• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Rumour Thread

Michael Carrick / JonJo Shelvey

It was quite obvious last night that Bentaleb isnt the answer as the playmaker, he was scared to get on the ball and dominate, and if he cant do it against forest then... We've never replaced Modric, the deal with Joao Moutinho fell through which was terrible and since then we've not bought correctly in the midfield. I feel this urgently needs addressing in Jan. My main target would be Miralem Pjanić , the guy is top drawer and bloody Baldini has his number! Also, Moutinho isnt playing much at Monaco so perhaps we could go back in for him but i beleieve he's on more then 100k a week. :(

However, if we didnt want to spend big then if Michael Carrick was available in Jan for 8-10 million would you take back? I certainly would. Also, i think Jo Joe Shelby is really developing into a very good player, he's starting to run games, his passing range is good, and he can score goals. Would it be worth looking at him?

Last edited:
Re: Michael Carrick / JonJo Shelvey

No to both.

Rather that our youth players are given a chance.

Mason, Carroll, Bentaleb.

If we're going to sign players, they must be of the highest quality or have the clear potential to be so. Carrick and Shelvey are just so-so. We have enough such midfielders already.

No to both.

Rather that our youth players are given a chance.

Mason, Carroll, Bentaleb.

If we're going to sign players, they must be of the highest quality or have the clear potential to be so. Carrick and Shelvey are just so-so. We have enough such midfielders already.

Ok, but i think your missing the point. We dont have a quality 'creative/player maker' in the squad so we need to buy one.. We need to look further a field in my view.

Ok, but i think your missing the point. We dont have a quality 'creative/player maker' in the squad so we need to buy one.. We need to look further a field in my view.

I'd like to give Mason a chance to prove that he could be the quality creative player that we need but fair enough if you think that we need to look further afield.

However, I don't think I am missing the point at all. Your post suggested that we should go for one or both of Carrick and Shelvey. I merely replied that, if we must bring in yet another midfielder, he has to be clearly better than what we already have. And neither Carrick nor Shelvey would be that player.

Last edited:

It was quite obvious last night that Bentaleb isnt the answer as the playmaker, he was scared to get on the ball and dominate, and if he cant do it against forest then... We've never replaced Modric, the deal with Joao Moutinho fell through which was terrible and since then we've not bought correctly in the midfield. I feel this urgently needs addressing in Jan. My main target would be Miralem Pjanić , the guy is top drawer and bloody Baldini has his number! Also, Moutinho isnt playing much at Monaco so perhaps we could go back in for him but i beleieve he's on more then 100k a week. :(

However, if we didnt want to spend big then if Michael Carrick was available in Jan for 8-10 million would you take back? I certainly would. Also, i think Jo Joe Shelby is really developing into a very good player, he's starting to run games, his passing range is good, and he can score goals. Would it be worth looking at him?

Hang on a minute. Early in Carrick's career it was said he flattered to deceive. Now you want to rule out Bentaleb because of one performance under pressure in a new system, in his first home start of the season and based on appearances last season in a complete circus under Sherwood and then this season in about 2 games. The guy is 19 and he hasn't even played a full season.

Wow, i mean just wow. I hate football sometimes (but I love it).

Hang on a minute. Early in Carrick's career it was said he flattered to deceive. Now you want to rule out Bentaleb because of one performance under pressure in a new system, in his first home start of the season and based on appearances last season in a complete circus under Sherwood and then this season in about 2 games. The guy is 19 and he hasn't even played a full season.

Absolutely.

It's barely credible the stick that Bentaleb gets from some quarters.

As you say, he's only 19.

Ledley King had some stinkers at 19. Imagine if our crowd back in the late nineties / early noughties had been like it is now and had got on his back....

Just over half a season out of the youth acadamy and Bentalebs being written off - couldn't make it up!

No, just NO!

I like Shelvey, but I don't think he's what we need and / or better than what we have.

I like Shelvey, but I don't think he's what we need and / or better than what we have.

have you ever watched him not on highlights? He does do good things but from what I have seen (not many but from L'pool & Swansea fans opionon as well) he is a MOTD player - he will make good contribution but a lot of crap - would rather have kept Holtby.

30 mill for Schneiderlin.........also, 10 mill for Claise. Clear out Paulinho, Dembele, Capoue for a combined 25-35 mill . Job done. Schneiderlin, Stambouli, Claise, Bentaleb and mason

I would have Carrick back in place of Capoue all day long as I think Carrick is the master of playing that sort of role.... However I'm not sure that Carrick is player to play in the role you are earmarking him for. I think that player has to be quite mobile and really prepared to press. Ideally to play this role I think we would probably be looking at an Aaron Ramsey type and Shelvey is probably more the sort of player for that role I agree.

My thoughts are that, where you have written him off, Bentaleb is actually a player that could grow into this role.

However if you are looking for a 'gettable' player as an alternative then I think Delph at Villa probably has all of the attributes required - in that he is mobile, quite pacy, decent on the ball, likes to put in a tackle and really seems to have a certain confidence about him.

You obviously dont go to many games.. We've seen Bentaleb play for a good season now, he played alot of games under Sherwood last season and he's neither a holding player or creative midfielder. I personally think he's talented, poch has him in his second string and he's not making the league side at the moment but we need someone AHEAD of him NOW.

He would learn alot from the likes of Pjenic, Michael Carrick i'm telling you. We should be looking to bring more experience in there.

Bentalebs not supposed to be playmaker. If Poch was interested in a playmaker in his midfield he's be playing Carroll or Eriksen in there.
Benteleb however is a more creative player and much better at picking out passes than Capoue, Dembele, Paulinho and Mason.

I'd rather have Siggy back. He's running the show over at Swansea.

Bentalebs not supposed to be playmaker. If Poch was interested in a playmaker in his midfield he's be playing Carroll or Eriksen in there.
Benteleb however is a more creative player and much better at picking out passes than Capoue, Dembele, Paulinho and Mason.

I'm not sure that he's better at it than Mason.

Back