• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

UK Media (Leveson enquiry) - thoughts?

Diamond Lights

Didier Zokora
Posted about this in a previous thread but thought it was bringing to the fore front today...

Some background for context:

On 20 July 2011, the then Prime Minister, David Cameron announced the final Terms of Reference for the The Leveson Inquiry into the culture, practices and ethics of the press.

The Terms of Reference divided the Inquiry into two parts and it was felt that the best way to proceed was to have one inquiry with two separate parts.

The first part of the inquiry looked at the culture, practices and ethics of the press. The second part is meant to investigate the relationship between journalists (in particular those employed by News International) and the police, and corporate governance failures at news organisations.

On 1st March 2018, the Culture Secretary, Matt Hanrooster, told the House of Commons that the Government would be cancelling the second phase of the Leveson Inquiry.

I think our media is horrendous personally. Not just for the explicit fabriciations that are made quite often splashed across front pages, but the awful level of tiny retractions hidden on Page 23 somewhere when that front page was a blatnant lie or found to be false. Does not get anywhere near the same level of publication.

On top of that, countless hacks etc into peoples private lives etc.

So where do people stand, do we need Leveson 2? Today's front page of The Sun is what set the tone of this post by the way... to me, this is just, well, the worst. Still am sure we'll have some defenders on here...

EaQ5QqkXkAASwYS

I didn't follow the Leveson enquiry that much but based on your description of it shouldn't that headline have been covered under phase 1 (culture, pratices and ethics)?

Part 2 should have gone ahead and widened to include the relationship between press and government as well.

I didn't follow the Leveson enquiry that much but based on your description of it shouldn't that headline have been covered under phase 1 (culture, pratices and ethics)?

Part 2 should have gone ahead and widened to include the relationship between press and government as well.

I mean, that in itself is the problem no? The fact that even after Leveson is complete, a front page effectively saying "no regrets for domestic abuse" can be done without repercussions...

I mean, that in itself is the problem no? The fact that even after Leveson is complete, a front page effectively saying "no regrets for domestic abuse" can be done without repercussions...
I suppose their get-out will be use of 'Sun confronts' and labelling his words 'sick taunts'. Might that be enough for them to argue they are not advocating but revealing?

I suppose their get-out will be use of 'Sun confronts' and labelling his words 'sick taunts'. Might that be enough for them to argue they are not advocating but revealing?

agree, but based on the number of people who feel this front page is deplorable, it's here where you need some form of authority or standards which is what Leveson was intended to provide before it was binned off and effectively ignored.

For example, The Media Standards Trust found IPSO still fails 25 out of Leveson’s 38 recommendations for a “genuinely independent and effective system of self-regulation”.

I don't know enough about the Leveson enquiry to know the outcome, if this type of story is banned then people will be complaining no? Of course once it's published damage is done anyway and people have seen it, I doubt they'll read the rebuttal on page 57, column 3, type size 6 in gothic sanscript.

agree, but based on the number of people who feel this front page is deplorable, it's here where you need some form of authority or standards which is what Leveson was intended to provide before it was binned off and effectively ignored.

For example, The Media Standards Trust found IPSO still fails 25 out of Leveson’s 38 recommendations for a “genuinely independent and effective system of self-regulation”.

Yes. I've just seen the Sun's response to this and it's as expected. They were...shining a light on the abuser's lack of remorse.

Made all the worse by the present Rowling furore which will mean that there's a load of folk out there who will happily shout that she deserved it.
Ghastly stuff right now.

Was that this week's twitter row then?

If people are going to read that website and get upset by it i think that is their problem.

I literally dont care what anyone on Twitter thinks about anything. The people on here at least you all have one thing going for you. You support the best football team in the world.

I haven't seen the story because I don't read the sun or have any interesting in jkr, but could it not be construed as a positive story?
She left an abusive destructive relationship with a heavy drug user to become a best selling author.

If people are going to read that website and get upset by it i think that is their problem.

I literally dont care what anyone on Twitter thinks about anything. The people on here at least you all have one thing going for you. You support the best football team in the world.

Tend to agree with this, anyone who takes/believes what anyone says on T w a TT er/ gutter press have to ask themselves WHY.

I don't know enough about the Leveson enquiry to know the outcome, if this type of story is banned then people will be complaining no? Of course once it's published damage is done anyway and people have seen it, I doubt they'll read the rebuttal on page 57, column 3, type size 6 in gothic sanscript.

Like anything in life it’s down to people to use news in a responsible way. I look at many stories and use my own judgement on how seriously I take them and also if they are of any relevance. I find the majority of front page stories are either irrelevant to public interest of sensationalist clap trap.

I haven't seen the story because I don't read the sun or have any interesting in jkr, but could it not be construed as a positive story?
She left an abusive destructive relationship with a heavy drug user to become a best selling author.

I think the point is that the initial headline statement is basically "I whacked my wife and don't regret it". I fail to see anything that links to a postive story on JKR becoming a sucessful author.

It's effectively celebratory of domestic abuse.

I think the point is that the initial headline statement is basically "I whacked my wife and don't regret it". I fail to see anything that links to a postive story on JKR becoming a sucessful author.

Not sure it’s celebratory but it is certainly being used to sell the paper

Not sure it’s celebratory, the rational man can say the guys a scumbag

Somethings been going on a while about JK Rowling's words on trans-sexuals which aren't viewed as current or inclusive enough. And a lot of very angry people aren't shy about telling her this in very abusive terms

As I say I've not read it. No interest in anything the sun has to say or jkr, nothing against her either mind you.
All I know about her is that she wrote some books, made a ton of money and was in a pretty tight financial situation beforehand.
So if anything I'd be even more sympathetic towards her now.
I was just making a general point it's a positive outcome to a bad storyline.
For once.

Back