• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

American politics

Stopping of flights from China might have bought some time, or maybe none, but any time was squandered through inaction. The virus had already caught hold before the flight ban as some 400k people had already come from China after the virus surfaced and before the ban. And even after the ban another 40k came in!!! And even if they went full KKK as you say (not mostly famous for their anti-Asian stance) it was probably European travelers that imported more of the virus. The horse had bolted.

Who knows how a democratic administration would have fared with Corona but they did pretty well with the Ebola outbreak. We can do a comparison if you want but there really is none. Their handling of it was exemplary and they literally wrote the book about it, which needless to say was ignored by this administration. Trump's handling of this virus has been textbook incompetence.

Perhaps one day an investigation will find out whether whether it’s mere coincidence that the decade long PREDICT project ran out of funding 2 months before the COVID-19 outbreak...

As sounds like that Wuhan Institute of Virology was in need of some supervision...

I think Biden will get the votes especially if postal voting becomes widespread.

I think this is the play, declare the result illegitimate...

It will get ugly, real ugly. Riots, violence, hate crimes - if Biden wins, the Trump fanatics will be so worked up and ready to fight back. And these are the nutters with big weapon arsenals too.

If Biden was elected now then his position will be far left of the Obama/Biden position when they were in the hot seat. The current version of Biden is not the same animal as he was back then. He is more malleable, as his recent reacharound to Bernie Sanders has shown (there's a mental image you won't forget quickly ).
The dem primary has shown that the party has moved to more progressive policy positions across the board. This is largely down to the needs of the moment (e.g. climate change) but also the progressive wing of the democratic party in the guise of Sanders, Warren, AOC have pulled it that way.

Current version of Biden probably labour IMHO.

Really, maybe to get the nomination he's leaned a little to the left and been more respectful of some of their opinions but I don't believe that someone who has been a politician all his career is suddently going to tack left. It wouldn't win an election anyway, the US as a nation isn't left.

What's more worrying is that many progressive policies aren't really progressive at all by European standards, I mean the country doesn't even have legal maternity leave.

Really, maybe to get the nomination he's leaned a little to the left and been more respectful of some of their opinions but I don't believe that someone who has been a politician all his career is suddently going to tack left. It wouldn't win an election anyway, the US as a nation isn't left.

What's more worrying is that many progressive policies aren't really progressive at all by European standards, I mean the country doesn't even have legal maternity leave.
You are right in that they don't seem too progressive by European standards but by US standards the policy proposals in the primaries certainly were, including Bidens.
Whether Biden chooses to enact what are accepted as widely popular policies remain to be seen, but the noises are good, and he has made a concerted effort to reach out to the progressive wing of the party since Sanders dropped out. I also see Inslee is pitching his climate plan to him. Warren had the sense early to recognize Inslee was streets ahead of everyone else with his plan and she adopted it wholesale. I really hope Biden sees the light on this too.

The wildcard on how far left the Overton window has shifted is the virus. This has exposed the brittle nature of US society as nothing else could have. There is no safety net for most of the working US and when you are standing on a cliff looking over the edge, those so-called progressive policies look very good indeed. Also the way Trump has made it his mission to dismantle large chunks of the federal government may allow for a reboot in a slightly different direction. They are going to have to rebuild a lot of the institutions anyway so I hope they take the opportunity if it presents itself. Maybe some of this is wishful thinking but I'll take the climate stuff, a push against rising authoritarianism and no Trump, as a big win.

Last edited:
Back