• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Tittle-Tattle

But at the time that would have made him our highest paid player and he woudknt have merited it, and arguably we couldn’t afford it then

Going forward we can afford more and are paying more

Maybe so, but at the time he would have been worth it.

I agree we are paying more, but I fear the next time a "Mane" is available and Liverpool or Arsenal want him as well, we always lose out because we will not be able to compete.

I guess the way I manage the situation is that I have come to terms with the fact that I simply so not expect us to win the league or the CL in the foreseeable future.

They bought in Ederson and Laporte for big money

Neither were proven at this level or near it arguably

Yet people say you have to buy players at our level...

Now I await someone telling me Laporte was proven but he hadn’t played European or international football and was playing for a mid table side

ederson has played 37 games in a mid standard league in Europe .... a league that lots would say isn’t better than the championship (apart from 3 teams)

Ederson was a key improvement to their system

Could also argue that Sane with only 47 first team games under his belt was a prospect

They wouldn't be my definition of prospect in the sense of younger more unknown and cheaper players. They were very highly rated and cost massive money - around 40-50m each I believe.

I agree we are paying more, but I fear the next time a "Mane" is available and Liverpool or Arsenal want him as well, we always lose out because we will not be able to compete.

I guess the way I manage the situation is that I have come to terms with the fact that I simply so not expect us to win the league or the CL in the foreseeable future.

Arsenal are cutting back big time

Yeah pool may, who knows

Then it comes down to the player himself

And IMO at the time he wouldn’t have been worth it. Guy hasn’t won a trophy anywhere he has played yet has he? So why should be get paid more than more proven players at the time

They wouldn't be my definition of prospect in the sense of younger more unknown and cheaper players. They were very highly rated and cost massive money - around 40-50m each I believe.

Still young, unproven players. They cost big money as they were being sold to city and held in high regard

They could easily have flopped too

Yeah but I don't really consider someone costing over £40m a prospect, I associate a prospect with someone a lot cheaper who is less known etc.

I was more interested to know where you plot a signing like Sanchez in the order of things as i personally think we will see more of those types of signings in the future once we move in to the stadium.

Along with ready mades like Sissoko, Moura, Alderweireld, Trippier, Aurier, Son, Wanyama etc

Yeah but I don't really consider someone costing over £40m a prospect, I associate a prospect with someone a lot cheaper who is less known etc.
The fee doesn’t mean their not a prospect...

The fee is governed by the selling club putting a value on the potential of that player for them and therefore judging the player as a prospect

Look at Kepa... that price is crazy but he is hardly proven

Last edited:
I was more interested to know where you plot a signing like Sanchez in the order of things as i personally think we will see more of those types of signings in the future once we move in to the stadium.

Along with ready mades like Sissoko, Moura, Alderweireld, Trippier, Aurier, Son, Wanyama etc

I'm very happy with players like Sanchez coming in but I think we also need some who have a bit of experience (ideally with winning things) that can come straight into the first XI for us to kick on.

The fee doesn’t mean their not a prospect...

The fee is governed by the selling club putting a value on the potential of that player for them and therefore judging the player as a prospect

Look at Kepa... that price is crazy but he is hardly proven

True, prices have gone crazy and I'd never heard of Kepa before his move.

It might have been difficult to invest in the first team because of non home grown players but I feel we need to be creative. Buy and loan back for someone like Ndombele last summer would have been a shrewd bit of business. Knowing that we would have got a player for the future and knowing that Dembele would be at the end of his contract this season(I know we ended up selling) plus others would likely leave.

We need to show a bit more flexibility in the market and think differently about things.

And IMO at the time he wouldn’t have been worth it. Guy hasn’t won a trophy anywhere he has played yet has he? So why should be get paid more than more proven players at the time

I think the fact as to whether or not he had previously won a trophy anywhere is irrelevant and you know it. Otherwise one could have argued that in the past Djimi Traore would have been an excellent signing for us because he won the CL with Liverpool.

Anyway, for the record Mane won the League and Cup Double in Austria in 2014 scoring 23 goals that season before joining Southampton in the summer of that year

It might have been difficult to invest in the first team because of non home grown players but I feel we need to be creative. Buy and loan back for someone like Ndombele last summer would have been a shrewd bit of business. Knowing that we would have got a player for the future and knowing that Dembele would be at the end of his contract this season(I know we ended up selling) plus others would likely leave.

We need to show a bit more flexibility in the market and think differently about things.

Trust me, he would have been so expensive that no way would Levy be loaning him back, this guy is and was highly rated, so when he signs he is not the kind of player you loan back. i agree we need to be creative though

I think the fact as to whether or not he had previously won a trophy anywhere is irrelevant and you know it. Otherwise one could have argued that in the past Djimi Traore would have been an excellent signing for us because he won the CL with Liverpool.

Anyway, for the record Mane won the League and Cup Double in Austria in 2014 scoring 23 goals that season before joining Southampton in the summer of that year

And that would have been the time to buy him

Is always easy in hindsight when someone is a success to say we should have, would have abs could have... he could easily have been a jansen for us too or even a Markovic, both forgotten players

He hasn’t though and has been very good most of the time (has more plenty of average spells too)

Look to leagues and teams that will sell for a start... Germany has everyone who will sell for a price except Bayern

France you have PSG who only want names and then you have players at Lyon who we could get but they wouldn’t be cheap (and why would they)

Can’t tjink of any onbvous candidates in Italy but sure there are some ... and this league is a step up for them

Spain again is a league I don’t know well enough to comment on

Ajax is a great breeding ground and every player there has a price

And that would have been the time to buy him

Is always easy in hindsight when someone is a success to say we should have, would have abs could have... he could easily have been a jansen for us too or even a Markovic, both forgotten players

He hasn’t though and has been very good most of the time (has more plenty of average spells too)

Maybe so but 53 goals in 111 matches is not shabby, especially when you add to that the assists and chances created. His pace scares me, and I hope we can add some more pace to our squad in the summer with end product. At the moment when Son is not on fire we do not seem to have much pace to scare teams.

Maybe so but 53 goals in 111 matches is not shabby, especially when you add to that the assists and chances created. His pace scares me, and I hope we can add some more pace to our squad in the summer with end product. At the moment when Son is not on fire we do not seem to have much pace to scare teams.

He is a very good player
Streaky but very good. He has a habit of scoring in batches and his current run is dragging Liverpool up as Salad has reverted to type (until he plays us whole he always scores against)
He is very similar to Son actually
And I agree we need pace. We’re crying out for it TBF as it brings a variety with it

If we added a couple of quality players and a couple of hungry youngsters we could really push again next season. No WC mins, stadium issues etc. We were close to City and Liverpool up to a month ago (separated largely by our 'home' results against both). Liv unlikely to go any better than this season, just got to hope for a City blip!

Back