• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

Craig Pawson needs looking at. His reaction to our winner was just bizarre.

He’s also awarded City the most penalty’s this season and was on VAR when Saudi Sportswashing Machine had a blatant penalty against them ruled out.
Another woeful ref

you still need someone with the arm strength though, and it’s similar to a corner, which nobody ever scores from anyway
If you can run and lift your back leg or you don't need your hands on the side of the ball then that's not a lot of arm strength.

It's not about scoring from it, nobody does. It's about having to watch it.

That pen Pawson gave (its on the twitter thread above) for Everton against Liverpool was shocking. As was his disappointment when Lacazette didn't score against Pool. Glad that Pool fans are wise to his obvious preferences.

It keeps amazing me that the referee pool is so tiny. It seems the same 5-6 refereres are always involved, especially in the big games.

There's so much money involved in the game, I see no reason why there shouldn’t be enough cash to finance a bigger and more competitive pool of refs to pick from.

Perhaps it would even be beneficial to mix up the refs from the major leagues during the games. So you'd have linesmen from Germany and Italy, fourth official from France and main ref from Spain. There's probably good arguments against it, but I think it would reduce speculation about bent refs when there's more variation (although I guess football is global in many aspects :rolleyes:).

It keeps amazing me that the referee pool is so tiny. It seems the same 5-6 refereres are always involved, especially in the big games.

There's so much money involved in the game, I see no reason why there shouldn’t be enough cash to finance a bigger and more competitive pool of refs to pick from.

Perhaps it would even be beneficial to mix up the refs from the major leagues during the games. So you'd have linesmen from Germany and Italy, fourth official from France and main ref from Spain. There's probably good arguments against it, but I think it would reduce speculation about bent refs when there's more variation (although I guess football is global in many aspects :rolleyes:).
The pool of refs to choose from is very small, and it's no wonder it is! Just look at the abuse refs get in here, from the stands and all over SO-ME. And it's like that at every level of football. Parents and coaches abuse and harass young refs, kids that are 14-15 years old! No wonder pretty much everyone quit. No one likes getting constantly abused and yelled at.
Football need a radical shake up when it comes to treating refs with respect. As it is, even the toughest and mentally strong young refs seldom find it worth it to continue a career in refereeing.

The pool of refs to choose from is very small, and it's no wonder it is! Just look at the abuse refs get in here, from the stands and all over SO-ME. And it's like that at every level of football. Parents and coaches abuse and harass young refs, kids that are 14-15 years old! No wonder pretty much everyone quit. No one likes getting constantly abused and yelled at.
Football need a radical shake up when it comes to treating refs with respect. As it is, even the toughest and mentally strong young refs seldom find it worth it to continue a career in refereeing.
Excellent post.

My eldest has been reffing for a couple of years. He's 17 now. It is easy money, which is the only reason he does it, but the abuse from the sidelines is disgusting. It shook him up at first but now he's learned to ignore it more or less (I haven't and am not allowed to attend his matches). I know in a strange way he is getting a good life lesson and he certainly has a strong enough character to handle it. Otherwise, I would have called a halt to it long ago.

He's a brick ref though. ;)

Another very controversial decision in the cup final. Can't understand what the thinking was to award offside there. Very strange.

How is Humble Mo not booked for exactly the same foul on Kovacic that Kovacic got booked for on him two minutes before?

C'mon the added time.

And the added stresses and strains to muscles and ligaments and tendons and joints and hamstrings and metatarsals and ribs and groin muscles and bonked noggins.

Not that it'll do us any good this season. Just staying in practice.

Back