• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer thread

What do people think our long term goalkeeping plans are or should be? Lloris looked better under Mourinho and maybe just needed a settled defence behind him and will hopefully be even better with our new Dane. He's 34 in December so around his prime now but I'd say in a couple of seasons he'd need replacing or less if his form drops off. I think the Euros will focus him this season.

I ask because Butland is apparently available for £8-£10m (https://www.skysports.com/transfer/...stoke-prepared-to-accept-8-10m-for-goalkeeper) - a couple of seasons ago he was really good and is only 27 now. A good price, good player and also English. I'd say it's potentially a year too early for the signing myself but perhaps he could be backup for the cup competitions initially though can imagine he'll want to be first choice and push to be in the Euro's squad.
Two year succession planning for goalkeepers is a very difficult task. Perhaps a young goalkeeper we could send on a loan somewhere, but I think that money would be better spent elsewhere.

Sure Butland could fulfil his potential, but I doubt he'll do that sitting on our bench. So most likely we would just be stuck with the same problem a year from now and two years from now.

Whenever the club thinks there's a year left in Lloris we could try. Give games to two keepers and let the new player settle in. If the right signing is available at that time.

If not, just spend the money in that area when the time comes, and hopefully have fewer needs elsewhere at that time but doing good work up until that time.

Whats Butland like nowadays? Still only 27 and only a year left on his contract. Could cost £8m apparently.

There was a point a couple years ago after Hart nosedived when Butland seemed the best of the bunch. He has really fallen down the pecking order lately though

I haven't seen him play for a while but £8m sounds like a decent deal. That said, whilst I'd like us to sign an English back-up keeper this summer, I'm not sure that we have £8m to spend on it given other priorities

There was a point a couple years ago after Hart nosedived when Butland seemed the best of the bunch. He has really fallen down the pecking order lately though
Stoke are a mess TBF
My issue though is that keepers are hardest to get back on track as we have seen before with some really good ones collapsing

He always looks a bit heavy to me, but some of the best keepers have been bulky.
I was a big fan of Butlands when he was in the Prem and thought he’d be England’s first choice for a while.
Was surprised he stayed at Stoke went they went down, not sure if that was due to a lack of suitors, loyalty or lack of ambition. I know he had a bad run of mistakes at some point but the media coverage is so much less in the lower leagues so couldn’t say how bad they actually were.

I’d take a punt as I think a change of scene could revitalize him and his stock isn’t high enough for him to expect to come straight in as a number one.

He always looks a bit heavy to me, but some of the best keepers have been bulky.
My first thoughts when I read that, except the "best" bit, was Southall and Shilton. Why England persisted with Shilton in goal for so long is beyond me! Towards the end of his England career, his feet where still on the ground when he tried to jump!

My first thoughts when I read that, except the "best" bit, was Southall and Shilton. Why England persisted with Shilton in goal for so long is beyond me! Towards the end of his England career, his feet where still on the ground when he tried to jump!

When we became the only non league team to win the FA cup in the professional era the Sheffield Utd keeper was 22st I think he was called "Fatty" Foulkes.

Keepers shapes and sizes have changed dramatically since I started watching in the 50's many keepers were under 6ft and stocky. Game had a lot more physical contact and keepers use to come out and catch crosses while being barged, instead of being trapped in the 6 yard box or on the line. In most modern sports players have got a lot taller and stronger.

Back