• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer rumours - summer 2021 edition

You knew the figure?
I never saw a figure quoted but do know they wanted him for free (I know someone close to their board/owners)
Fine then we should have let him go for free instead of continuing to pay his wages. Literally throwing good money after bad.

Fine then we should have let him go for free instead of continuing to pay his wages. non-figuratively throwing good money after bad.
Not disagreeing
Just think that what gets reported isn’t always true
I have no idea by the way if wanted £12m
I do know Saudi Sportswashing Machine wouldn’t pay for him whatever the fee was last season

A similar loan from our owners this Summer would mean that we could complete our rebuild quickly and be likely to cement ourselves in the CL again.

How likely is that to happen though?

Guess they might view it as a way to access the money champs league again. But you have to assume our debt is far greater then arsenal who would have been paying it down for 15 years.

You were talking about owner injecting money.... but I added they then chose to borrow again
So his cash injection was kinda balanced out

More or less the same thing I do with my credit cards
1. Work extra, beg, steal, nick money to pay off credit card balance
2 "ooh, look at that nice and shiny gadget"
3 blow limit on card on shiny gadget.
4 crap...
5 rinse and repeat.

Not disagreeing
Just think that what gets reported isn’t always true
I have no idea by the way if wanted £12m
I do know Saudi Sportswashing Machine wouldn’t pay for him whatever the fee was last season
On deadline day when there were pretty much no clubs interested in taking him on his wages the figure had gone down to £8 million.

How likely is that to happen though?

Guess they might view it as a way to access the money champs league again. But you have to assume our debt is far greater then arsenal who would have been paying it down for 15 years.
An interest free (or even low interest) loan from our owner just to inject cash (for transfers). He can get the money back whenever it is that he sells the club. Of course that assumes that our owner's main motivation in owning our club isn't generating as big a paper profit as possible.

You knew the figure?
I never saw a figure quoted but do know they wanted him for free (I know someone close to their board/owners)

But Levy could have asked for a small fee, say if they agreed on 2m and his wages are say 3m then that's 5m in total for someone who doesn't even train with the first team anymore.

An interest free (or even low interest) loan from our owner just to inject cash (for transfers). He can get the money back whenever it is that he sells the club. Of course that assumes that our owner's main motivation in owning our club isn't generating as big a paper profit as possible.

Didn't they do something like this before, I remember reading something about a £50m loan injection 2/3 years back.

But Levy could have asked for a small fee, say if they agreed on 2m and his wages are say 3m then that's 5m in total for someone who doesn't even train with the first team anymore.
It is why I am so in favour of a DoF coming in to take control of the buying and selling. It is (sort of) fine that Levy has a stipulation that we cannot sell for (paper) losses as he doesn't want to impact the value of assets that the club has on its books, just give that stipulation to the DoF and also give them their entire budget and let them work as they (and the manager) see fit within that budget. We would be FAR better off for it IMO.

Of course
I’m not saying he shouldn’t have sold am I?
I’m saying we still have a player here who hasn’t left despite us wanting him out
We had huge problems shifting players be used ultimately there were no buying clubs interested in them... even eriksen became a problem as none of the big clubs he wanted, wanted him

There still in debt
Owner puts money in.., good
Then borrows money again .., bad
The owner putting money in didn't lower their debt position. It just transferred their existing debt from high interest, high reserve capital debt to low interest, zero reserve capital debt. Like us Arsenal then took advantage of their credit risk status to borrow further funds on favourable terms with the BoE.

Of course
I’m saying we still have a player here who hasn’t left despite us wanting him out
We had huge problems shifting players be used ultimately there were no buying clubs interested in them... even eriksen became a problem as none of the big clubs he wanted, wanted him
Most things have some sort of sale value. If they don't have a sale value then they can often be given away for nothing. If they cannot be given away for nothing then typically you have to pay somebody to take them away. They key is realising what the sale value is and, if no value, which of the other two categories the thing falls into.

I think we ended up being very lucky to get as much as we did for Eriksen with only 6 months left on his contract. If I had been the player's agent I would've advised my client to refuse that deal and instead tried to get him to sign a pre contract with Inter Milan adding at least half of that transfer fee onto the playing loyalty bonus attached to the contract (Inter and player both win, Spurs lose). Of course the right time for us to sell Eriksen was 6 months before then (or actually 18 months before then but that's another story) but word on the street was that Levy was still looking for big money for the player with a year left on his contract. It makes it very hard for a manager to plan when this sort of thing is happening behind the scenes. Having Levy instead of a DoF hinders our squad building massively IMO.

Of course
*No buying clubs were interested at the transfer cost level that we required.

Most things have some sort of sale value. If they don't have a sale value then they can often be given away for nothing. If they cannot be given away for nothing then typically you have to pay somebody to take them away. They key is realising what the sale value is and, if no value, which of the other two categories the thing falls into.

I think we ended up being very lucky to get as much as we did for Eriksen with only 6 months left on his contract. If I had been the player's agent I would've advised my client to refuse that deal and instead tried to get him to sign a pre contract with Inter Milan adding at least half of that transfer fee onto the playing loyalty bonus attached to the contract (Inter and player both win, Spurs lose). Of course the right time for us to sell Eriksen was 6 months before then (or actually 18 months before then but that's another story) but word on the street was that Levy was still looking for big money for the player with a year left on his contract. It makes it very hard for a manager to plan when this sort of thing is happening behind the scenes. Having Levy instead of a DoF hinders our squad building massively IMO.
We reportedly wanted around 120m for an Eriksen with 2 years remaining on his contract. If instead we had asked for something a little bit more reasonable in the 50m-60m range in the summer of 2018 (so while he was still in excellent form and his professional reputation was at its highest) we may well have gotten a taker at that price and then been able to reinvest that money into a squad that had begun to go stale.

We reportedly wanted around 120m for an Eriksen with 2 years remaining on his contract. If instead we had asked for something a little bit more reasonable in the 50m-60m range in the summer of 2018 (so while he was still in excellent form and his professional reputation was at its highest) we may well have gotten a taker at that price and then been able to reinvest that money into a squad that had begun to go stale.

Eriksen was a Poch favorite, I highly doubt Poch was interested in selling/replacing him, the club probably backed the manager there vs. reducing the risk of what eventually happened.

Eriksen was a Poch favorite, I highly doubt Poch was interested in selling/replacing him, the club probably backed the manager there vs. reducing the risk of what eventually happened.
I hear that and that is where a great chairman or DoF earns their coin. They are the ones with the wider view of the club finances and contract situations and ultimately that buck stops with them and they are the one who needs to make those tough decisions.

I think his wages may have had a big impact...
He is getting paid more now than Kane
That typically puts off a buying club as much as anything
When combined with a huge transfer fee that is absolutely the case. Therefore you have to adjust the transfer down accordingly. I can remember having a discussion on here with (I think Nayim) who was arguing that Eriksen should go for over £80 million, my argument was that he would probably go for around half of that due to his contract situation. Had Levy got realistic with a valuation then he could probably have realised that £40 million and gone out and got Pochettino his top target for the replacement in Bruno Fernandes. That is the sort of thing I'd expect a DoF to do.

When my Dad was representing players he used to love it if they got into the final 18 months of their contracts (unless they were a player on their way back down). At that point you have the club over a barrel.

Last edited:
Back