• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer speculation

I dont have a problem with Barkley, but an attacked who can play CF and has some pace is a higher priority, as is another top class CB

If Barclay is gettable for a reasonable sum, I would like us to sign him. Why? He is young, English and Premiership tested. His stats are good re assists and chances created. He delivers a wicked free-kick and corner. He can see and pick a pass. There are not many players of this ilk and he will offer genuine competition to Eriksen.This season he appears to have added workrate to his game. Yes, I can certainly see why Poch might be interested. Lots of raw material to work with and a zillion times more what we need than Sissoko.
Were Everton linked to Sissoko before we got him? Maybe a part exchange on the cards.

Are you still totally against us signing Zaha? I remember you said he dribbles too much. Personally I think he would be an excellent signing
Yes. He will dribble and dance and hack and slice, meanwhile our thoroughbreds will be waiting in space thinking 'er.... pass me the ball'

We don't need that type of player imo

Bottom line if Poch does not want him he will not make a bid, if he does he probabl
Yes. He will dribble and dance and hack and slice, meanwhile our thoroughbreds will be waiting in space thinking 'er.... pass me the ball'

We don't need that type of player imo

I get the impression you have not seen a lot of him recently

Its not obvious to me that Zaha is much better than Shooty McShooterson (aka Andros Townsend). I can't see him being our first choice 11 and I think we could get better for the £30m - £40m that he'd cost.

How about Yannick Carasco? Plays in a similar position, similar age, adds to our Dutch contingent but much higher quality than Zaha if you ask me and I think we'd have a pretty decent chance of getting him if we offered Athletico the sort of money which we'd need to pay for Zaha.

Need to add some quality depth so that we can complete in the CL next year. How about this for a window:

In:
CF (young, pacey) - £15m
Carasco - £30m
A young CM - £15m
A decent CB - £20m

Out:
Bentaleb - £16m
Sissoko - £20m
Njie - £10m
GKN - £10m (I like him but we would have Dele, Eriksen, Lamela, Carasco, Son and Edwards for the 3 positions behind the CF)
Fazio - £4m
Vorm - free

Net spend: £20m

Its not obvious to me that Zaha is much better than Shooty McShooterson (aka Andros Townsend). I can't see him being our first choice 11 and I think we could get better for the £30m - £40m that he'd cost.

How about Yannick Carasco? Plays in a similar position, similar age, adds to our Dutch contingent but much higher quality than Zaha if you ask me and I think we'd have a pretty decent chance of getting him if we offered Athletico the sort of money which we'd need to pay for Zaha.

Need to add some quality depth so that we can complete in the CL next year. How about this for a window:

In:
CF (young, pacey) - £15m
Carasco - £30m
A young CM - £15m
A decent CB - £20m

Out:
Bentaleb - £16m
Sissoko - £20m
Njie - £10m
GKN - £10m (I like him but we would have Dele, Eriksen, Lamela, Carasco, Son and Edwards for the 3 positions behind the CF)
Fazio - £4m
Vorm - free

Logic is fine but who are the players you mean to buy??

A player I'd like us to go for is Lacazette who would be £40m I guess

He has everything to succeed here and is not being mentioned as much due to the lad form Monaco taking over

Logic is fine but who are the players you mean to buy??

A player I'd like us to go for is Lacazette who would be £40m I guess

He has everything to succeed here and is not being mentioned as much due to the lad form Monaco taking over

I can't provide you all the names as I'm not a full-time football scout, nor have a scouting team working for me!

I can't provide you all the names as I'm not a full-time football scout, nor have a scouting team working for me!

That's it though

We're all keen to suggest where we need to replace and I get that.

But in reality we should only strengthen with players who will actually work and strengthen what is a formidable squad

It has to be top drawer players now as we're that good. Not gambles like NKdou and njie

Bottom line if Poch does not want him he will not make a bid, if he does he probabl

I get the impression you have not seen a lot of him recently

I watched him for 90 minutes today and he was rubbish. Some of his fudgeups were something else.

That's it though

We're all keen to suggest where we need to replace and I get that.

But in reality we should only strengthen with players who will actually work and strengthen what is a formidable squad

It has to be top drawer players now as we're that good. Not gambles like NKdou and njie

Very hard to do with the level we're at and our available finances.

I think we're going to have to rely on Alli / Dier / Janssen type signings for the time being.

In:
CF (young, pacey) - £15m
Carasco - £30m
A young CM - £15m
A decent CB - £20m

CF - where would we play him? Janssen is our backup physical striker, and Son fills the role of a backup 'pacy' striker. One would have to leave if we're going down this route.

Carrasco - sure, but that assumes that we're sticking with the 4-2-3-1 for next season and need a winger to fit that system. If we're going 3-4-2-1, we don't need a winger, and already have (again) Son + Lamela who can act as out and out pacy wingers/inside forwards in a pinch - plus possibly Gorgeous George.

CM - agreed, although important that this young CM ticks a *lot* of boxes in terms of being a rotation option for Dembele alongside Winks, imo - he needs to be physically powerful, tall, have great dribbling skills, decent defensive instincts and abilities, a great engine...basically the ideal Dembele replacement, since we already have a considerably different type of option there in Winks who we can use to change the game up if necessary. That will cost a lot - maybe a lot more than 15m.

CB - entirely agreed - needs to be adept at long passing and be a decent blend of pace and physicality. Maybe Stefan De Vrij, of Lazio? Heading into the last year of his contract there, iirc, and very highly rated as cool, commanding CB (possible injury issues aside). Or Michael Keane of Burnley, although I'm not sure if a) he has the technique we need, and b) if he'd come to only be a (frequent) rotation and depth option at first.

Personally I think we'll need two CBs, not one, because I'm assuming Wimmer's on his way out and we've settled on a) a three-man back line, and b) Davies as a backup to Rose, not as an auxiliary centre-back. That leaves us with the first three of Dier, Toby and Verts, and then just CCV as our backup - so two CBs would round out the team in that respect. Terence Kongolo from Feyenoord interests me, being a young CB entering the last year of his contract with Feyenoord, and a physical, pacy sort with (apparently) a good work ethic, a quiet nature and an ability to dribble, pass and cross so well that he's been used more at LB than he has at CB this season - which is another plus, because in the event of Rose being injured and Davies not cutting it against the very top sides, we'll have another option if we bring him in (although being from the Eredivisie, there will be some settling-in issues, probably). Other than him, De Vrij or Keane would suit me fine, or someone of that type. A summer where we sign Pau/ a GK to replace Vorm (who's surely leaving), two CBs and a CM to provide cover and competition for Dembele alongside Winks would be perfect in my book.

Last edited:

In:
CF (young, pacey) - £15m
Carasco - £30m
A young CM - £15m
A decent CB - £20m

Out:
Bentaleb - £16m
Sissoko - £20m
Njie - £10m
Fazio - £4m
Vorm - free

These things look good when you write them, but in the real world almost impossible to do, particularly decent CB at 20m

These things look good when you write them, but in the real world almost impossible to do, particularly decent CB at 20m

I don't really think so - as I said, you have to look for unique situations to exploit in terms of contracts running out in 2018 and so on, but thankfully there are a load of those this summer that we could exploit. Michael Keane's Burnley contract runs out in 2018. Stefan De Vrij's Lazio contract runs out in 2018. Terence Kongolo's Feyenoord contract runs out in 2018. One or more of those could definitely be had for 20-odd million, I feel.

Very hard to do with the level we're at and our available finances.

I think we're going to have to rely on Alli / Dier / Janssen type signings for the time being.

But we spent £60m this summer gone
We get more money from TV now and if it means with sales having a bet spend still of say £40m that's well within our finances

Don't forget we have sold fazio and Bentelab for an estimated £20m in January ish

Sell Njie and sissoko day and that's another £30m on top

That's £50m before we take into account our increased TV money and we will get money from champions league too

Back