• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer thread

Fans like @galeforce have actually convinced themselves that winning trophies isn’t important at the same time we’ve started to become rubbish at winning them. Hell of a coincidence. Things like the net spend league table and the calendar year table are far more important than trophies.

Winning the European Cup is important, anything that doesn’t move us closer to that is a waste of time.

Would have been interesting to see our transfer policy this summer if not for Covid.
Loss of 5 home games,
Rugby,
Boxing,
Gig,
Nfl

Plus decreased attendances next season.

Probably some other stuff I’ve missed.

Must make a reasonable dent on the income.

some of those things other clubs will have suffered with as well - concerts/rugby/home games - plus they wouldn’t have the CL payments and higher TV revs/higher ticket costs (games Played in front of crowd dependent)

let’s judge after the window and see how others spend

I’m confused, what more do you want them to do?

They’ve overseen a self sustaining rise from relegation possibles to CL probables in twenty years and built an incredible training centre and stadium along the way, who else has done that?

We have a solid platform for future success, you don’t build a house on sand.

I ask again, if they sell up what do you think happens next, which business that could afford us would run things differently?
'Get the cheque book out'

Bournemouth not quite gone yet, but I would still be getting on the phone to David Brooks' agent. Would love to see a Warringtonian playing for Spurs.

Sadly if either of the Manchesters or Liverpool come-a-calling we are out of the running
They won’t go for him
He is under rated

A competition we have never won in our entire history. Why is it the rest of the big 6 can compete for and win the big trophies AND the FA cup and league cup but we can’t or shouldn’t?

Winning the European Cup is the point of football.

City do because they can, they have infinite money, Liverpool routinely bin them, Arsenal have made no attempt at winning a big trophy for years. United and Chelsea have more money than us and get favourable refereeing decisions when it matters.

They're not 0 out of 10 - they would have been, if they'd taken money out of the club. At this time, they're probably a 5 out of 10 - 6, if you're being exceptionally generous, imo. Just average and somewhat pointless in most ways.

The players we actually signed? Depends on the window, really.

Summer 2010, January 2011 - 6.5 on 10. Some great hits like VDV and Sandro, a dependable free transfer in Gallas. However, critical investments in a powerful, line-leading striker were not made, and the Crouch/Defoe partnership dried up in effectiveness that year. Loss at end of window.

Summer 2011, January 2012 - 2.5 on 10. A couple of good deals in the summer in Adebayor and Parker, and then some utterly useless freebies in Saha and Nelsen when a little bit of investment in quality would have pushed us over the line in January 2012. Major profit at end of window.

Summer 2012 - January 2013. 5 out of 10 - a mixed bag. Some long-term successes in Lloris and Dembele, but missed out on the players AVB desperately wanted because Levy cheaped out (Moutinho, Hulk), and their replacements (Sigurdsson, Dempsey) were inadequate and quickly moved on. Minor profit at end of window.

Summer 2013 - January 2014. 3.5 out of 10. The only one of the Fab Seven AVB actually wanted as a first choice, as I recall, was Paulinho. Everyone else was a bit of a crap substitute for a player he actually wanted (Villa, Benteke, Hulk again, Witsel, etc.). And they failed accordingly - Eriksen and (perhaps) Lamela aside. Minor profit at end of window.

Summer 2014 - January 2015 - 1 out of 10. Sort of an early warning sign for Poch about how Levy would operate. He came in wanting Schneiderlin (who put in a transfer request and kicked up a fuss to move to us), Jay Rodriguez and Hector Moreno. Got absolutely none of them, ended up with the useless bargain bin Stambouli and Fazio, who were both unceremoniously booted out after a year. Minor profit at end of window.

Summer 2015 - January 2016. 7.5 out of 10. Probably Levy's best transfer window, and his ideal - ended up making a profit on it at the end. bought in Son, Toby, Trippier and Wimmer - the former three would prove crucial cogs in Poch's best sides in the coming years. Lost out on a number of other first choices (Berahino chief among them, but whatever). Minor profit at end of window.

Summer 2016 - January 2017 - 4 out of 10. Pretty sub-par windows. Bought Wanyama, which was great - lost out on Mane and Wijnaldum, and ended up with a panic buy in Sissoko, which was not. Cheaped out on our striker targets, ended up with Janssen. Loss at end of window.

Summer 2017 - January 2018. 3.5 out of 10 - Beginning of the end. A great buy in Sanchez, overshadowed by the loss of Walker and replacement with Aurier. Good pickup of Llorente, marred by the bargain bin pickup of N'Koudou instead of a proper winger. Got Lucas to compensate in January, but the damage at the start of the season had been done. Minor profit at end of window.

Summer 2018 - January 2019 - 0 out of 10 - if it made sense to give this window a negative, I would. A cowardly dereliction of duty, self-sabotage of the highest order by our penny-pinching, risk-averse leader. Signed no one, and we are still paying for it now. Minor profit at end of window - obviously.

Summer 2019 - January 2020. 5 out of 10. Tried to make up for years of underinvestment, bought a great player in Lo Celso, two unknowns in Bergwijn and Sessegnon, and a struggling, increasingly at-risk player in Ndombele. Major loss at end of window - probably the first one in ten years.
I don't really see the point of going over and over players we didn't sign. All clubs have plenty of those.

You seem to evaluate us as a bit worse than average. I think a bit better than that, around average. Which over a large sample size is about what can be reasonably be expected.

Fans like @galeforce have actually convinced themselves that winning trophies isn’t important at the same time we’ve started to become rubbish at winning them. Hell of a coincidence. Things like the net spend league table and the calendar year table are far more important than trophies.
Not sure if serious.

What I'm seeing is the acceptance of just how difficult it is to win things in the age of the superclubs, financially doped and economic polarisation.

I'll add to that that it takes a bit of luck to win.

We all want trophies, we'd all celebrate just as hard. But judging our club, with the starting point we had when Enic took over on trophies is imo harsh.

Perhaps if more people would just vent frustration on here that would show that we care?

Started...?
I'm nearly 40 and Spurs have won two trophies in my life.

I'd go for Ienacho as 2nd Striker, he is a very good and scores goals coming off the bench for a brick Leicester side

Winning the European Cup is the point of football.

City do because they can, they have infinite money, Liverpool routinely bin them, Arsenal have made no attempt at winning a big trophy for years. United and Chelsea have more money than us and get favourable refereeing decisions when it matters.

We’re not as rich as the rest of the big 6 but we’re not Bournemouth either. We’ve had the players and the resources to give them all a good crack.

Not sure if serious.

What I'm seeing is the acceptance of just how difficult it is to win things in the age of the superclubs, financially doped and economic polarisation.

I'll add to that that it takes a bit of luck to win.

We all want trophies, we'd all celebrate just as hard. But judging our club, with the starting point we had when Enic took over on trophies is imo harsh.

Perhaps if more people would just vent frustration on here that would show that we care?

ENIC deserve huge credit for their work but we would all credit them if we had won trophies and rightfully so. It’s not being harsh to point out they have done well but in the trophy department we haven’t done so well. People would have fallen over themselves to credit ENIC had we won the CL.

You’re obviously right about the fact that we would all celebrate trophies when and if they come but some fans pretend they aren’t important just because we’ve had a lean trophy spell. I don’t think that’s a coincidence. Just like Liverpool fans have stopped talking about net spend tables.

ENIC deserve huge credit for their work but we would all credit them if we had won trophies and rightfully so. It’s not being harsh to point out they have done well but in the trophy department we haven’t done so well. People would have fallen over themselves to credit ENIC had we won the CL.

You’re obviously right about the fact that we would all celebrate trophies when and if they come but some fans pretend they aren’t important just because we’ve had a lean trophy spell. I don’t think that’s a coincidence. Just like Liverpool fans have stopped talking about net spend tables.
Sorry but if we win the CL fans would have credited Poch and him alone
The way we got there was all about the way had dud things and everyone could see it

Back