• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Vlad Chiriches

That was a couple of seasons prior, in 1992/93 back when we also shipped 6 goals at Anfield and 5 at Elland Road...

Thankfully we had a Golden Boot winner firing in the goals up front and did the league double over the Goons, so it weren't all bad!

Mercy. That was the worst one of all. I was utterly horror struck by that one.

What's with all this congratulating Levy for selling players at a loss? Cappo, Paul and now Vlad, have lost us some serious dosh, at least £10m plus.:(.

:eek:And, as if this thread hasn't been a scary enough read as it is, you lot now give us page 60!:(

Anyway good luck to Vlad in Napoli , I think he's gonna need it. They're not a very forgiving lot out there when it comes to error prone defenders.

What's with all this congratulating Levy for selling players at a loss? Cappo, Paul and now Vlad, have lost us some serious dosh, at least £10m plus.:(.

:eek:And, as if this thread hasn't been a scary enough read as it is, you lot now give us page 60!:(

Anyway good luck to Vlad in Napoli , I think he's gonna need it. They're not a very forgiving lot out there when it comes to error prone defenders.

It's what happens unfortunately when you sign pony/average players. Very difficult to get a decent return on any of them.

It's because previously he would have held on to them refusing to make a loss. Like with Bentley, Gomes so many more who just hung round and stunk the place out.

A loss, but a small loss going by what's been reported.

Selling flops at a small loss is good business I think.

It's because previously he would have held on to them refusing to make a loss. Like with Bentley, Gomes so many more who just hung round and stunk the place out.

Not much of a difference now compared with before. Though the claim about him refusing to make a loss has been made all along I don't think it's ever made sense. He's looking for the best deals and seemingly a very good negotiator. While we ended up with players like Bentley and Gomes on our books for a long time we also got excellent value for players like Bent, Crouch and Palacios. Levy's patience in the transfer market doesn't always pay off with every player, but no strategy works all of the time. Overall he's doing well I think.

I think that's a tad naive. Every club signs bummers. We are no exception. To be able to get rid of them with minimum collateral damage is indeed a cause for celebration.
A loss, but a small loss going by what's been reported.
Selling flops at a small loss is good business I think.

Of course he has to minimise our losses and maximise profits on player sales. I hear you'll. I've been there myself, where sometimes selling at a loss is the right thing to do, part and parcel of the business and all that. However , I never felt I should be congratulated for it when selling at a loss on repeated sales just as our club has done recently.

A low point even for the mid-table doldrums of Sir Alan' chairmanship :( Thankfully I'd completed sixth form by then so the abuse wasn't quite so bad as it could've been!

A drunk Vlad would've fitted right in amongst this shambles!

Ah yes, the classic backing off defensive style to open up the space.

And Ian walker who always seemed to dive an inch short of the ball.

Are they pony or just not the right players for the club , maybe the league ?

All were highly rated before they came to us .

Capoue was wanted by Cardiff before we signed him, read into that what you will.

Chiriches - I knew almost nothing of him before he was signed, but how anyone could possibly rate him at all is puzzling to me.

Paulinho - He was billed as the "tropical Frank Lampard", but we all know that a lot of Brazilians are vastly overrated, even in a time when they've arguably never been worse as a nation.

Kaboul - Was he rated that highly?

Of course he has to minimise our losses and maximise profits on player sales. I hear you'll. I've been there myself, where sometimes selling at a loss is the right thing to do, part and parcel of the business and all that. However , I never felt I should be congratulated for it when selling at a loss on repeated sales just as our club has done recently.

Well, repeated flops are a part of the footballing business going by just about every club in the world. Making the best of that situation is a good thing, as you yourself say. The inevitability of that situation to me means that congratulations for dealing with the situation is in order.

Secondly, it's not (only) Levy's decision to sign these players. In this case it seemed quite likely that he trusted Baldini (and/or AVB, scouts etc) to make the signing. That is part of what Levy has to do. You can always turn that on Levy by saying that it was his decision to bring in Baldini, but again I come back to what seems to be the rather inevitable nature of flops in football. We usually don't credit Levy for identifying he massively successful players we sign, credit usually goes to the head coach/manager/scout/DoF. I think placing the blame on Levy for unsuccessful singings seems rather harsh in that light.

Overall some credit, and in deed criticism is aimed at Levy for his overall transfer strategy at times, but that's a fairly different issue from extracting towards the upper end of the perceived market value for a player.

All in all, I think it's fine to give Levy some credit on this.

Capoue was wanted by Cardiff before we signed him, read into that what you will.

Chiriches - I knew almost nothing of him before he was signed, but how anyone could possibly rate him at all is puzzling to me.

Paulinho - He was billed as the "tropical Frank Lampard", but we all know that a lot of Brazilians are vastly overrated, even in a time when they've arguably never been worse as a nation.

Kaboul - Was he rated that highly?

Arsenal were also interested in Capoue and Chelsea were interested in Paulinho but I know that doesn't fit the narrative.

Ar5ena1 were also interested in Capoue and Chel53a were interested in Paulinho but I know that doesn't fit the narrative.

Really? I genuinely wasn't aware. I'd put the Paulinho interest down to him being Brazilian. And Capoue is French after all, Wenger loves a player from Ligue 1.

But they didn't sign them suggesting they didn't think either was good enough

It's easy to paint decisions like this as black and white but I doubt they often are. Every club signs a duff player every now and then, just the same as every other workplace recruits people who aren't up to it occasionally.

We do not have the financial muscle to get first dibs on the top talent, so we have to take a punt on what is left. Sometimes that works out like with Eriksen and Modric who for various reasons the top clubs passed up on. Sometimes it doesn't work out like with Vlad, Paulinho and Capoue.

It seems silly to me to keep harking on about the ones that don't cut it.

Back