• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

UEFA Nations League

I have read the "what is it " 4 times, still completely confused on what is going on.

It would appear to be the intertoto cup of international football.

Instead of meaningless friendlies, its meaningless friendlies dressed up as a competition, the prize for which is entry into the Euros.

Though I dont think it replaces Euro qualifiers? Or does it?

I think I have it now - it is as well as qualifiers (if you don't qualify normally and win your group you can this way) -

I don't give a toss about friendlies this may make me a little more interested, does it mean we have less open dates for Brazil / Nigeria etc?

I always liked the idea of a sort of 6 nations style tournament for football for odd year summers. Something like:

Northern Europe - England, France, Germany, Holland
Southern Europe - Spain, Italy, Portugal, Croatia

1 match against each other (alternating between playing 1/2 at home/away). The two group winners in a play-off. 3 or 4 matches each over a 2 week period

This Nations' League format sounds a bit toss though

It would appear to be the intertoto cup of international football.

Instead of meaningless friendlies, its meaningless friendlies dressed up as a competition, the prize for which is entry into the Euros.

Though I dont think it replaces Euro qualifiers? Or does it?

No, the European qualifiers go ahead as normal, but there are a few placed reserved for this competition. It provides a way for brick sides small nations to qualify.

However, it could also provide a life line for one of the top division sides if they mess up qualifying.

I think the officials at UEFA misunderstood the problem of meaningless friendlies. It's not the friendly part that is a problem (some of our recent friendlies have been more entertaining than the qualifying games), it's the meaningless part that people don't like.

Last edited:
So England will host Switzerland and USA USA in Autumn to “compliment” their nations league fixtures!

What a waste of time this all is, thought the nations league was brought in to get rid of all these pathetic friendlies that no one wants, not in addition to them!

fudge. Big nose with a cracking goal to be fair.
Left the greatest defender in the universe for dead. How'd that happen?

He is one of those players who always puts in a shift for the team, great in the air as well.

He always feigns injuries too often for my liking! Would like to see him grow some and stop winging like a typical French footballer! Oh wait!

Back