• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Victor Wanyama

I would disagree with that, they started the first 5 games as a pair in C/M and we won 3 and drew the other two conceding only two goals. It was a promising start and if they had played more together it would have got better.

Other than the Stoke game we also struggled for goals and chances. 4-0 win away to Stoke is impressive, though Stoke were atrocious at the start of the season. Single goal wins at home to Palace and Sunderland (who were also atrocious at the start of the season) are not particularly impressive. Getting outplayed by Liverpool was far from impressive. Everton game was absolutely fine.

Pochettino didn't go back to it after Dier became available again (I think we changed it because he was out for a game or two) before Alderweireld's injury. If it was so promising I don't quite understand that decision.

Other than the Stoke game we also struggled for goals and chances. 4-0 win away to Stoke is impressive, though Stoke were atrocious at the start of the season. Single goal wins at home to Palace and Sunderland (who were also atrocious at the start of the season) are not particularly impressive. Getting outplayed by Liverpool was far from impressive. Everton game was absolutely fine.

Pochettino didn't go back to it after Dier became available again (I think we changed it because he was out for a game or two) before Alderweireld's injury. If it was so promising I don't quite understand that decision.

Your right, as far as i remember Dier picked up a injury and by the time he was fit again Toby was out so he had to go in at CB. We did not get outplayed in any of the first five games ( we struggled a bit against the Pool but deserved the draw) and as a team we have not looked impressive all season ( apart from one or two games) so nothing new there.

Still Stop! Hammer time and i still believe Dier and Wanyama had the makings of a good partnership.

I am really intrigued with @Gutter Boy andhis anti Wanyama agenda in favour of Dier. @Gutter Boy in particular really does my head in because before we signed him he was slagging him off telling me how he is not good enough for Spurs and he has failed to giver Wanyama any credit since he joined despite the fact that he has been head and shoulders our best midfielder this season and one of best outfield players altogether.

Whenever he can in different threads he cannot resist the urge to dig the knife into Wanyama. When we were 1 win in 10 @Gutter Boy would have you believe that we are a lesser team because Wanyama is starting in midfield and all everything would be right with the world as soon as Dier is restored in midfield in his place.

Yes lets blame it all on Wanyama. No mention of course that unlike last season we lost Toby for a month or so, we lost Kane for 7 weeks, Dembele did not miss the first 4 league matches of the season and that both Alli and Eriksen have been very inconsistent with both players only recently beginning to show the qualities we know both players have, as well of course no Lamela another long term absentee, but lets blame it all on Wanyama.

But the ironic thing is that despite all those absences @Gutter Boy has given no love to Wanyama considering his amazing consistency is one of the reasons we actually have more points noe than we did this time last season. But of course he would not say that because it would not serve his anti Wanyama agenda.

For the record I love Dier, and he earns his place back in midfield then it will be on merit and I have no problem

I am really intrigued with @Gutter Boy andhis anti Wanyama agenda in favour of Dier. @Gutter Boy in particular really does my head in because before we signed him he was slagging him off telling me how he is not good enough for Spurs and he has failed to giver Wanyama any credit since he joined despite the fact that he has been head and shoulders our best midfielder this season and one of best outfield players altogether.

Whenever he can in different threads he cannot resist the urge to dig the knife into Wanyama. When we were 1 win in 10 @Gutter Boy would have you believe that we are a lesser team because Wanyama is starting in midfield and all everything would be right with the world as soon as Dier is restored in midfield in his place.

Yes lets blame it all on Wanyama. No mention of course that unlike last season we lost Toby for a month or so, we lost Kane for 7 weeks, Dembele did not miss the first 4 league matches of the season and that both Alli and Eriksen have been very inconsistent with both players only recently beginning to show the qualities we know both players have, as well of course no Lamela another long term absentee, but lets blame it all on Wanyama.

But the ironic thing is that despite all those absences @Gutter Boy has given no love to Wanyama considering his amazing consistency is one of the reasons we actually have more points noe than we did this time last season. But of course he would not say that because it would not serve his anti Wanyama agenda.

For the record I love Dier, and he earns his place back in midfield then it will be on merit and I have no problem

While Wanyama in isolation has played well, I do think he limits us going forward and we might look better as a team with a slightly different player there.

While Wanyama in isolation has played well, I do think he limits us going forward and we might look better as a team with a slightly different player there.

I 100 percent disagree. Instead of Wanyama has not been limiting us at all, instead I would suggest:

Kane being out for 7 weeks limits us

Dembele our most missing the start of the season limited us together with his various injuries

Dele's game affected by the inconsistency of youth

Eriksen who until recently (and the game against Boro aside has been poor this season

Our attacking creative force has been hampered by the above yet people are willing to blame our excelling defensive midfielder.

I find it ironic that Wanyama limits us going forward yet we have more points than we did this time last season, go figure.

We scored 8 goals in the past week, was that due to Wanyama limiting or not limiting our attacking force or was it due to the return of Kane and Dele and Eriksen finding their mojo. Maybe we should blame Wanyama for only scoring 5 goals against Swansea. Probably if we had Dier we would have scored 10

Thank christ. Such a ballache that competition. And they play it every 2 years to make it more inconvenient.

Well if you have a problem do not buy African players, simple.

We play every 2 years because FIFA in its infinite wisdom treated Africa as a joke and did nothing to promote African football historically. As recently as 1978 the continent of Africa only had 1 representative in the world cup. Playing the ANC every 2 years was the best way to keep international football alive in Africa.

Last edited:
Is it really so controversial to think that Dier on form is superior to Wanyama overall?

Wanyama has made a very good and (very importantly) instant impact. He's been an excellent value for money purchase and at 25 he still has some potential to get even better. With Dier's loss of form at the start of the season and Alderweireld's injury Wanyama has been an important signing for us.

But I still think Dier last season was better and I think we're better overall with an in form Dier.

Well if you have a problem do not buy African players, simple.

We play every 2 years because FIFA in its infinite wisdom treated Africa a joke and did nothing to promote African football historically. As recently as 1978 the continent of Africa only had 1 representative in the world cup. Playing the ANC every 2 years was the best way to keep international football alive in Africa.

The continent and federation havevery right to play their tournament whenever they want

For European football it's a pain but that's how it is and it's not like people don't know

Biggest issue form what I've seen is the pitch standards are poor and that can cause injuries but the only what to develop is to play

Back