• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

VAR: Sponsored by Chelsea

I will paste this here again, from Glenda's Legs, as some seem to have missed it

On-Field Review (for interpretation)
Goals
  • foul committed by attacking player
  • offside interference
Penalty Decisions
  • foul leading up to penalty
  • foul by attacking player
All direct red card incidents

VAR Advice Only (for factual incidents)
Goals
  • offside position leading up to goal
  • ball out of play leading up to goal
Penalty Decisions
  • foul committed inside or outside the penalty area
  • ball out of play leading up to penalty
  • offside position leading up to penalty
All cases of mistaken identity

https://football-technology.fifa.com/en/innovations/VAR-at-the-World-Cup

The referee would have been told by the VAR officials that he should review the incidents when Kane was rugby tackled to the ground, but he chose not to.

It was the referee who decided it was fair and he didn't want to review it. It was the referee making the crass mistake, not VAR itself.

I will paste this here again, from Glenda's Legs, as some seem to have missed it

On-Field Review (for interpretation)
Goals

• foul committed by attacking player
  • offside interference
Penalty Decisions
  • foul leading up to penalty
  • foul by attacking player
All direct red card incidents

VAR Advice Only (for factual incidents)
Goals

• offside position leading up to goal
    • ball out of play leading up to goal
Penalty Decisions

• foul committed inside or outside the penalty area
    • ball out of play leading up to penalty
    • offside position leading up to penalty
All cases of mistaken identity

https://football-technology.fifa.com/en/innovations/VAR-at-the-World-Cup

The referee would have been told by the VAR officials that he should review the incidents when Kane was rugby tackled to the ground, but he chose not to.

It was the referee who decided it was fair and he didn't want to review it. It was the referee making the crass mistake, not VAR itself.

Most likely, but it’s not impossible that the refs running var tonight were just incompetent too.

It’s still a human making decisions.

Presumably they decided the ref hadn't made a clear and obvious mistake. I don't particularly agree with them but there you go.
Kane should have had one penalty. The second one, where the defender ended up on top of Kane, another angle showed that it was actually Kane who held on to the arm of the defender, and dragged him into the ground. No pen in that situation. But the first one looked pretty solid.

Fair point, however we are led to believe that VAR was going to clear up all the debatable actions and make every thing clear. My point is that it NEVER will be able to do that and this is a prime example.
VAR isn't going to help with interpretation of the rules. This is not a VAR issue.

But were the rules to be interpreted the same by everyone, then VAR would make sure nothing is missed.

The ref was very odd, allowed a hell of a lot for Tunisia but was much more strict with us.

And did nothing to assert himself, so all their gamesmanship was left to run.

Which is nothing to do with VAR and everything to do with the human component on the field.
He was chatting away to the Tunis players throughout the game.
Dele was absolutely clattered early on and Kane was polaxed from a barge in the back. (Nothing to do with Spurs goggle wearing)
Both were yellows. This ref didn’t even react. He was dreadful, no other word for it.
I hate digging out refereeing but the contrast from the other excellent refereeing performances was stark.

For a referee with his reputation (8 reds in his last 11 games I believe) he was extremely passive last night, most likely trying to be inconspicuous and wanting more games later in the tournament than actually refereeing the game and issuing cards (to both teams other than just Walker)

I reckon the ref wouldn't have given the Walker penalty if there wasn't VAR. I doubt he saw anything in real time, but knew it would be overturned if there was absolutely nothing. He shirked his own instincts and then, like everything viewed in slow-mo, it was given.

The ref was very odd, allowed a hell of a lot for Tunisia but was much more strict with us.

And did nothing to assert himself, so all their gamesmanship was left to run.

Which is nothing to do with VAR and everything to do with the human component on the field.
I know people are quick to point to Russia and being corrupt and all that, but I honestly think that refs in charge of our games have been told to turn a blind eye to decisions for us. Last night was proof that decisions went against us. Every other decision regarding penalty incidents in the other WC games were looked at over and over again. We were lucky to win 2-1 last night as there was nothing wrong with our goal, but had it been slightly onside or a slight foul then it would have gone to VAR and we would have had a decision go against us.

There is no way Russia, with everything that has gone on politically over the last 6 months, would allow England to get anywhere near winning the World Cup on their own turf.

I know people are quick to point to Russia and being corrupt and all that, but I honestly think that refs in charge of our games have been told to turn a blind eye to decisions for us. Last night was proof that decisions went against us. Every other decision regarding penalty incidents in the other WC games were looked at over and over again. We were lucky to win 2-1 last night as there was nothing wrong with our goal, but had it been slightly onside or a slight foul then it would have gone to VAR and we would have had a decision go against us.

There is no way Russia, with everything that has gone on politically over the last 6 months, would allow England to get anywhere near winning the World Cup on their own turf.
Surely they would have just shot down our plane on the way out there?

I reckon the ref wouldn't have given the Walker penalty if there wasn't VAR. I doubt he saw anything in real time, but knew it would be overturned if there was absolutely nothing. He shirked his own instincts and then, like everything viewed in slow-mo, it was given.

I was a pen. Walker was as dumb as a post (as he is want to do). A bit soft? Maybe. But most certainly a pen. I have no issue with the decision.

The decision on the WWE Smackdown on Kane, however, looks a hell of a lot worse in light of this.

Im more inclined to think its just a bricky performance than any great conspiracy. Lets see what happens against Panama to see if things improve.

I was a pen. Walker was as dumb as a post (as he is want to do). A bit soft? Maybe. But most certainly a pen. I have no issue with the decision.

I don't think it was. Walker held his position and the other guy ran into him. It's a contact sport and Walker was shielding the ball. In real time, which is what should matter, there was nothing in it

The decision on the WWE Smackdown on Kane, however, looks a hell of a lot worse in light of this.

Im more inclined to think its just a bricky performance than any great conspiracy. Lets see what happens against Panama to see if things improve.
Yes let’s see what happens on Sunday. We should be more comfortable but if it’s a similar performance from the ref then there’s more evidence Abramovich is still tinkled off about his Visa.

Now VAR is an option, if you flag straight away, blow up and get it wrong, then you stop the attack or chance in its tracks. I can see why they let the moment run to its conclusion then decide if it was offside after.

I get that, but they seem to be doing it all the time, rather than just on the marginals, when its obvious put the flag up. Players check for a flag, if they see it down they are going to think they got away with it and carry on, sooner or later a player is going to be injured because two of them go in hot on what they think is a live ball.

I don't think it was. Walker held his position and the other guy ran into him. It's a contact sport and Walker was shielding the ball. In real time, which is what should matter, there was nothing in it

Walker was caught in the wrong position and decided to raise his arm to face level to obstruct a player. Anywhere on the field thats a foul.

And "real time" is how so many decisions get missed. Im glad it was given, because it should have been given. Thats the point of VAR.

Yes let’s see what happens on Sunday. We should be more comfortable but if it’s a similar performance from the ref then there’s more evidence Abramovich is still tinkled off about his Visa.

LOL Ill look out for it. If we see him in the crowd cackling and rubbing his hands like a bond villain Ill be convinced :D

Refs have been told not to try and call it unless they are 100% - if it's a pen etc., VAR will tell them and they can call it back. I've seen it in other matches, it's not about England!

Back