• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer thread

We've had a good window. Ally Gold has said that we'd be back in January for Skriniar if it doesn't happen today. I'd rather we signed the right players than panicked into signing someone who doesn't fit with our medium term plans
Absolutely this.

Levy, Mourinho, Mendes and Hitchen/scouting team.

We've spent money, but we've not paid ridiculous amounts for anyone. Not sure what the estimated total spend is now, but to get potentially 4 upgrades in the starting 11 (Doherty, Reguilon, Hojbjerg, Bale) + a backup striker and a backup keeper for that amount is great work. A fairly similar amount to what we (and others) have paid for a single player before. To have several of those signings fit in so quickly (so far at least) as well is rather astonishing.

FTFY :)

think he has. He’s not willing to take a cut in wages.
Which is fair
I’ve always got the impression he has an agent who doesn’t advise him very well. It’s of course his contractual right to sit out the season and take the cash but given his personal history, if Levy doesn’t blink he might find the emotional impact of being ostracised form the squad is worse than taking a pay cut.

I’ve always got the impression he has an agent who doesn’t advise him very well. It’s of course his contractual right to sit out the season and take the cash but given his personal history, if Levy doesn’t blink he might find the emotional impact of being ostracised form the squad is worse than taking a pay cut.

They will either pay him off as suggested above of just put him on gardening leave

We've had a good window. Ally Gold has said that we'd be back in January for Skriniar if it doesn't happen today. I'd rather we signed the right players than panicked into signing someone who doesn't fit with our medium term plans
Yea absolutely! It’s disappointing that the player we seemingly want, Skriniar, doesn’t look like happening today. Not suggesting we should go out and get someone for the sake of it.

Levy, Mourinho and Hitchen/scouting team.

We've spent money, but we've not paid ridiculous amounts for anyone. Not sure what the estimated total spend is now, but to get potentially 4 upgrades in the starting 11 (Doherty, Reguilon, Hojbjerg, Bale) + a backup striker and a backup keeper for that amount is great work. A fairly similar amount to what we (and others) have paid for a single player before. To have several of those signings fit in so quickly (so far at least) as well is rather astonishing.
It's almost like Levy has done the checkbook spending Jose requires, but instead of spending large amounts, he's worked hard/clever to get the sort of players who should have easily cost a lot more.

It's almost like Levy has done the checkbook spending Jose requires, but instead of spending large amounts, he's worked hard/clever to get the sort of players who should have easily cost a lot more.

People drastically underestimate how well our club is ..

Part of my point is that this is also down to Mourinho (and Hitchen). It's all well and good to identify a player that would be perfect, but is almost impossible to get. Or identify three perfect players for three different positions where our financial situation would only allow us to sign one of them.

Mourinho in collaboration with Hitchen, the scouts etc, has been able to identify affordable options that would none the less be solid upgrades. Allowing Levy to do his thing.

They will either pay him off as suggested above of just put him on gardening leave
I don’t see Levy paying him off tbh, although he does seem to have had a personality transplant i this transfer window. What I’m suggesting is it won’t be good for Danny if he makes the wages a priority, he needs to be part of a team, feel wanted and ideally playing for his mental health imo.

Part of my point is that this is also down to Mourinho (and Hitchen). It's all well and good to identify a player that would be perfect, but is almost impossible to get. Or identify three perfect players for three different positions where our financial situation would only allow us to sign one of them.

Mourinho in collaboration with Hitchen, the scouts etc, has been able to identify affordable options that would none the less be solid upgrades. Allowing Levy to do his thing.
Oh I agree, but Levy put them there. This is the culmination of his dream to give us the best training ground, best stadium, best backroom staff, best manager, and the ability to compete with the biggest clubs to buy the best players. The final piece of the jigsaw is to win silverware.

I don’t see Levy paying him off tbh, although he does seem to have had a personality transplant i this transfer window. What I’m suggesting is it won’t be good for Danny if he makes the wages a priority, he needs to be part of a team, feel wanted and ideally playing for his mental health imo.

I can. If we need to pay up 50% of his salary to get him a move, it could present good value

Levy, Mourinho and Hitchen/scouting team.

Absolutely.

Regarding players hitting the ground running, I've wondered for years why it takes so long for our players to bed in. Sure, some players had an immediate impact under Poch, e.g. Bergwijn's debut, but they've usually tailed off quickly and only re-appeared some time later. Until the current batch, which of our players have been notable for slotting right in? Dele Alli, of course, but has there really been anyone else since VdV? Even Sonny took a while to get up to speed. I'm not counting Tanganga as he'll have had plenty of exposure to the rest of the squad on the training ground.

Was it poor/incomplete scouting? Simply buying players who weren't a good fit? Inexperience must play a part -- we'd take a chance on Janssen or N'k-whatever, whereas Chelsea and Emirates Marketing Project would spend serious money on nailed-on star players.

Or maybe Poch's system was very difficult to grasp. Perhaps (and I realise this may be heresy) he was just rubbish at integrating players on the pitch.

Maybe Mourinho is just really good at giving players clear instructions. Or maybe he just knows what he wants and has proved better at getting it -- whether it's convincing Levy to open the chequebook, or the Mendes factor, or just having an eye for it.

So far, it looks like Hojbjerg and Reguilon have slotted right in, although it's still early days. Good signs from Doherty too.

Last edited:
Hopefully, Danny can also see the light of getting the manager his players quickly rather than going for a flush on the last minute of every window.

Back