• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Vincent Janssen

I doubt we would play them as two out and out strikers. Kane would drop back into a number 10 type role with Janssen as the number 9.

I'll happily have a wager with you that we'll see Kane and Janssen on the pitch at the same time on several occasions this coming season.

Bingo, i really to believe that Kane will be a even better player behind the front player.

It would be absolutely nothing like your analogy.... While Kane is a fantastic number 9, he is also a very good number 10, I would say that Lloris isn't even amongst the best 25 players in the Spurs squad who could play left back, whereas Kane is probably in the best 3 or 4 at playing number 10. Kane moving to number 10 is nothing new for us, I noticed that it happened a few times for us last season with Son/NJie playing further forward than him when we were chasing a game.

Also if you watch Kane, he has a preference to pull out to the left and come back inside on his stronger right foot..... From the videos I have seen of Janssen it appears that he likes to do the same but instead seems to instead naturally pull out to the right. If chasing a game we could use that to exploit Alli making his runs through the centre with Eriksen and Lamela, our attacking right and left midfield players playing their usual game coming inside.

That mobility and running channels is just part of the modern #9 though.

If the plan was to use Kane as a #10, we'd've surely bought a Defoe type forward, rather than a Kane-clone (big alrounder, back-to-goal, not that quick) like Janssen?

If the plan was to use Kane as a #10, we'd've surely bought a Defoe type forward, rather than a Kane-clone (big alrounder, back-to-goal, not that quick) like Janssen?
Early days obviously but I thought Jansen looked more the poacher type than and all-rounder Kane is. Lots of runs to the near post and playing right on the offside line. Maybe he is not as similar to Kane as was thought. In saying that it is just one match.

No, it wouldn't have made sense to purchase a forward with completely different attributes to Kane as then we do not have 'cover' for Kane and either the team has to completely change the way that they play if Kane is injured/suspended/rested/dropped or we are simply less effective as a team as we do not have a player up top who fits our game plan. Interestingly enough though I think that Janssen does have some Defoe like attributes in the way that he looks to attack the near/far post as opposed to pulling back like Kane does. That is why i think they could also suit a 9/10 partnership on occasions.

While mobility and running the channels is indeed part of being a modern number 9, the fact that Kane naturally peels left and Janssen peels right could give us a really good balance when chasing the game with Alli taking advantage of the opposition's centre halves being split as he surges through the middle, of course we would be sacrificing one of our deeper midfielders in this instance to allow us to attack this way.

Early days obviously but I thought Jansen looked more the poacher type than and all-rounder Kane is. Lots of runs to the near post and playing wrong of the offside line. Maybe he is not as similar to Kane as was thought. In saying that it is just one match.

FTFY no charge

It would be absolutely nothing like your analogy.... While Kane is a fantastic number 9, he is also a very good number 10, I would say that Lloris isn't even amongst the best 25 players in the Spurs squad who could play left back, whereas Kane is probably in the best 3 or 4 at playing number 10. Kane moving to number 10 is nothing new for us, I noticed that it happened a few times for us last season with Son/NJie playing further forward than him when we were chasing a game.

Also if you watch Kane, he has a preference to pull out to the left and come back inside on his stronger right foot..... From the videos I have seen of Janssen it appears that he likes to do the same but instead seems to instead naturally pull out to the right. If chasing a game we could use that to exploit Alli making his runs through the centre with Eriksen and Lamela, our attacking right and left midfield players playing their usual game coming inside.

I agree but personally I would drop Eriksen to CM and have Alli cutting in from the left, Lamela from the right, with Kane as LS and Janssen as RS. Alli isn't ready for that CM role yet, and it wastes his goalscoring instinct.

I agree but personally I would drop Eriksen to CM and have Alli cutting in from the left, Lamela from the right, with Kane as LS and Janssen as RS. Alli isn't ready for that CM role yet, and it wastes his goalscoring instinct.
I wasn't suggesting dropping Alli into a CM role.... He would continue to play in the same attacking role, but there should be even more space for him to exploit through the centre with Kane and Janssen splitting out wide and likely dragging a centre half at least some of the way out with them. Either Dembele or (probably preferably) Dier would be sacrificed for us to play this way I don't think it is an option we would use to start a game with, but if losing/drawing late on and chasing a goal it is a tactic that we could use, especially if the opposition aren't looking to get their fullbacks forward.

Why move aside your most prolific striker in decades just when he's approaching his peak? Almost by definition he'll score fewer. Might just work if Janssen hits the ground running, but that is one very big if.

Unless and until Janssen forces his way into the side as our no 1 striker I want to see Kane continue doing what he does best, with Janssen used as his understudy. Not as though we're short of candidates for the no.10 slot - Alli, Eriksen, Lamela, Son et al.

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

I doubt we would play them as two out and out strikers. Kane would drop back into a number 10 type role with Janssen as the number 9.

I'll happily have a wager with you that we'll see Kane and Janssen on the pitch at the same time on several occasions this coming season.

Greaves and Smith Crookes and Archibald. ....
One striker is not enough ..Its about putting the ball in the net..err to win games!

Two strikers generally hasn't been effective since the 90s. It's in the history book along with wingers, poachers and crossing.
No it will come back in fashion once a team wins something with 2 strikers up top even if one of the two drops deep.

Wasn't until Redknapps last season with Adebayor here that we stopped playing 2 up top - think it was pretty common up until around the same time in the early 2010s

As usual it's not black and white and I'm sure there will be a time that 2 up front becomes popular again

Wasn't until Redknapps last season with Adebayor here that we stopped playing 2 up top - think it was pretty common up until around the same time in the early 2010s

As usual it's not black and white and I'm sure there will be a time that 2 up front becomes popular again

Redknapp was still playing it about 10 years after everyone else, but it was bringing in Rafa that forced him to abandoned it. Pav/Crouch-Defoe/Keane was possibly the last time we played it?

Even Jol was considered outdated at the time using Berbatov and Keane 4 or so years before.

Redknapp was still playing it about 10 years after everyone else, but it was bringing in Rafa that forced him to abandoned it. Pav/Crouch-Defoe/Keane was possibly the last time we played it?

Even Jol was considered outdated at the time using Berbatov and Keane 4 or so years before.

Berbatov and Keane was a front two but im not sure it was considered outdated - football isn't a fashion parade, if it's effective and works well for you then use it

Last edited:
He's a handful for defenders. Keen to turn and run into space, and put himself about. His touch wasn't always perfect, but he gave a good account of himself today.

Two strikers generally hasn't been effective since the 90s. It's in the history book along with wingers, poachers and crossing.
Its not in vogue right now but that doesn't mean it is in the history books. In football you tend to get one or two trailblazers and then everybody else follows. Conte
seemed to play 2 up front for Italy, I think he also did the same when he was at Juventus, I wonder whether he will do the same at Chelsea?

You shouldn't get too worked up about the formation that pops up on the screen before the game. In reality formations tend to be very fluid. For instance over the past couple of seasons when Chadli played he was playing more as a second centre forward than as an attacking wide midfield player. We were listed pre-game as playing a 4-2-3-1, but for all intents and purposes we had 2 up front..... Doe that mean that Pochettino's methods are outdated? Or is it just that Pochettino realises there are different ways of taking advantage of space that opens up on a football pitch?

I can remember when Jol was writing for one of the broadsheets during the World Cup that took place in Germany and he wrote that 'defensive and attacking blocks' were far more important than a notional formation. He said that in any team there are x players who's primary job is to defend and y players who's primary job is to attack. At that World cup he wrote that teams were generally either playing an 8-3 or 7-4 defense-attack blocks, except England who he felt were playing a 10-1 block (hence no creativity) and Brazil who were effectively playing 6-5. Jol's point was that the players actual positions in the defensive or attacking blocks were reasonably inconsequential in the grand scheme of things and it was more about a player's primary role in the team.

Back