• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer rumours - summer 2021 edition

Dybala strikes me as one of those players who's continually linked with moving away but actually never has any intention of going anywhere, just uses it to help in contract discussions - bit like with Ramos etc.
Will be too expensive for us I think.... We can’t be spending Dybala sort of money on our attack unless Son is being sold.

Pope or Henderson would be a great addition imo. What do we think of Dybala?

Not a priority and would take a big chunk of our budget,.

Henderson plus a top quality CB would solve a lot more problems than Dybala

Plus, if Bale pushes on, can't see Bale, Son, Kane and Dybala all playing (maybe if we are nuts)

Fans build themselves up on their false expectations every window only to start throwing darts at Levy because of those false expectations. ;)
My expectation is that we should be improving our team and squad every year.

Under normal circumstances I think that the aim should be to improve the first team by 2 players every year. Our problem was that we went a couple of years without doing so (and actually weakening it) We therefore have some catching up to do. Obviously I'd prefer us to try to do that in one go, but it is probably more sensible for us to do it over two years, which would mean 3 or 4 this summer and then 3 or 4 next summer. We do have the unfortunate situation now though of Aurier with only 1 year left and Son with 2 years left. If those players aren't going to sign new contracts then they also need to be moved on (which would add another one or two first team players to our needs).

What do you feel is achievable in terms of the number of incoming transfers for a club of our standing, supposedly in the top 10 clubs for turnover in the World?

Last edited:
My expectation is that we should be improving our team and squad every year.

Under normal circumstances I think that the aim should be to improve the first team by 2 players every year. Our problem was that we went a couple of years without doing so (and actually weakening it) We therefore have some catching up to do. Obviously I'd prefer us to try to do that in one go, but it is probably more sensible for us to do it over two years, which would mean 3 or 4 this summer and then 3 or 4 next summer.

What do you feel is achievable in terms of the number of incoming transfers for a club of our standing, supposedly in the top 10 clubs for turnover in the World?

I do not totally disagree with your point mate but i keep reading from others that we will need to bring in six or seven players and IMO that is not going to happen. Now i know all of us fans think its should be easy to sign players and numbers should not be a problem, but in all reality that is just no true.

I have said else where i believe a goalkeeper and another CB should be a priority before we start looking elsewhere at other positions, now because of Lloris decline we need a new number one ( not some young kid we can phase in) so that is going to cost us a good price. So if/when we bring those two players in we can then look at what else we may have in the kitty.

I do not have any ideas/guesses on what numbers a club of our standing should bring in, i leave that for others to speculate on as they can then be disapointed when the numbers do not match their expectations. Its like hitting yourself over the head with a hammer when they do that.

I do not totally disagree with your point mate but i keep reading from others that we will need to bring in six or seven players and IMO that is not going to happen. Now i know all of us fans think its should be easy to sign players and numbers should not be a problem, but in all reality that is just no true.

I have said else where i believe a goalkeeper and another CB should be a priority before we start looking elsewhere at other positions, now because of Lloris decline we need a new number one ( not some young kid we can phase in) so that is going to cost us a good price. So if/when we bring those two players in we can then look at what else we may have in the kitty.

I do not have any ideas/guesses on what numbers a club of our standing should bring in, i leave that for others to speculate on as they can then be disapointed when the numbers do not match their expectations. Its like hitting yourself over the head with a hammer when they do that.
We managed 7 last summer (probably a more difficult window than this summer will be). 4 that we paid fees for, 1 freebie and 2 loans. We did all of that business in the window as well. We would do well to try to get a couple of freebies arranged now on pre-contract deals, which would give us a whole summer to try to get 3 or 4 deals over the line. As I'm sure you and many others are getting bored of me saying, this is why I am so frustrated that we don't have a DoF at the club.

We managed 7 last summer (probably a more difficult window than this summer will be). 4 that we paid fees for, 1 freebie and 2 loans. We did all of that business in the window as well. We would do well to try to get a couple of freebies arranged now on pre-contract deals, which would give us a whole summer to try to get 3 or 4 deals over the line. As I'm sure you and many others are getting bored of me saying, this is why I am so frustrated that we don't have a DoF at the club.

Again i do not disagree with most of that, i guess we will see but i will not build myself up with expectation on how many because as i have said before that way leads to mostly sadness.

Again i do not disagree with most of that, i guess we will see but i will not build myself up with expectation on how many because as i have said before that way leads to mostly sadness.
Optimists and pessimists get exactly the same outcome mate.... The optimists just have a happier time getting there! ;)

Why do you think this summer will be easier than last summer?
I suspect this summer will be the most difficult transfer window ever. Not from a point of view of buying players but from selling them.
If we can't offload players then there's not going to be a lot of incoming players.

I suspect this summer will be the most difficult transfer window ever. Not from a point of view of buying players but from selling them.
If we can't offload players then there's not going to be a lot of incoming players.
And an international comp to factor in
But at least this summer should be the normal duration.

The only good part of this summer should be the club will have line of sight to revenue streams again.

By August we hopefully will know enough to make informed financial decisions

We need to get past that. We are (or should be) a net buyer of players and therefore the situation is to our advantage. Of course we are likely to have to accept lower fees for our outgoing players or even pay them off to help facilitate deals. Contrary to some of the opinion on here players very, very rarely want to stick around when they know they're not wanted. What they won't do though is make themselves worse off financially (and why should they?).

There are clubs all over Europe that have been absolutely financially decimated by the last year. French clubs for example will need to shed players just to reduce their wage bills. We can take advantage of that. The vaccine rollout is also likely to mean that we're back in stadiums properly next season so we'll also have a much better idea of our forecast revenue.

We could massively benefit from some owner investment right now (or if they haven't got the capital then the owners diluting their stake and allowing investment of transfer capital for equity n the club). Unfortunately even an optimist like me doesn't see any chance of that with our owners.

We need to get past that. We are (or should be) a net buyer of players and therefore the situation is to our advantage. Of course we are likely to have to accept lower fees for our outgoing players or even pay them off to help facilitate deals. Contrary to some of the opinion on here players very, very rarely want to stick around when they know they're not wanted. What they won't do though is make themselves worse off financially (and why should they?).

There are clubs all over Europe that have been absolutely financially decimated by the last year. French clubs for example will need to shed players just to reduce their wage bills. We can take advantage of that. The vaccine rollout is also likely to mean that we're back in stadiums properly next season so we'll also have a much better idea of our forecast revenue.

We could massively benefit from some owner investment right now (or if they haven't got the capital then the owners diluting their stake and allowing investment of transfer capital for equity n the club). Unfortunately even an optimist like me doesn't see any chance of that with our owners.
That's all good if there are buyers for the players we're trying to offload. Most clubs won't be buying lower fees or not.
It's more likely that it will be loan deals mostly done. As @StephenH already mentioned, the impact of Covid is being underestimated.

Back