• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

American politics

There's no way Biden making it to 2024. Looks like he can barely stay up until 20.04.

I watched the highlights. What the hell I assumed Biden was talented and polished, how far has America fallen since Obama.

I dont think Obama is the GHod some think he is but he was intelligent and articulate, since him the has been Clinton, Trump and now Biden. Will Obama be the high point of American politics. Would have thought they had some talent coming through???

I watched the highlights. What the hell I assumed Biden was talented and polished, how far has America fallen since Obama.

I dont think Obama is the GHod some think he is but he was intelligent and articulate, since him the has been Clinton, Trump and now Biden. Will Obama be the high point of American politics. Would have thought they had some talent coming through???

You have to obey your corporate overlords or you won't get anywhere in US politics. The democrat establishment made sure Biden won the primaries by getting most of the other candidates to drop out and endorse him, no doubt being promised some favours in return. Harris is VP, Buttigieg on the transition team, Warren a likely secretary of the treasury.

You have to obey your corporate overlords or you won't get anywhere in US politics. The democrat establishment made sure Biden won the primaries by getting most of the other candidates to drop out and endorse him, no doubt being promised some favours in return. Harris is VP, Buttigieg on the transition team, Warren a likely secretary of the treasury.
Sanders for Labour sec is another rumour out there.

100%, if Biden is the best the Dems can put forward, well, that's pretty brick.

But politics is in flux globally, i think a large portion driven by social media and people within their bubbles, hence the left moving further left and the right moving further right.

A lot of the centrists that were previously 'reasonable' are either seen as too far right or left by the opposite pillar.

But 100%, you still want someone sensible to lead your country, someone you think "you know what, at least they know what they're doing". I didn't agree with Cameron on things, but bloody hell i trusted he could execute on what needed to be done.

Trump, BoJo, Jezza, Biden? All garbage. Fingers crossed Keir comes good, most sensible leader we've had in this country near the top end since David Miliband left (no, not you Ed. Sit down).

But politics is in flux globally, i think a large portion driven by social media and people within their bubbles, hence the left moving further left and the right moving further right.

I agree but I think social media fudges the belief, if you believed in Twitter then the left who are very vocal would have made you believe Corbyn would get in last general election, they now think Kier is too central and wont get in but if he ran tomorrow he would I would argue despite Covid.

Issue is that people that are more central are usually more quiet so social media is a terrible yard stick

400%, if Biden is the best the Dems can put forward, well, that's pretty brick.

A lot of the centrists that were previously 'reasonable' are either seen as too far right or left by the opposite pillar.

But 400%, you still want someone sensible to lead your country, someone you think "you know what, at least they know what they're doing". I didn't agree with Cameron on things, but bloody hell i trusted he could execute on what needed to be done.

Trump, BoJo, Jezza, Biden? All garbage. Fingers crossed Keir comes good, most sensible leader we've had in this country near the top end since David Miliband left (no, not you Ed. Sit down).
I don't know how Labour fudged that one up so much.

It's like when I go to the shop and bring back the wrong bread except this actually matters (not that you'd think the bread doesn't listening to my wife).

But 400%, you still want someone sensible to lead your country, someone you think "you know what, at least they know what they're doing". I didn't agree with Cameron on things, but bloody hell i trusted he could execute on what needed to be done.

We are actually pretty close on our general views. I will always be pro independence but that aside I think Keir is the future and a generally sound guy.

I don't know how Labour fudged that one up so much.

It's like when I go to the shop and bring back the wrong bread except this actually matters (not that you'd think the bread doesn't listening to my wife).

Still frustrates me to this day. Was so simple:

Option 1) a guy who polled better with the general public
Option 2) a guy polled worse with the general public

Which one would you want to put forward in a general election to the entire population of the country? If you voted Option 1) then sorry, that's the wrong answer :rolleyes:

Still frustrates me to this day. Was so simple:

Option 1) a guy who polled better with the general public
Option 2) a guy polled worse with the general public

Which one would you want to put forward in a general election to the entire population of the country? If you voted Option 1) then sorry, that's the wrong answer :rolleyes:
They need to free themselves from the bind of the unions. Until they do, there will always be batbrick lefty candidates who have a chance of running their party (...into the ground).

One thing Biden somewhat represents in the current context and climate is the middle. It will either be his crowning or undoing, because as you said, extremes are the increasing norm and middle ground is simply not around much. But Biden should never be in the same sentence as Trump. Like him or not Biden is a career politician. Trump simply isn't.

They need to free themselves from the bind of the unions. Until they do, there will always be batbrick lefty candidates who have a chance of running their party (...into the ground).

The Tories need to free themselves from the bind of big business. Until they do, there will always be bat brick right wing candidates who have a chance of running their party9into the ground).

I like this game.

Last edited:
The Tories need to free themselves form the bind of big business. Until they do, there will always be bat brick right wing candidates who have a chance of running their party9into the ground).

I like this game.
The Conservatives don't have a clause in their rule book giving businesses a disproportionately large say in the next leader of the party.

Neither, for that matter, do businesses want extremists in charge of any of our parties. Centre Right stability is what most want.

The Conservatives don't have a clause in their rule book giving businesses a disproportionately large say in the next leader of the party.

Neither, for that matter, do businesses want extremists in charge of any of our parties. Centre Right stability is what most want.

Of course they don't, it's a given. The Tories are the political arm of big business. How can you deny that?

Of course they don't, it's a given. The Tories are the political arm of big business. How can you deny that?
There's never been a business that chose the Conservative leader - not the way the unions do.

Labour are bound by their own rules to give a disproportionately large part of their vote to what is essentially a politically motivated lobbying group. The Conservatives and businesses simply have the same goals for the country.

That's not in any way the same thing.

Why are political debates just petty squabbles and blame pushing? Where the fudge is the talk of future planning and policy? Surely that's the whole purpose of these things?

Politics has become such a partisan sporting event that the actual issues don't seem to matter anymore.

It's a big problem in the states, but it's trending that way everywhere.

What ever happened to critical thinking and changing one's mind based on new information?

2 old white guys spending what a billion pounds between them on advertising arguing about who's more progressive - just a tad embarassing all round really.

Back