• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Window Thread

Kanchelskis was ethnic Lithuanian, born to Ukraine, but picked Russian nationality after the collapse of the USSR.

I've never been convinced by Yarmolenko, but being made of glass kind of counts as flopping too

Well, if your argument is along the lines of "Ukrainian culture is too different from English culture, so people born and bred there won't succeed in England", then Kanchelskis is a good example of that not being true. There really haven't been too many Ukrainian players in the PL though. Zinchenko who's currently playing for Emirates Marketing Project looks like a proper player to me.

Well, if your argument is along the lines of "Ukrainian culture is too different from English culture, so people born and bred there won't succeed in England", then Kanchelskis is a good example of that not being true. There really haven't been too many Ukrainian players in the PL though. Zinchenko who's currently playing for Emirates Marketing Project looks like a proper player to me.

Sporting success is usually seen to be about 98% down to genetics, so its worth considering track records of different parts of the world; though of course there are always exceptions.

Sporting success is usually seen to be about 98% down to genetics, so its worth considering track records of different parts of the world; though of course there are always exceptions.

Well, having good genes in order to perform well physically and mentally, sure, but are you saying an entire nation are susceptible to have "bad football genes to perform well in England"? That's obviously gonad*s. Both Rebrov and Shevchenko performed really well before they came to England, for instance.

It is utter nonsense to say that genetics plays a significant factor in the ability of Ukrainian footballers to be successful in England compared to their near neighbours.

Well, having good genes in order to perform well physically and mentally, sure, but are you saying an entire nation are susceptible to have "bad football genes to perform well in England"? That's obviously gonads. Both Rebrov and Shevchenko performed really well before they came to England, for instance.

It's a view that Strachan was rightly lambasted for when he tried to blame Scotland failing to qualify for the WC on genetics.

It is utter nonsense to say that genetics plays a significant factor in the ability of Ukrainian footballers to be successful in England compared to their near neighbours.

I’d argue that it helps players as much having players and people form their home country here to settle

I definitely feel its a "thing" that players from certain parts of the world can struggle in certain leagues.

And, at this point, Russian and Ukranian players are yet to be really considered a success in the EPL IMO.

For me its a cultural thing, both on and off the pitch. Understanding the way of working and living is massive.

And, for me, its something that should change the more players come and acclimate.

For a long time, a good while back admittedly, Italian players just couldnt seem to work over here. Then Zola, Vialli, DiMatteo came over and broke the mould. Similarly Spanish, was a long time before Spanish players could be considered a real success here (Herrera at Bolton the first to my memory!). And, of course, thats history now.

Its because of that I wouldnt reject a player on nationality. If we were linked to a Ukranian play this January - for sure I would have concerns about how he settles - but I would certainly back his signing still if he looks a good player.

I definitely feel its a "thing" that players from certain parts of the world can struggle in certain leagues.

And, at this point, Russian and Ukranian players are yet to be really considered a success in the EPL IMO.

For me its a cultural thing, both on and off the pitch. Understanding the way of working and living is massive.

And, for me, its something that should change the more players come and acclimate.

For a long time, a good while back admittedly, Italian players just couldnt seem to work over here. Then Zola, Vialli, DiMatteo came over and broke the mould. Similarly Spanish, was a long time before Spanish players could be considered a real success here (Herrera at Bolton the first to my memory!). And, of course, thats history now.

Its because of that I wouldnt reject a player on nationality. If we were linked to a Ukranian play this January - for sure I would have concerns about how he settles - but I would certainly back his signing still if he looks a good player.

It helps if a player has the right mind set

You would assume now Russians would find plenty of friends in London as there are plenty there but so far none have really settled

Can’t remembe the lad Chelsea signed who we wanted but he was a player who I thought would make that step up ... (dark haired attacking midfielder)

Too early to say for Yarmolenko IMO, couple of promising games, couple of annonymous.

Looked more like he had potential than was actually delivering, if you know what I mean?

I think it was the Utd game where he stood out, but otherwise kind of "meh" but with flashes of quality.

Its a shame for them he is injured, because he looked like he could really add something to the side.

Too early to say for Yarmolenko IMO, couple of promising games, couple of annonymous.

Looked more like he had potential than was actually delivering, if you know what I mean?

I think it was the Utd game where he stood out, but otherwise kind of "meh" but with flashes of quality.

Its a shame for them he is injured, because he looked like he could really add something to the side.
Of course its a small sample size but looked like he was getting going to me and whenever he gets the ball looks like he could do something. Shame that injury should have ended his season, and will have to start all over again...

Early reports said it could be six months, a massive blow for them.

Looking at their side, its basically dross with a couple of bright spots.

Yarmolenko was looking like he could be one of those bright spots, obviously not now.

Think that's right.

Felipe Anderson looks to be good going forward but forget him tracking back.
The lack of the players prepared to do hard yards and do both is their 'Achilles heel' pun intended!

I was pretty impressed with Diop.

So was Mourinho. I would imagine he's already slipped out of our pay scale.

Arnautovic is decent. Excellent movement, strong, quick and skilful.

I expect Yarmoleko possible issue is that he is so one footed....although can think of one or two others that get by.

I was always suprised that we never went in for Arnautovic. He looked like a great fit for our system.

On a seperate note, we are being linked today with Bradley Dack of Blackburn Rovers, with the "news" site saying that our scouts have been impressed. I've taken one look on youtube and concluded that Poch would need him for 6 months just in order to get him fit for our system.

Back