• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Window Thread

Don't understand how you can still think that Trippier is better than Kyle Walker. He's an integral part of one of the best teams in the world and offers so much more than Trippier.

I think there are a handful of peak-age FBs that are performing better than Trippier/Davies, but I'd be much more in favor of us bringing in one of the young prospects from England (Sessegnon, Wan Bissaka, or Chilwell) or Tierney from Celtic who have the athletic traits that allow them to defend and attack like Rose and Walker did a few years ago.

I've always maintained that it's better to get rid of a player a year too soon than a year too late. No one illustrates that credo better than Kyle Sleepwalker.

Throughout his career he has relied on superior physical attributes to succeed. Never had to think that hard, just run. Now, as he begins to lose pace and agility, he doesn't have the mental capability to adapt. He is a walking brain fart out there.

I'd take a slightly less naturally-gifted grafter like Trippier over that any day. He's had to constantly find ways to up his game to keep moving up. He has the smarts to stay there longer than Walker has. Witness his improved ball striking from set pieces, for starters.

He's not the be-all and end-all of LBs. In today's game, it's become a consumptive, wearing role to play, day in and day out, and it will always require someone not unlike Aurier to spell him and bring similar attributes. I'm good with the current combo.

Moving forward, not really sure who else might fit in at that role. I like what Chilwell offers and certainly Sessegnon has promise and potential early availability if Fulham continue to flounder.

As for Tierney, no idea. Seriously, who actually watches Scottish football these days with that degree of attention? Not me, a boyhood Rangers and Hearts fan via family influences. Nowadays, a lifetime and an ocean away, don't give a fLIck about all that sectarian-driven nonsense.

I'd be looking to move Trippier on this summer. He's 28, turns 29 next Sept, and whilst he looks like a top 4 standard RB when he plays well, his average level in my view is a mid-table sort of level. On current form he's not even that.

It leaves a bit of a quandry at RB though. KWP isnt getting the opportunities so far this season, which means its probably safe to assume that he wont get many for the rest of the season, barring injuries, yet he could also be the future so stiffling him next season wouldnt make sense. So should we shell out what it takes to get a genuinely first choice RB when KWP could get there in time? Aurier remains utterly unconvincing but I dont see us selling both Trippier and Aurier in the same summer.

I'd probably flog Trippier and take the chance with KWP and Aurier next year (I think)

McGinn is considerably outplaying him every week

Not in the games I’ve watched.
Grealish has been great. If we don’t get him he will be stanapped up by a Chelsea or the like.
He’s another Dele and these players are rare.
Terry is on the case for Chelsea I’m hearing!
As I said to last time McGinn is off to Celtic rumour has it wants to play back in Scotland and Spam are trying to annoy him with big wages offer.
Terry will be manager there by January.

Last edited:
Not in the games I’ve watched.
Grealish has been great. If we don’t get him he will be stanapped up by a Chelsea or the like.
He’s another Dele and these players are rare.
Terry is on the case for Chelsea I’m hearing!
As I said to last time McGinn is off to Celtic rumour has it wants to play back in Scotland and Spam are trying to annoy him with big wages offer.
Terry will be manager thier by Januar.
McGinn outplaying Grealish is nonsense, especially more so when considering Grealish is the marked man given special attention every game. No coincidence hes the most fouled player in the league....

McGinn outplaying Grealish is nonsense, especially more so when considering Grealish is the marked man given special attention every game. No coincidence hes the most fouled player in the league....

Think Pochettino could work wonders with the lad, Dele and him are already best mates.
Nothing is guaranteed with any player, he’s worth a risk imo.

Think Pochettino could work wonders with the lad, Dele and him are already best mates.
Nothing is guaranteed with any player, he’s worth a risk imo.

I agree. I've watched a couple of games. The key word for me is CLASS. Even IF McGinn has performed better I would say Grealish has much more chance of being a success at a level up as you can see he has a bit more in the locker, that bit more skill, that bit more pace, that bit more class. I'm positive Poch would get the maximum out of him and that he would absolutely thrive with better players around him.

In today's market, £25m doesn't go far at all, especially with home grown.

I agree. I've watched a couple of games. The key word for me is CLASS. Even IF McGinn has performed better I would say Grealish has much more chance of being a success at a level up as you can see he has a bit more in the locker, that bit more skill, that bit more pace, that bit more class. I'm positive Poch would get the maximum out of him and that he would absolutely thrive with better players around him.

In today's market, £25m doesn't go far at all, especially with home grown.

Think they will be looking for over £30m

Might be able to give Eriksen some help/down time/or...

Think they will be looking for over £30m

I think so too. Was kinda referring to the previous bid (I wasn't clear admittedly).

If I woke up and saw we'd paid 30-35 for him I wouldn't be devastated. It would be full of add on's anyway - so the top of the figure would only be reached if he did well.

Villa went all in again to be promoted, they are breaking FFP ( FL FFP now has more teeth, not just financial penalties) and the money has to come from the club not from their new owners. Without doing a dodgy Emirates Marketing Project like sponsorship injecting funds (its not that easy) they will need to sell and Grealish is their only saleable asset. The owners money in the summer meant they could pay the tax bill hence gave them some breathing space but they are still on the hook for FFP.

They are currently sitting 14th so could see them selling up in January for funds, I don't see a lot of competition for him from others. I can't see him costing more than £25M.

Last edited:
Saw the QPR v Villa game and Grealish was pretty poor in the line of AM’s behind the striker. McGinn didn’t stand out either, Villa look very average overall. Don’t think anyone in the Villa side would improve our team. Best player on the pitch by an absolute mile was the QPR striker Eze.

That said, for the right price, basically what Levy was offering in the summer, then I can see the thinking behind getting Grealish for the squad and bumping out someone like GKN. Homegrown as well.

Saw the QPR v Villa game and Grealish was pretty poor in the line of AM’s behind the striker. McGinn didn’t stand out either, Villa look very average overall. Don’t think anyone in the Villa side would improve our team. Best player on the pitch by an absolute mile was the QPR striker Eze.

That said, for the right price, basically what Levy was offering in the summer, then I can see the thinking behind getting Grealish for the squad and bumping out someone like GKN. Homegrown as well.
My QPR mate says Eze is going to be a top player, and they won't be able to keep him for long.

I've always maintained that it's better to get rid of a player a year too soon than a year too late. No one illustrates that credo better than Kyle Sleepwalker.

Throughout his career he has relied on superior physical attributes to succeed. Never had to think that hard, just run. Now, as he begins to lose pace and agility, he doesn't have the mental capability to adapt. He is a walking brain fart out there.

I'd take a slightly less naturally-gifted grafter like Trippier over that any day. He's had to constantly find ways to up his game to keep moving up. He has the smarts to stay there longer than Walker has. Witness his improved ball striking from set pieces, for starters.

He's not the be-all and end-all of LBs. In today's game, it's become a consumptive, wearing role to play, day in and day out, and it will always require someone not unlike Aurier to spell him and bring similar attributes. I'm good with the current combo.

Moving forward, not really sure who else might fit in at that role. I like what Chilwell offers and certainly Sessegnon has promise and potential early availability if Fulham continue to flounder.

As for Tierney, no idea. Seriously, who actually watches Scottish football these days with that degree of attention? Not me, a boyhood Rangers and Hearts fan via family influences. Nowadays, a lifetime and an ocean away, don't give a fLIck about all that sectarian-driven nonsense.

I can't really agree with this, Trippers has very poor concentration levels as we've seen this week. He's also very susceptible to pacy wingers who like to dribble/run past people like Sane and Sterling who have both destroyed him previously. At his best he's very good but he only performs at that level every 3 games or so.

Pep has been quoted as realising Walker won't always have his pace so the club are working to adapt his style of play so he doesn't rely on it so much.

I can't really agree with this, Trippers has very poor concentration levels as we've seen this week. He's also very susceptible to pacy wingers who like to dribble/run past people like Sane and Sterling who have both destroyed him previously. At his best he's very good but he only performs at that level every 3 games or so.

Pep has been quoted as realising Walker won't always have his pace so the club are working to adapt his style of play so he doesn't rely on it so much.

Couldn't agree more with this. Pep's system is very complicated, and he's spoken about Walker's evolution — basically being able to play two different roles: a super attacking RWB when in possession and tucking into to almost a RCB in defense or when Mendy is bombing forward. He even comes inside sometimes and plays almost like a central midfielder. Southgate has said that tactical flexibility he showed at City made him consider KW for a RCB role in the England team. I think the "Dumb Kyle Walker" stereotype is old and not indicative of what the flexible, versatile player he is and how much he's grown under Pep. 50 million was a great fee for Walker, but I think he'll be a top player for at least a few more years and miles ahead of anywhere Trippier will get.

Walker digs more into this in this video. It's really interesting.

Trippers has very poor concentration levels as we've seen this week. He's also very susceptible to pacy wingers who like to dribble/run past people like Sane and Sterling who have both destroyed him previously. At his best he's very good but he only performs at that level every 3 games or so.

Also, this hits the tickle my balls with a feather perfectly. Trippier is fantastic against lesser competition who can't take advantage of his dodgy positional play (i.e the second penalty against Wolves) and lack of pace/athleticism (i.e. Barcelona destroyed him and constantly got in behind him, Sterling, Mané, etc). But if his focus is totally on going forward against lesser teams, he'll create and progress the ball forward. He's the perfect second choice RB, but he will constantly let us down against the good teams.

Imagine if Winks had been loaned to Villa and played in the Championship this year. How would he look? As good as Grealish?
What about if we had loaned Eriksen to Villa?
Or Dembele?
Players should really be looking immense in the Championship, if they even think of coming to join The Mighty Spurs Bandwagon.

Back