• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer rumours - summer 2021 edition

Eriksen was a Poch favorite, I highly doubt Poch was interested in selling/replacing him, the club probably backed the manager there vs. reducing the risk of what eventually happened.
Poch knew that Eriksen was going to go overseas and wanted Grealish in a year earlier to gradually take over.

We reportedly wanted around 120m for an Eriksen with 2 years remaining on his contract. If instead we had asked for something a little bit more reasonable in the 50m-60m range in the summer of 2018 (so while he was still in excellent form and his professional reputation was at its highest) we may well have gotten a taker at that price and then been able to reinvest that money into a squad that had begun to go stale.
The club will be in a similar position with Son this summer I think. He will have two years left at that point and I doubt he will be too interested in extending his contract (putting myself in Son's shoes I probably wouldn't be staying). Our chairman may have to try to get the best possible fee for Son this summer or accept that a potential £60+ million will dwindle very fast beyond that point.

Poch knew that Eriksen was going to go overseas and wanted Grealish in a year earlier to gradually take over.
Posh wasn’t clear whether Eriksen would stay
He met him in Denmark didnt he the same summer we bid for Grealish?
And TBF everything I’ve heard or read was that he wanted grealsish to overlap with Eriksen

I hear that and that is where a great chairman or DoF earns their coin. They are the ones with the wider view of the club finances and contract situations and ultimately that buck stops with them and they are the one who needs to make those tough decisions.

Or you make the decision that backing the manager is priority #1 ? we got what 7 years out of Eriksen from a what £14M acquisition price, sold for £20. Sure we could have done better but it really wasn't a bad deal.

Personally I think you can look at our transfers pre main stadium work and post main stadium work and there is definitely a trend of that middle period being less productive for us, including managing the existing player contracts, opinion? Levy was too pre-occupied with the stadium and took his eye off it.

The club will be in a similar position with Son this summer I think. He will have two years left at that point and I doubt he will be too interested in extending his contract (putting myself in Son's shoes I probably wouldn't be staying). Our chairman may have to try to get the best possible fee for Son this summer or accept that a potential £60+ million will dwindle very fast beyond that point.
I'm in 100% agreement. It's either get that extension signed and I can see why it will be difficult to do so. Or sell at the opportune time and reinvest the funds raised back onto the squad.

It's a fairly simple dynamic that if you want to sell something you price it as such to attract purchasers.

Or you make the decision that backing the manager is priority #1 ? we got what 7 years out of Eriksen from a what £14M acquisition price, sold for £20. Sure we could have done better but it really wasn't a bad deal.

Personally I think you can look at our transfers pre main stadium work and post main stadium work and there is definitely a trend of that middle period being less productive for us, including managing the existing player contracts, opinion? Levy was too pre-occupied with the stadium and took his eye off it.

You back your manager by giving them the best tools for the job. Letting the squad go stale is not backing the manager.

If the stadium build was arduous on transfer capability then what a smart DoF does is look for value in the squad and see how they can generate funds especially when said squad is starting to moulder. In this case we had Christian Eriksen who was in no rush to sign a contract extension with 2 years remaining on his contract. A high profile player who at the time potentially could generate a lot of buying interest and subsequently decent prices. You get him to sign or you sell and reinvest, it's that simple.

You back your manager by giving them the best tools for the job. Letting the squad go stale is not backing the manager.

If the stadium build was arduous on transfer capability then what a smart DoF does is look for value in the squad and see how they can generate funds especially when said squad is starting to moulder. In this case we had Christian Eriksen who was in no rush to sign a contract extension with 2 years remaining on his contract. A high profile player who at the time potentially could generate a lot of buying interest and subsequently decent prices. You get him to sign or you sell and reinvest, it's that simple.

Not disagreeing mate, just it really doesn't always just work out like that (I think we fudged up with Eriksen, but partially because he like Rose & Toby had delusions about how much interest there was from "certain" clubs).

Poch wanted him, Poch had a very poor record of players settling in immediately (took half to full season) and Eriksen type players were few and far between. Our choices were
- Sell him (perhaps at risk of annoying manager), buy a replacement that might not work out or take 12 months to fit in
- Keep him longer (taking a risk), hope you can persuade him to stay in the long run, perhaps with plan of developing a replacement from a younger player

We took a risk, it didn't pay off ..

Alternate history, we sold him, his replacement doesn't work out, 90% of this board would be up in arms of how Levy undercut Poch ..

(as well as having Grealish available on day 1 of the transfer window that same summer, who the manager very much wanted, available at under £25m for example).

Do the deal, don't fcuk around.

Not disagreeing mate, just it really doesn't always just work out like that (I think we fudged up with Eriksen, but partially because he like Rose & Toby had delusions about how much interest there was from "certain" clubs).

Poch wanted him, Poch had a very poor record of players settling in immediately (took half to full season) and Eriksen type players were few and far between. Our choices were
- Sell him (perhaps at risk of annoying manager), buy a replacement that might not work out or take 12 months to fit in
- Keep him longer (taking a risk), hope you can persuade him to stay in the long run, perhaps with plan of developing a replacement from a younger player

We took a risk, it didn't pay off ..

Alternate history, we sold him, his replacement doesn't work out, 90% of this board would be up in arms of how Levy undercut Poch ..
It's easy to test out the delusion.... Go to the player's agent and tell him that you will allow the player to go if a buying club meets our valuation of: £X. In Eriksen's case that was probably £60m to £70m two years before his contract ended and £35m to £40m one year before his contract ended. The agent can then go out and flush out the suitors. If the suitors aren't there then the player will be fully aware of that. When a club is asking for a very unrealistic fee then of course there won't be the suitors.

Of course
I’m not saying he shouldn’t have sold am I?
I’m saying we still have a player here who hasn’t left despite us wanting him out
We had huge problems shifting players be used ultimately there were no buying clubs interested in them... even eriksen became a problem as none of the big clubs he wanted, wanted him

And i am not sure how badly he wants out to be honest sat on his fat arse getting good money, there is also the story he is not willing to take a pay cut which could put a lot of clubs off.

(as well as having Grealish available on day 1 of the transfer window that same summer, who the manager very much wanted, available at under £25m for example).

Do the deal, don't fcuk around.

We have been through this brick before, a deal for 25 million was agreed between the two boards only for the new owners to say they would pull out of any deal if he( or any other player)was sold before they took charge. Once they did take over they wanted to double the price which HAD been agreed.

We have been through this brick before, a deal for 25 million was agreed between the two boards only for the new owners to say they would pull out of any deal if he( or any other player)was sold before they took charge. Once they did take over they wanted to double the price which HAD been agreed.
Yep... several weeks later... two weeks after Leicester signed Maddison (who they started talking to Norwich about after we started talking to Villa about Grealish). Amazing how Leicester can quickly sign a good player for a fair fee but we need to spend a month dilly dallying, making offers way under the (fair) price.

Last edited:
Yep... several weeks later... two weeks after Leicester signed Maddison (who they started talking to Norwich about after we started talking to Villa about Grealish).

So what point are you trying to make now? the Grealish deal ( which WAS agreed) had nothing to do with the Maddison move.:rolleyes:

So what point are you trying to make now? the Grealish deal ( which WAS agreed) had nothing to do with the Maddison move.:rolleyes:
We started to talk to Villa about Grealish as soon as they lost the play-off. They needed money, the price was £25m.

We spent several weeks messing around with silly low bids.

Leicester started talking to Norwich about Maddison in June and signed him for £24m on June 20th. We are still making lowball bids for Grealish.

Sawiris and Edens didn’t even talk about investing in Villa until July 11th (it was after the Eng v Croatia WC semi final).

We hear that Villa are getting a cash injection so finally bid the asking price in July. By then Villa no longer need the money so the new owners block the deal as they finalize their investment. We had about 6 weeks to do that deal. Leicester could get similar sized deal for Maddison over the line in 2 weeks.

Close to deadline day we then actually bid £35m for the player. Only Daniel Levy could think the same player is worth £35m on deadline day but not worth £25m on day 1 if the transfer window....

We started to talk to Villa about Grealish as soon as they lost the play-off. They needed money, the price was £25m.

Leicester started talking to Norwich about Maddison in June and signed him for £24m on June 20th. We are still making lowball bids for Grealish.

Sawiris and Edens didn’t even talk about investing in Villa until July 11th (it was after the Eng v Croatia WC semi final).

We hear that Villa are getting a cash injection so finally bid the asking price in July. By then Villa no longer need the money so the new owners block the deal as they finalize their investment. We had about 6 weeks to do that deal. Leicester could get similar sized deal for Maddison over the line in 2 weeks.

Close to deadline day we then actually bid £35m for the player. Only Daniel Levy could think the same player is worth £35m on deadline day but not worth £25m on day 1 if the transfer window....

You couldn't make it up. [emoji52]

Villa were looking for new owners since before the final they were in was played, we can go around the houses about this forever but the deal WAS agreed before the new owners took over and was going to happen. The NEW owners made demands that under no condition were any players to be sold until they were in charge and once they took over they wanted double what had been agreed. Levy was happy with the 25 million agreed ( and it was) but dropped out at paying double what the previous owners had agreed on.

But we have been over this on a couple of occasions so i doubt that will change.

Villa were looking for new owners since before the final they were in was played, we can go around the houses about this forever but the deal WAS agreed before the new owners took over and was going to happen. The NEW owners made demands that under no condition were any players to be sold until they were in charge and once they took over they wanted double what had been agreed. Levy was happy with the 25 million agreed ( and it was) but dropped out at paying double what the previous owners had agreed on.

But we have been over this on a couple of occasions so i doubt that will change.
Villa were indeed looking and had found none. July 11th was when Sawiris and Edens first spoke (to each other) about investing. Before that Xia was desperately trying to get money out of China to pay Villa’s HMRC bill. 3 weeks before that very first conversation about investing in Villa took place Leicester signed Maddison. How and why did Leicester sign him so swiftly? Should we look to Leicester for some tips on how to conclude business maybe?

Last edited:
Villa were indeed looking and had found none. July 11th was when Sawiris and Edens first spoke (to each other) about investing. Before that Xia was desperately trying to get money out of China. 3 weeks before that very first conversation about investing in Villa took place Leicester signed Maddison. How and why did Leicester sign him so swiftly? Should we look to Leicester for some tips on how to conclude business maybe?

You are talking about two different situations and diverting away from a point you tried to make last time we had this conversation. The deal WAS agreed and the ONLY reason it did not happen is because the new owners blocked it and then tried to double the AGREED fee. Talking about other deals between other teams is not really relevant to what arose between us and Villa.

Back