• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Trying to get a dog

Bedfordspurs

Martin Peters
We’re not a family to follow trends but we’re now seriously looking at getting a dog
Logic says to me that as we have a big house, both me and the missus work from home a lot and we have plenty of outdoor space we would be perfect to take in and love a rescue dog...
apparently not though as we also have children.
I do understand some of the logic behind it, especially with dogs that have been mis treated but a lot of rescues we have seen have come from Spain or Romania as just unwanted dogs
It all feel plain daft to me. The kids now want a dog as we have discussed it’s with them but we’re kids having to placate there wants because there 7 and 4
Weirdly if we was a bunch of horrible bastards but presented ourselves ok people would gladly sell us the rescue dog :mad::mad::mad:
Strange world we live in

Yeah the dog charities do wrong here. Especially as some are kill shelters that put healthy dogs down.

I know good people turned down for adoption. Don't dismiss the smaller animal charities and those from abroad.

The RSPCA will re-home a dog with a family.

Many Greyhound rescues will too, I highly recommend Greyhounds, we took a couple in when I was a kid.

Flip side of the argument, to do it properly it's expensive, medical insurance, health plans, preventative treatment, food, it all adds up, also kennel fee's if you need to be away from home for a night or more, I have two, when we go on holiday it costs more for them than the kids, also, any reputable kennel won't book you in if the vaccinations are not complete and up to date so there is admin. Oh, and you'll have to scoop some brick.

They are great though, I'll miss mine terribly when they are gone, one of mine is nearly 10, I can't remember life without her.

The RSPCA will re-home a dog with a family.

Many Greyhound rescues will too, I highly recommend Greyhounds, we took a couple in when I was a kid.

Flip side of the argument, to do it properly it's expensive, medical insurance, health plans, preventative treatment, food, it all adds up, also kennel fee's if you need to be away from home for a night or more, I have two, when we go on holiday it costs more for them than the kids, also, any reputable kennel won't book you in if the vaccinations are not complete and up to date so there is admin. Oh, and you'll have to scoop some brick.

They are great though, I'll miss mine terribly when they are gone, one of mine is nearly 10, I can't remember life without her.
Money isn’t a problem tbh
We gave family who want to look after the dog when we’re away too
Everything seems to be against us because of the age of my kids
I’d have thought they were the perfect age

thought about this recently but given we have a newborn, i just cant be dealing with two babies in the house. Plus we do like to get away 2-3 times a year, not fair on the dog.

They are, my daughter was 1 when we got the first dog, my son came along a year after that, he was 4 when we got the second.

You could always buy one, or look for a local private adoption, a relative took in a dog from their neighbours when they moved into a care home.

I’d certainly call your nearest Greyhound rescue, they are sadly often desperate.

We’re not a family to follow trends but we’re now seriously looking at getting a dog
Logic says to me that as we have a big house, both me and the missus work from home a lot and we have plenty of outdoor space we would be perfect to take in and love a rescue dog...
I do understand some of the logic behind it, especially with dogs that have been mis treated but a lot of rescues we have seen have come from Spain or Romania as just unwanted dogs
It all feel plain daft to me. The kids now want a dog as we have discussed it’s with them but we’re kids having to placate there wants because there 7 and 4
Weirdly if we was a bunch of horrible bastards but presented ourselves ok people would gladly sell us the rescue dog :mad::mad::mad:
Strange world we live in
What are the kids like with dogs?

Strange world we live in

Not one of the environmentalists then?

What with pet ownership being so bad for the environment.

Great
They take my bro in laws for walks abs feed him when he is away (with our supervision)

The 'Mrs' says they (Rescue centres) are very very strict on the kid's ages. My daughter is trying to get 'another' dog and due to her youngest only being 6 failing! They prefer 14 years or older.

I can rent out our Harry for long-stay weekends at very reasonable prices?;)

The 'Mrs' says they (Rescue centres) are very very strict on the kid's ages. My daughter is trying to get 'another' dog and due to her youngest only being 6 failing! They prefer 14 years or older.

I can rent out our Harry for long-stay weekends at very reasonable prices?;)
I know
It’s mental TBH

Is this not to protect your kids? If the dog has been abused, or taught to fight, you don't want to find the dog chewing one of the kids' faces off.

Is this not to protect your kids? If the dog has been abused, or taught to fight, you don't want to find the dog chewing one of the kids' faces off.
From what we have found out it’s more to do with the animal
Who knows..
I mean the job of the rescue place is to know the background and pair them up with the families

Back