• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Rumour Thread

No different now than AVB's first January in terms of strengthening our position (and the noises that the 'coach was happy to continue without another striker'). We didn't have skills spread around the squad as we do now, but we WERE as effective as we are now...

AVB never had a side as effective or balanced as this. Throughout his time at the club we were reliant on stars, what did him was that two left and one retired in quick succession.

No they weren't. What AVB was saying publicly might have been on message but there were plenty of rumours about his dissatisfaction.

I'm happy to stand corrected, but i am sure that in the January 2013 window there weren't rumours that he was unhappy. Also, how do we know that later on there will not be rumours that Poch is unhappy with this window? After all he could also be 'on message' at the moment..

I agree that we are on the brink of something amazing, what I do not understand is why people think that we should abandon the plan that has got us there when we are so close? If Poch thinks that he needs signings with certain character traits to improve the squad, then you have to assume that those players were not available and that he thinks bring in players without those traits would be detrimental. What you are arguing for then is not a no risk strategy, in fact, you have to assume that our manager thinks that it is higher risk than what he has chosen to do.

I'm arguing for not selling two centre backs when we have no others left in the squad.

As for our plan...try to remember how lucky we've been with the likes of Kane, Dier and Ali. Kane only got a run because Soldado and Ade were so inept. No-one expected him to have the success he has, Levy must been frigging himself off at the money its saved him. Dier only got a crack at defensive midfield because we failed to sign our targets like Scheiderlin, Wanyama and no doubt others. That's a strange 'plan' if you ask me.

AVB never had a side as effective or balanced as this. Throughout his time at the club we were reliant on stars, what did him was that two left and one retired in quick succession.

Eh? Bale yes, but who was the other star who left and who retired? Are you sure you are not talking about Redknapp??
And AVB got our record points total in his first season and missed out on CL by a point, when almost any other time he'd have easily made it with the points he got..
Lacking balance? Hmm, debateble
Effective? Hell yes it was.

Eh? Bale yes, but who was the other star who left and who retired? Are you sure you are not talking about Redknapp??
And AVB got our record points total in his first season and missed out on CL by a point, when almost any other time he'd have easily made it with the points he got..
Lacking balance? Hmm, debateble
Effective? Hell yes it was.
think he meant king retired and vdv left as well

well on avb i have some genuine inside info that he had akin to a breakdown in his last month...now what lead to that breakdown i dont know.

I never liked his style of play but when I heard how he was acting I felt a bit sorry for him.

He's meant to be getting paid crazy money at Southampton. I know that the bongo brothers at West Ham are not the most reliable of sources but I am sure that one of them said that Austin was on £100k a week now.

That's a lot of money, but the fee was only £4million. £5 million a year wages, but a comparable signing would probably be on £40k per week (?), so £2million a year, a difference of £3million per year to CA wages. Say we kept him for 2 years, that's 6 million extra (to a comparable signing) and we could probably sell him for £4-5m and get the transfer fee back after a couple of years. In the meantime, he would have covered Kane adequately and maybe even got crucial goals from the bench, or in Kane's absence.

All ifs and buts, but my point is that his high wages would still have been decent value for us in the short-term, imo.

well on avb i have some genuine inside info that he had akin to a breakdown in his last month...now what lead to that breakdown i dont know.

I never liked his style of play but when I heard how he was acting I felt a bit sorry for him.

I believe that too...who knows if after this window and we miss out of top 4 (or the title by a few points:eek:) that the same wont happen to Poch?:D

if doing something amazing can be derailed by not signing one player then we were not on particularly sure footing to start with

we have a lot of talent right now, the plan is working (and it would never have included a deadline day splurge), lets stick with it
I like this post.

And it's not just signing one player but that one player is a backup as well. So what people are saying is that our season could be derailed by not signing a backup player.

And yes this may be true if we get a season ending injury to Kane. But then I think what is the likelihood of a club getting a 4 month injury to their main striker. In fact a 4 month injury to any player. I think it's more likely a player like Kane may be out for a month.

In the EPL this could be 4 games. We are 5 points clear of 5th so if we get a draw then Utd would require 3 straight wins and us having 3 straight defeats before they overtake us. And the likelihood of a swing like that in one month with the consistency we've shown as a team seems quite low to me.

Anyway I think I'm losing the plot. Not sure what my point is anymore. In Poch we trust I guess lol

Back