• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Predictions

Somewhere in between for me.

Don't want us paying over the odds, however our transfer team defines that. I want Levy to negotiate the best deal. I want us to try to get our primary targets accepting that it takes time and backup targets might thus come in later in the window, or if our primary targets want to wait for other options it might also mean delays.

"Paying over the odds" is quite an strange notion. There is no such thing as fair market price for footballers. A deal that is struck is the price two parties agree on - one a willing buyer and one a willing seller, taking into account all their own specific factors. Consequently, we should only pay what we consider the right price for us - regardless of other factors involved. If we do that, we can't be paying over the odds by definition.

Lets take the example of a perfect market. That is one that is an open auction, where everyone sees everyone else's bid. The winning bidder has just paid "over the odds" because it was more than anyone else was prepared to pay. So lets just concentrate on our own evaluation of players and if the other parties don't want to deal (or someone values the player more highly for their team) then unfortunately we must move on to other targets. The key, of course, is that Levy and his team get their evaluation of players for the upcoming Poch team/squad correct.

I'd be concerned if we didn't address our big weakness from last season (right back)

Our biggest weakness was CM, not RB.

Aurier staying fit, or Trippier refinding form coupled with a proper midfield would be absolutely fine.

Which is not to say we cannot improve RB, we clearly can - but its not our biggest issue.

Aurier staying fit, or Trippier refinding form coupled with a proper midfield would be absolutely fine.

Which is not to say we cannot improve RB, we clearly can - but its not our biggest issue.

Have to say I think Trippier cost us (off the top here) 12 points with stupid mistakes that cost us matches. I try to defend players but he was beyond my charity by the end. If he started the season for us I’d be alarmed.

I don’t think so.
You’d have...Ndombele, Winks, Sissoko, Dier, Wanyama and possibly Eriksen to play deeper too as an option. Skipp to keep developing.

I'm fairly confident Wanyama won't be here in August. Even when he was getting minutes towards the end of the season, he was visibly crippled afterwards (watch him suffering during the Amsterdam celebrations).

There's also the possibility of Dier moving back to CB if Alder leaves and we don't go for a specific replacement.

If you looked at every starting line-up last season, RB was our weakness.

We lacked depth in CM. But we have 3 quality players there (Winks, Dier, Sissoko). In contrast we have depth at RB, but no quality.

Have to say I think Trippier cost us (off the top here) 12 points with stupid mistakes that cost us matches. I try to defend players but he was beyond my charity by the end. If he started the season for us I’d be alarmed.

I dont think anyone will try and tell you he had a good season.

Doesnt mean he is a bad player though, does it?

Were he to refind his form, he would do.

Though, again, that is not to say we cant improve on him - RB is certainly one of the most easily upgradeable positions we have.

If you looked at every starting line-up last season, RB was our weakness.

We lacked depth in CM. But we have 3 quality players there (Winks, Dier, Sissoko). In contrast we have depth at RB, but no quality.

We had one quality player there at any given time, usually only half fit. We also had no balance and the entire team was bent out of shape because of it.

This had a profound effect on our play, attacking and defensive.

People like to single out RB as the sole issue, personally I thought (and maintain) CM was the real problem all year.

RB underperforming was just an easy thing to blame. Possibly, in part, a symptom of CM being as it was, more likely just Trippier crashing completely after the WC and Aurier seemingly being unavailable the whole season.

RB can be improved upon, I have never denied, but "fix" RB and start the same team and system as we did last season and we will still be a shadow of our former selves.

Conversely, fix CM and keep RB as it was and the team is improved dramatically.

I dont think anyone will try and tell you he had a good season.

Doesnt mean he is a bad player though, does it?

Were he to refind his form, he would do.

Though, again, that is not to say we cant improve on him - RB is certainly one of the most easily upgradeable positions we have.

Yes yes, all logical and correct. I simply don’t trust him anymore, let alone trust him to find form. The fact he played the whole CL final, and Dele was subbed, remains the only mistake that night for me...

Yes yes, all logical and correct. I simply don’t trust him anymore, let alone trust him to finf form. The fact he played the whole CL final, and Dele was subbed, remains the only mistake that night for me...

Fair enough. Its hardly like Im enthused at the idea of playing him, given how long it has been since he played well. Im just pointing out - he isnt a BAD player.

I also think, for those who keep promoting KWP as a regular RB - as bad as Trippier was he couldnt get a start ahead of him, and even had Foyth playing instead of him out of position. Probably shows what Poch thinks about him...

I like Aurier, cant help it, but he is also yet to really perform. Shown glimpses of quality but no consistency.

Of the three we have he is the best, IMO, which probably goes to show just how easily we can improve there. Basically any 2 of the three can leave, get another in and let them fight for the place. I like the look of Aarons, he and Aurier pushing for the spot would suit me.

Aurier is the kind of guy that conceded a penalty in one game, then is MoM next game.

Wanyama (and Lamela) cannot be counted on as “fit” players, when totting up humans likely to be available

At this stage I would take a solid RB that can just defend - anything else would be amazing.

Sort the RB out and If can get Ndombele over the line we have a seriously good team.

Yes yes, all logical and correct. I simply don’t trust him anymore, let alone trust him to find form. The fact he played the whole CL final, and Dele was subbed, remains the only mistake that night for me...

More importantly I dont think the players trust him, look how the CM/CB move the way over to cover that side a lot more.

Back