• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer window changes

***BREAKING NEWS***

Premier League to amend summer transfer window, starting 2018/19. Window to now close 1700 on Thursday before start of season.

upload_2017-9-7_14-33-5.gif
Richard Conway

richard_conway

PL teams will still be able to sell up until the standard deadline. Impacts purchases only. 12 week window remains.

1:25 p.m. - 7 September 2017

Brilliant news on one hand, teams will be much more settled going into the season.

On the other hand, France, Spain, Germany - still close later on and could conceivably take EPL players which wouldnt then be able to be replaced...

Fantastic news

Abolishing the January window and limited the number of outward loans will hopefully be next

I predict that more as teething problems. Especially if players have release clauses, clubs are then over a barrell.

That said I expect it to sort itself out in time anyway - and I would expect other leagues to fall in line as well. Makes even more sense for those that start a little later than us, they could effectively settle their squads with some preseason remaining.

Fantastic news

Abolishing the January window and limited the number of outward loans will hopefully be next

Just out of interest why?

Loans are great for league clubs with small budgets

Shutting of the window is great. My have a full team for the first game.

I see no major issue with the Jan window. Its there in case a major player gets injured in the first half of the season so clubs have a chance to recover.

Equally, if a team is struggling the Jan window has saved a few, I think its fine.

Loans are an interesting one. The sort of practises Chelsea use are horrific and quite rightly should be stopped. By the same token loans themselves can really help all parties involved.

Just out of interest why?

Loans are great for league clubs with small budgets

Shutting of the window is great. My have a full team for the first game.

To stop Chelsea buying hundreds of players and farming them out. If loans are restricted the players would still be owned by the lower league clubs who brought them through in the first place.

I see no major issue with the Jan window. Its there in case a major player gets injured in the first half of the season so clubs have a chance to recover.

Equally, if a team is struggling the Jan window has saved a few, I think its fine.

Loans are an interesting one. The sort of practises Chelsea use are horrific and quite rightly should be stopped. By the same token loans themselves can really help all parties involved.

The January window has the same effect as the late August period - it's disruptive while fixtures are ongoing. It also only benefits poorly run clubs who need to panic buy, or those who want to buy themselves out of relegation trouble. Stopping it would also give more opportunities to academy players in the event of injuries. But 25 senior players should be ample for the year.

The type of limits on loans I have in mind is say maximum six 20-23 YOs + two over 23s. That would still be enough to develop youth while stopping Chelsea's industry.

Premier League: Transfer window will close before start of season

• 22 minutes ago
  • From the sectionFootball
_97706947_2438b30c-95a4-47be-939f-7319e8cf2a87.jpg

Renato Sanches, Alexis Sanchez, Philippe Coutinho and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain were each a focus of the summer transfer window
Premier League clubs have voted to close next summer's transfer window before the 2018-19 season starts.

Managers have complained that allowing players to move once the season is under way causes disruption to their squads and preparations.

From next season, the window will close at 17:00 BST on the Thursday before the Premier League campaign begins.

The vote was not unanimous and clubs will still be able to sell players until the end of the normal window.

The window across Europe runs until 31 August.

The Premier League's move means while clubs will be able to sell until that date, buying activity will cease on 9 August for the 2018-19 season.

European leagues will still be able to buy and sell until 31 August, while the Football League's window also remains unaltered.

Football League bosses have indicated they could follow the Premier League's move but require further dialogue with stakeholders before a decision is made.

The number of Premier League clubs who wanted the change is not yet clear, but at least 14 of the 20 must have voted for the move in order for a change to take place.

The right way to do business?
upload_2017-9-7_16-19-27.gif
Arsene Wenger faced questions over the future of Alexis Sanchez until the end of the summer transfer window
The early finish will not mean the Premier League's transfer window is shorter as it will start earlier and be 12 weeks long, in line with Fifa rules.

In August, Tottenham striker Harry Kane said closing the window early would allow players to concentrate.

His views were echoed on Friday by Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger, who stated players need "clarity".

"It's important that we close all that stuff before the championship starts," said Wenger. "Players have no clarity. Are they in? Are they out? Will they be tapped up on the afternoon of a game? It's not the way to work."

Former Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson also said the window should be closed early when he was asked about Barcelona's bids for Liverpool's Philippe Coutinho.

Speaking before Thursday's announcement, Everton manager Ronald Koeman said he hoped the rest of Europe would follow the move.

"If we do it in the Premier League and the rest of Europe don't do this, still we have a problem," said Koeman. "The best is before starting the competitions, stop the transfer window because it's very silly."

Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho stressed the fact European clubs would have a wider opportunity to do business would not be a disadvantage for English clubs.

"The risk is minimal and even those powerful clubs have to know if we can't buy players we're not going to sell," said Mourinho.

World Cup impact? Your views...
upload_2017-9-7_16-19-27.gif
The 2018 World Cup will finish less than a month before the Premier League transfer window shuts
The 2018-19 season will follow the Fifa World Cup in Russia, which will finish on 15 July.

Premier League clubs will still be able to do business during the tournament but will now have only 25 days after its conclusion in which to complete signings.

Some of the BBC Sport audience, who got in touch via #bbcsportsday,believe implementing the change in a World Cup year could be problematic.

Tam: Teams can still sell after the window shuts though? What's the point if it's just England. Puts English teams at a disadvantage

JCW: Getting 90% of business done before the season should be a good thing. But with a World Cup next summer window, probably not the best time.

Nick Mottram: Prediction - top player is available. PL club wants player. PL window closes. Player goes elsewhere. Repeat. Angry fans protest.

Ryan Palmer: Awful, awful decision to close the window early. Players can still be poached away, puts every Prem side at a disadvantage.

To stop Chelsea buying hundreds of players and farming them out. If loans are restricted the players would still be owned by the lower league clubs who brought them through in the first place.

Hardly any of the players have come in from lower league clubs - overseas mainly.

If a player wants to ruin their career by moving to Chelsea that's up to them.

Shutting the Jan window only benefits big clubs with massive squads and academy's

It's also going to increase transfer fees again.

The January window has the same effect as the late August period - it's disruptive while fixtures are ongoing. It also only benefits poorly run clubs who need to panic buy, or those who want to buy themselves out of relegation trouble. Stopping it would also give more opportunities to academy players in the event of injuries. But 25 senior players should be ample for the year.

I disagree. If you are going to stop clubs making moves throughout the season they need an opportunity to change things mid way.

If we had major injury problems, Kane, Eriksen and Wanyama all going down long term - not having the chance to strengthen the squad in Jan could effectively write off any chance of success for the season. And we are not a badly run club, nor looking to buy our way out of trouble.

It is only fair clubs have a chance mid season to try and help themselves.

Id be happy if it was just a couple of weeks, perhaps even over a winter break - Im not wedded to a full month nor it overlapping games.

However, the chance to try and effect your season is a right that shouldnt be taken away.

The type of limits on loans I have in mind is say maximum six 20-23 YOs + two over 23s. That would still be enough to develop youth while stopping Chelsea's industry.

Sounds reasonable to me. Anything that allows loans to be productive as intended, but prevents stockpiling of youth as business practice is fine by me.

Back