• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

American politics

I think that it depends on how close it is. Trump has clearly laid the ground for civil unrest if he loses by a narrow margin.

The US isn't a functioning democracy. It is terrifying that you have a US President threatening to imprison political opponents and no one bats an eyelid.

Frightening prospect.

I think that it depends on how close it is. Trump has clearly laid the ground for civil unrest if he loses by a narrow margin.

The US isn't a functioning democracy. It is terrifying that you have a US President threatening to imprison political opponents and no one bats an eyelid.

I think it will be very much pockets rather than everywhere. I "could" be in denial, not sure. These militias are very much in specific places. What I AM concerned about is that of he gets back in, we could see the formal development of a domestic secret security force along the lines of SAVAK. That would very much be in keeping with the current international company he keeps.

I think it will be very much pockets rather than everywhere. I "could" be in denial, not sure. These militias are very much in specific places. What I AM concerned about is that of he gets back in, we could see the formal development of a domestic secret security force along the lines of SAVAK. That would very much be in keeping with the current international company he keeps.

He's already using paid militia. The tyrants normal path is to give their private soldiers/police a state role but keep them under their direct control.

What’s SAVAK?

If Biden wins, there will be a lot of work to do on rebuilding and strengthening the institutions Trump has attacked and weakened.

We see it here too, attacking anything that provides a counterbalance and checks on executive power.

I think Biden/Harris' most important work will be to re-establish global communications with the health and security agencies which can help maintain standards worldwide. Whatever anyone thinks of globalization, it is vital right now that alliances geared for the environment and to protect nations against foreign security breaches are strengthened tenfold, or else the despots will continue to move between the lines and destabilize. I could not believe it when Johnson said his "no deal Brexit" depended on the US election. What a total tosspot. Not that we didn't know. But that was a scary comment. He has the backbone of a jellyfish, the despicable piece of human flotsam...

I think Biden/Harris' most important work will be to re-establish global communications with the health and security agencies which can help maintain standards worldwide. Whatever anyone thinks of globalization, it is vital right now that alliances geared for the environment and to protect nations against foreign security breaches are strengthened tenfold, or else the despots will continue to move between the lines and destabilize. I could not believe it when Johnson said his "no deal Brexit" depended on the US election. What a total tosspot. Not that we didn't know. But that was a scary comment. He has the backbone of a jellyfish, the despicable piece of human flotsam...

I think that not being Trump will give a boost to a lot of countries and international institutions.

The point about strengthening institutions is that they are our best defence against tyranny. US institutions are significantly weakened and need building up again. Let's hope that the Republicans abandon populist nationalism after this election but I wouldn't get on it.

Let's hope people vote Democrat right down the slate, so that attempts to block rebuilding the country aren't thwarted.

The weird thing is, Trump and popularism is a phenomenon, and I can understand it. There was a desire to reinvent and refresh politics. I don't think liberals or those who are opposed appreciate or understand this. There is an appeal just in not being 'politically correct'. Of cutting through all the 'nonsense'. It's a reaction to stagnation in politics. Unfortunately, the 'refreshing' is skin deep in trumps case. All Twitter and surface appearance and soundbites.

The appeal of Corbyn to some is part of a similar phenomenon. To shakeup. To refresh. Yet it is only the media that has been shaken up and refreshed via the digital sphere. The actual processes and patterns of politics are in stasis. But there is a hunger there. I'm not sure people even understand it, its almost a subliminal desire which comes out in voting for the maverick. Brexit also falls into this pattern. Its a kind of democratic cry for help. Please change things. Modernise them.

There isn't much innovation in politics or the way national institutions are run, and that is what is needed. Sure safe established institutions are dependable, but they also stagnate. They need transformation to stay relevant and fresh.

Back