• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Variable speed cameras on the M1

Boonie

Gus Poyet
I think I got flashed the other day from one of the gantry cameras between Jct 10 and 11, there was not a variable speed limit in operation and it was 4:50am so the road was clear. I didn't realise I was going so fast to be honest so its my fault. Anyway my understanding was that if there is no variable speed limit in force then the cameras didn't work. I was doing about 90 by the way.

Any ideas?

I think I got flashed the other day from one of the gantry cameras between Jct 10 and 11, there was not a variable speed limit in operation and it was 4:50am so the road was clear. I didn't realise I was going so fast to be honest so its my fault. Anyway my understanding was that if there is no variable speed limit in force then the cameras didn't work. I was doing about 90 by the way.

Any ideas?

My understanding was that variable speed cameras only work when there a restriction in force but I've never seen this written down.

For what it's worth in the future Waze is a free download and can be fully updated by users so giving local alerts of genuine and dummy speed cameras.

Im not sure Boon ie - but what I do know is 90mph is viewed as very high. I think 97mph in 70 is an automatic 12 point penalty - could be mistaken.

I think speed restrictions especially on motorways really do need to be revised. Cars have become safer etc and I think the restrictions need to move with the times. No doubt people will think otherwise, which is fair enough but at 4am when there are barely any cars then 70mph is actually relatively slow.

I thought, like yourself and Gord, that they were only on when it was showing a speed limit. No proof of that though.

Bit unlucky if you have been done, see people rocking through restricted gantries like that, way above the displayed limit, all the time.

97 does not equal 12 points and a fine. I was done on the M25 in similar circumstances at 05.30am doing 94 three months ago. I was given 3 points and a £350 fine. I did have a clean licence though. Automatic ban comes in at 30mph over the speed limit, so 100mph+

97 does not equal 12 points and a fine. I was done on the M25 in similar circumstances at 05.30am doing 94 three months ago. I was given 3 points and a £350 fine. I did have a clean licence though. Automatic ban comes in at 30mph over the speed limit, so 100mph+

Youre correct, just googled it as I didnt trust you haha. It used to be 97 im sure.

The clean licence may have helped but also the time will im sure also help. Doing 94mph at 5.30am is very different from 5.30pm

Yes, there was nothing on the road at the time and road conditions were excellent... The reason I said 12 points was wrong was because that's an automatic disqualification..

Don't suppose your car is a 2012 Astra with around 7k on the clock and with full warranty is it Boonie ;)

I didn't think the gantry cameras were actual speed cameras?
Blue? Then no, think they were or maybe still are for Trafficmaster stuff with the white ones being normal monitors.

After some digging, as I am due back in a couple of weeks that way..

It would seem the cameras can and do enforce the NSL when the signs are off, however the threshold might be higher than the NSL but there is no exact info on that.

Having said that, I would be surprised to see 90 being accepted - would more imagine 80 being the limit.

14 days for the NIP and if nothing then breathe :)

Last edited:
I didn't think the gantry cameras were actual speed cameras?

These are the one's Boonie's on about and yes, they are speed cameras, not for monitoring traffic conditions which you may be getting mixed up with.

dsc3876.jpg

On a different note. Why do they put speed-cameras as the bottom of inclined roads (on 30mph)? Not sure if any of you know The Bourne of Southgate (near Grovelands Park). Is it their attempt to make you pick up speed just before the camera? :D

On a different note. Why do they put speed-cameras as the bottom of inclined roads (on 30mph)? Not sure if any of you know The Bourne of Southgate (near Grovelands Park). Is it their attempt to make you pick up speed just before the camera? :D

I know it, never been nicked there yet, touch wood. Same as some dual carriageways where they're reducing from two lanes to one, they always put one there to catch the blokes roaring up the outside and cutting in.

Back