• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Virtual Reality

7percent

Pascal Chimbonda
I could add this to the videogames thread, but I think Virtual Reality has more potential than solely games. It does look incredible though and while I'm not much of a gamer I think I could find myself investing in the kit.

I think the games I'm most excited by are Alien: Isolation (not played it yet) and System Shock 3. They should both come to playstation VR so it would save me the expense of having to buy an Occulus-ready PC and kit.

I'm also intrigued in how it would effect watching films and TV. I saw a demo on the telly where you can watch football on a 'big screen', look down to see stats etc and you had the ability of choosing another camera angle where you could watch from in 360. I'm not sure how much I'd enjoy that to be honest, I like watching football with my mates and drinking beer.

Also the potential of 360 films. There's been talk of how difficult it would be to film 360 feature films, but why bother? we all sit down to watch films, we're only realistically going to turn our heads left and right..

Anyway, it's an exciting time and I'm curious as to what we'll see in 2-3 years time once the technology's matured a bit more.

You have a few of them which you need a control pad to move, that to me is just like having a tv on your face and nothing more.

The one i watched a review on youtube i can't think of the name but it comes with 2 sensors that you stick either side of the room and detects your movement and walls / objects around you. That looks alright but not worth the money, it will fade out like the kinect censor on xbox.

I have one of these;

https://www.google.com/get/cardboard/

It's quite amusing for a while, but quality is pretty bad, of course. I don't know, virtual reality has been predicted to break through every year since 1985 or something, and it hasn't yet. I'd love to try an Oculus Rift one day though.

Watched a 20 second clip that would belong in the Vice Den on one of these headsets.

They'll take off.

Problem with VR is that some people (around 15-20%) get motion sickness with it and nobody knows how to solve it.

You can reduce it by having fixed points in the field of vision, such as the frame of a roosterpit or a steering wheel, but that still doesn't solve it.

Until they get past motion sickness, it won't take off fully.

Problem with VR is that some people (around 15-20%) get motion sickness with it and nobody knows how to solve it.

You can reduce it by having fixed points in the field of vision, such as the frame of a roosterpit or a steering wheel, but that still doesn't solve it.

Until they get past motion sickness, it won't take off fully.

Good point.

I was on the Ratatouille ride at Disney Land and for the first time got a sense of motion sickness when it went into VR mode on a track in the scene (we had 3D glasses on). Didn't actually get it on a real ride so I'm guessing it's the brains way of telling me something isn't quite right?

I think a genuine 100% virtual reality experience is decades, if not maybe a couple of centuries, away from ever coming to fruition but if one is ever created i.e. one that can actually replicate physical sensation and real world experiences, I'd imagine there would be a hell of a load of mental health issues which would come to surface as a result.

Some complain that video games are already too realistic and influence children in bad aways and that's with what is essentially (although recently it has become much more realistic) cartoon images of fictional characters. Wonder what parents will say when little Timmy's Gran Theft Auto is played out in a world which looks and feels as real as the one we're in now!

Reviewers trying the po.rn virtual reality said it was incredibly lifelike, when the actress leaned in close for a kiss it was strange to NOT feel her breath/sense her presence as it was so realistic that you fully expected her to touch you, that is damn impressive and will certainly sell well.

Jamiroquai
VikgBfJ.jpg
has been singing about it for years.

VikgBfJ.jpg

It sounds to me like the adult VR experiences were produced with differing qualities of cameras and kit.

I believe for example that a full on occulus experience would be far better than a google cardboard experience.

The quality of the cameras is important too, there are some consumer 360 camera out at the moment that don't stitch the image as well as would be liked, and anything close may get cut off or ghosted a bit.

I do think this technology has brilliant potential, watching reaction videos on youtube for example you can see how immersed people are, in a way that just didn't happen with 3d tv.

So, the Oculus Go has been released and after having a go with a friend's Playstation VR I'm really tempted. I think I'll still wait a bit longer and see what competitors come up with though...

It's still the thought of watching films that really appeals. In a cinema I'm really good because you've got to be a bit of a dingdong to pull your phone out and start replying to whatsapp. At home though I can't watch anything without having a second screen open. Would love a more immersive experience.

The biggest problem with VR for me currently is the cables.

I have a PS4 and I'd really like PSVR. Problem is, my PS4 is under my stairs along with my amp, etc. They send the video to either my TV or projector via easily-run CAT6 under the floor. My controller hooks up wirelessly and if I need headphones I can just plug them into the controller.

For VR, I need about 5 cables trailing all over the place that, as far as I can see, can't be easily run in the way CAT6 can. Wireless headsets are apparently some way off last time I checked.

The biggest problem with VR for me currently is the cables.

I have a PS4 and I'd really like PSVR. Problem is, my PS4 is under my stairs along with my amp, etc. They send the video to either my TV or projector via easily-run CAT6 under the floor. My controller hooks up wirelessly and if I need headphones I can just plug them into the controller.

For VR, I need about 5 cables trailing all over the place that, as far as I can see, can't be easily run in the way CAT6 can. Wireless headsets are apparently some way off last time I checked.
Move the PS4 nearer the TV then? ;-)

(Or buy a 2nd one)

Back