns away from your isp's defaults otherwise you will still be asking them to resolve requests. And chrome, despite many nice features, does love leaking dns and the way it handles webrtc can reveal an ip even when behind a vpn.

This post made me feel like a dunce. Can you translate this for an idiot? (me!)

complete techno phobe here, is this the thing people are using to watch football online for free?

How are you guys watching football this season? we have the internet with BT and the wife did something nice for me(not custard based) she upgraded our deal so we have BT sport this year, but we are doing away with Sky as we do not use it enough.

I trade betfair in play so I try to watch as many games as I can, how are you guys getting your football fix this season, i am particularly interested in German football as Laying 0-0 was great their last season. I watch trade all major european leagues and would like to get better free online access to it, any suggestions?

complete techno phobe here, is this the thing people are using to watch football online for free?

How are you guys watching football this season? we have the internet with BT and the wife did something nice for me(not custard based) she upgraded our deal so we have BT sport this year, but we are doing away with Sky as we do not use it enough.

I trade betfair in play so I try to watch as many games as I can, how are you guys getting your football fix this season, i am particularly interested in German football as Laying 0-0 was great their last season. I watch trade all major european leagues and would like to get better free online access to it, any suggestions?

I'll be s.t.r.e.a.m.i.n.g games on a.c.e.s.t.r.e.a.m, but the delay would be too big for you to be useful for in-play betting I think (s.t.r.e.a.m.s are prob a couple of minutes behind).

Also, I think what Gutterboy meant was the groups who upload the original torrents en masse, like ettv on the pirate bay, or yify who used to do all the films.

I may check them out, cheers.

This post made me feel like a dunce. Can you translate this for an idiot? (me!)

Think of dns as a postcode system for computers, when you browse to a site then you enter the name - this name is resolved by the isp to the postcode (ip address) as it is easier for us to remember website names than their ip address. Using 46.32.232.136 for example would bring you to here, but far simpler to type in glory-glory.co.uk
So as you use the net providers dns service, they see where your traffic goes, so by switching to a public dns services makes it harder for the isp to see unless they really want to by using inspection methods - after all we still have to use their internal networks to browse anyway.
(Depends on how worried about traffic people are and/or browsing data being sold on)

Aside from masking traffic the public dns services can be quicker (sometimes) and also thesedays offer extras for security as well e.g. parental filtering etc and often for free.

Running a vpn direct on a router means you dont have to have software installed on every device (also personally i think it gives more flexibility), so any device used to browse the net is encrypted by the vpn regardless - again, for the paranoid, router based covering all attached devices means that no traffic can be spied on. Sometimes if the dns is not changed away from the defaults then it can be "leaked" despite being encrypted by a vpn which isnt good as you lose the anonymity. If mine wasnt changed then if I checked then I would see a dns server for my isp here in Czech Republic as well as the dns for the vpn to UK - so I can be tracked back and some of the UK sites wouldnt lift their geo-blocks so I could not view live tv.

My setup has the wife devices running normally through the isp, my mobile and main pc run through a vpn to UK and if I alter the main machines ip then I can run it to America for their live tv during football season )

Back