• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Veltman

I (my club) have been on the receiving end of a football lesson at under 13 from their academy kids. And it was a lesson in every sense of the word. I walked away knowing more about football than before the encounter.

There was a kid in the goal that day that impressed me no end. When I say kid he was already 6 foot and built like a tank with a booming voice you could hear all over the park. For the entire match he was barking orders out to his team and to a man (boy) they did what he asked. I must look him up. The outfield patterns and movement were a joy to behold.
More Ajax players please.

There was one session i was at on free kicks where they had kids as young as 10-14 taking kicks from the edge of the box, the coach was shouting at them to put it in the right top, the left top, in the middle, the bottom right, the bottom left etc as the kids were running up to take the kick.

I was gobsmacked because most of the kicks ended up just where he was telling them to put it, he then went through the same routine but using their other foot with the same result. It was amazing and as i said these were kids.

There was one session i was at on free kicks where they had kids as young as 10-14 taking kicks from the edge of the box, the coach was shouting at them to put it in the right top, the left top, in the middle, the bottom right, the bottom left etc as the kids were running up to take the kick.

I was gobsmacked because most of the kicks ended up just where he was telling them to put it, he then went through the same routine but using their other foot with the same result. It was amazing and as i said these were kids.

Bet they couldn't put it in row Z though or run around like an headless chicken for 90 minutes.

Last edited:
We desperately need more depth at CB, particularly as Dier is a better DM than CB, so if this guy really is half-decent and available for £8m then it sounds like a good deal.

I think we 5 decent CBs if we want to be a top team and if we're playing 3 at the back. We have TA, JV and ED but if Wimmer is off, then I feel we need two more. I dont count CCV given that he hasnt been great when he has played and he's too young to be 5th choice for a team playing 3 at the back

Ajax fans on r/soccer are mostly amazed that we're interested in him - they say he's a liability and not particularly good at either RB or CB. Someone compared him to Toby and Verts when they were at Ajax and was bluntly told that he just doesn't compare - not even remotely - to how good they were.

I'm not sure this one is a goer.

Ajax fans on r/soccer are mostly amazed that we're interested in him - they say he's a liability and not particularly good at either RB or CB. Someone compared him to Toby and Verts when they were at Ajax and was bluntly told that he just doesn't compare - not even remotely - to how good they were.

I'm not sure this one is a goer.

Alderweireld is a far far better defender now than when he was at Ajax. I saw him in a few games for Ajax where he was dominated by average forwards, one particular game sticks out against Steaua Bucharest in a European game. No wsy did i think back then he would go on to be the beast at the back he is now. He didn't even sufficiently impress Simeone at A Madrid and we all know the emphasis Sineone puts on the defensive art of the game.

Poch has worked wonders with Aldeweireld, just as he has with Walker and Rose. Trippier is improving, Davies is growing, Verts imo is the same he was at Ajax and the same he has been at Spurs since he signed apart from a dodgy period under AVB towards the end and then under Sherwood where he was below his best

I trust Poch to improve most defenders he brings to the club.

Alderweireld is a far far better defender now than when he was at Ajax. I saw him in a few games for Ajax where he was dominated by average forwards, one particular game sticks out against Steaua Bucharest in a European game. No wsy did i think back then he would go on to be the beast at the back he is now. He didn't even sufficiently impress Simeone at A Madrid and we all know the emphasis Sineone puts on the defensive art of the game.

Poch has worked wonders with Aldeweireld, just as he has with Walker and Rose. Trippier is improving, Davies is growing, Verts imo is the same he was at Ajax and the same he has been at Spurs since he signed apart from a dodgy period under AVB towards the end and then under Sherwood where he was below his best

I trust Poch to improve most defenders he brings to the club.

Fair enough, but the thing is, Ajax fans on r/soccer (who presumably also watched Alderweireld) still think Veltman isn't anywhere near as good as he was - so if Toby was mediocre when you watched him, I can't imagine how Veltman would be.

Anyway, as for Alderweireld improving under Poch, he was already perhaps the best centre-back in the Prem before he came to us - his season at Saints was definitely brilliant in that respect. No doubt he's gotten even better after coming here, working under Poch and linking up with Jan, but he was still pretty good from the get-go - Veltman, by contrast, doesn't have that season in the Prem (or even outside the Eredivisie, really) to judge him on.

Edit: I found the thread with the Ajax fans commenting on his suitability for us, in case you want to have a look -

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/com...otspur_are_taking_a_keen_interest_in/dhptnrt/

Last edited:
Watched him during the match vs. Man Utd. I dont rate him. Apart from the 17 yr old CB, I didnt rate any of Ajax's players.

That was a really poor performance from Ajax though

They bottled it basically

Don't like the word bottled. It gives the impression both sides were evenly matched. They weren't. I expected them to lose but also expected more from Klaasen and Veltman.

Back