• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer thread

Tell you what did make me laugh
United rolled out the red carpet to sign Bellingham and showed him their training ground which isn’t in the same league as Dortmund’s
United seriously have to invest in their infrastructure to get these types of players

Seems an odd move for a club with so much young talent that’s changing the game
I mean he is class and better than any player they have but they were meant to be big on their own players
It’s also now subject to them shifting a lot of players to fund it

Certainly the song they were singing when forbidden from buying players. But unlock the door and, surprise, surprise, they can't help but input the cheat code.

But he will need to adapt to Mou and our style
And of course we would have to outbid Neverton
Well of course all players have to adapt to their new club manager and tactics, but at least they are already adapted to the league and the country,
so there is less adaption required, which hopefully enables them to hit the ground running / have more chance of being a success.

Also they can be scouted for more performances against our direct opponents. I’m not saying we should never buy outside the prem again, but the combination of the immediate need to improve on a pretty low bar for a few positions, plus question marks over the integration of most of the last batch of incomings I think we need a lower risk approach to start next season from a stronger foundation.

Yeah, it seems like Saints fans don't rate him that highly. He's probably a decent player, but won't be exceptional in any way. We don't really need him for his passing though, so hopefully won't be a big problem.
Well if his passing is not up to scratch, he'll soon get the Bentaleb treatment

he is decent in possession and they did the same when we signed wanyama
My issue is with him he is out performed in almost every stat but Ward Prowse who isn’t Known as a DM.... that’s scary and thats who we should be looking at
Money is one factor, and I think Ward Prowse would cost quite a bit more. We know money is going to be tight this window.

Fitting into our team and our style is another. Currently we pretty much only have Sissoko that adds a physical aspect to central midfield. If a new signing is to thrive in our system next to Lo Celso, Winks or Ndombele I think we need that physical presence. I don't think Ward Prowse would be a good fit in that regard.

Finally I think defensive stats are rather hard to interpret. The Athletic presented stats compiled by smarter scout, adjusted for his position. Scores out of 100:

Defensive:
Tackling ability 90
Ball recoveries and interceptions 97
Disrupting opp. moves 84

Those aren't stats that are available to us so I don't know how Ward Prowse would have scored. Good numbers though.

As an aside his worst was the possession state ball retention (10) and his possession stats were in general rather poor. Interestingly his attacking stats (xG from shot creation at 75, xG from ball progression at 77 and reception in opp. box at 79) were all rather good. Perhaps indicating a more direct, less possession oriented style.

The story was about him being linked to Everton so they compared him to Tom Davies, Delph and Andre Gomes. Was better than all of them in attacking stats (as well as defensive, by some margin looking at the whole).

Seems the people who said Roman was no longer interested in Chelsea and won’t splash big cash were wrong then.

As an aside his worst was the possession state ball retention (10) and his possession stats were in general rather poor. Interestingly his attacking stats (xG from shot creation at 75, xG from ball progression at 77 and reception in opp. box at 79) were all rather good. Perhaps indicating a more direct, less possession oriented style.

From what I saw of Southampton when he was playing, he was being asked to play a lot of long balls. You'd expect a lower ball retention from that but you can understand our interest if playing on the break is here to stay.

Money is one factor, and I think Ward Prowse would cost quite a bit more. We know money is going to be tight this window.

Fitting into our team and our style is another. Currently we pretty much only have Sissoko that adds a physical aspect to central midfield. If a new signing is to thrive in our system next to Lo Celso, Winks or Ndombele I think we need that physical presence. I don't think Ward Prowse would be a good fit in that regard.

Finally I think defensive stats are rather hard to interpret. The Athletic presented stats compiled by smarter scout, adjusted for his position. Scores out of 100:

Defensive:
Tackling ability 90
Ball recoveries and interceptions 97
Disrupting opp. moves 84

Those aren't stats that are available to us so I don't know how Ward Prowse would have scored. Good numbers though.

The story was about him being linked to Everton so they compared him to Tom Davies, Delph and Andre Gomes. Was better than all of them in attacking stats (as well as defensive, by some margin looking at the whole).
I posted a while back his defensive stats (actual season) vs Ward Prowse and he was inferior on nearly all of them
That’s not to say he is a poor player, just that maybe we’re looking at the wrong one
For a DM to have worst defensive stats that a creative one is odd

I posted a while back his defensive stats (actual season) vs Ward Prowse and he was inferior on nearly all of them
That’s not to say he is a poor player, just that maybe we’re looking at the wrong one
For a DM to have worst defensive stats that a creative one is odd
Since you addressed none of the points in my post you quoted I'll just add this.

I see this as a summer window of signing functional players. Players that can bring the best out of what we already have, players that can add what we're missing. If they're affordable and seem likely to adapt quickly that ticks more boxes.

For me Hojbjerg ticks a lot more boxes than Ward Prowse. We have players of a similar mould to Ward Prowse in both Lo Celso and Winks even though there are obviously some standout areas where Ward Prowse is better.

We have no one in Hojbjerg's mould after Dier became a centre back. We use Sissoko repeatedly even though Mourinho said he's not playing him in his natural position. Because we don't have a player like Hojbjerg.

Back