• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Policy

Again, I disagree. What we need is very different to what other clubs need. With the 25 man squad rule teams cannot just go for players for the sake of it. So why, if we are interested in someone, would the other big clubs automatically be as well?

And wages are comparitive, compared to Wigan, Swansea.. Even Villa and Everton we are very good paymasters. Why couldnt we entice players?

Its a simple premise, if there are good premiership players, available, in our price range - I think we should go for them.

It seems foolish to me to try and take that option away.

I'm not taking that option away, just saying it would not be the first point of call for me in any way, shape or form.

The 25 man rule hasn't stopped anyone apart from us it seems, plus it means that the bigger clubs can now focus their wages on a smaller selection of players, meaning that they can pay them even more.

Our wages are good compared to Wigan and Swansea, yes, but not Villa and Everton. Villas best players are on about the same as ours, and we would have to increase these to entice them away. The same with Sunderland and i believe Everton.

There are far better bargains out there, there are far better options for purchasing players. The PL is one of the most overpriced leagues in the world. If we can get players elsewhere, it would be a far better option.

IMO we have become successful by buying primarily two kinds of players:

a) Young unproven players with potential; not superstars like Hazard who all the top clubs are after, but people like: Walker, Dawson, Kaboul, Ekotto, Lennon, Sandro, Modric, Bale, Huddlestone.

b) Older, experienced bargains in some way: Friedel (free), Gallas (free), Parker (bargain), VDV (bargain), Adebayor (loan).

It would be great if we finish 3rd and are able to compete with the top teams for the Hazards and Llorentes of this world, but if we can't then we need to try and continue with this dual-approach. It will be interesting to see if we can continue to be so successful with the a) type of players.

Its funny you mention this because this is what I have been banging on about for why Harry COULD NOT bring in players. The key word here is "first". Harry has to get rid of players FIRST but if no one wants them what do we do? what does Harry do?

A number of those players are not his - he is actually trying to get rid of players that he never brought in in the first place. There are a couple of the players like saha and nielsen who are out of contract at end of season (advantage of getting in a short term replacement) Bassong is a player that maybe the likes of swansea could buy so he is saleable

So if he cant get rid of them what are we gonna do? we all gonna pounce on Harry?

DHSF the reason we need to get rid of players primarily is not because Levy is some sort of scrooge McDuck level tightwad, its because we have over 25 players who are over the age of 21. If we have a surplus of players over the age of 21 they become worthless to us as they cannot be included in the premier league squad/ European squad and therefore are only useable in the Cups. If we wanted to sign a decent player to improve our first team, we need to sell as we don't have space in the squad fit them into.

I know your firmly in the Harry camp when it comes to signings etc, but Levy has shown he is not afraid to back Redknapp with cash as we have shown in our previous pursuit for players like Suarez, Remy etc..

IMO we have become successful by buying primarily two kinds of players:

a) Young unproven players with potential; not superstars like Hazard who all the top clubs are after, but people like: Walker, Dawson, Kaboul, Ekotto, Lennon, Sandro, Modric, Bale, Huddlestone.

b) Older, experienced bargains in some way: Friedel (free), Gallas (free), Parker (bargain), VDV (bargain), Adebayor (loan).

It would be great if we finish 3rd and are able to compete with the top teams for the Hazards and Llorentes of this world, but if we can't then we need to try and continue with this dual-approach. It will be interesting to see if we can continue to be so successful with the a) type of players.

El Trev, I don't usually agree with the experienced Older Bargain way of signing, I wouldn't class VDV in that though as he is 28 and at his peak. The only experienced signings I would want would be those on the level of Davids, Klinsmann, Naybet, Gallas. Players who have actually been world class at one point and who actually have a winning mentality. Redknapp is signing the likes of Pienaar, Saha, Parker, Nelsen who whilst they have a bit of experience but have only really been decent premier league footballers. They're nowhere near to inspiring players the way the other four have and I wouldn't class them as real winners; Now if we came out and signed someone like RVN, Pirlo, Van Bommel etc then i'd be happy with this sort of experience in the squad.

Oh and the young unproven players thing, we need a decent scouting system sorted out first before we start signing the likes of them again, at present we seem to only be after the journeymen I mentioned above or we show interest in unrealistic purchases that everyman and his dog knows about such as Tevez, Hazard, Aguero etc.

Bale - Southampton (not a PL club) (Championship)
Carrick - West spam (not a PL club at the time) (I think they were championship)
Huddlestone - Derby (not a PL club) (Championship)
Dawson - Nottingham Forest (not a PL club) (Championship)
Lennon - leeds (not a PL club) (championship)
Defoe - Pompey (This one i'm not actually sure about, they may have been PL... I forget when administration occured)

I'd even add kyle walker, kyle naughton, scott parker to this list, all were bought from teams in lower divisions.

They may not have been from abroad, but with the exception of Defoe, we didn't buy any of them from other teams in the PL either.

In fact we seem to have most of our success either buying big from abroad, or buying talent through the leagues below us...

I would say that most of those transfers were done cheaply as well they were done to teams who were forced to sell to balance the books as they fudged themselves up financially, which I hope is a situation we never find ourselves in again.

I'd be surprised if any of them guys are on ?ú50K a week. The likes of Gio, Bassong, Nelsen and Saha are likely to be on less than half ?ú50K a week. Biggest earner there is Bentley if press reports are true and he was reported to be on ?ú40K a week, so in reality more like ?ú30K.

Our average wage is between 45-50k/week - official figures

Jenas has been with us for eons and signed as a bright prospect - I sincerely doubt he'd be on 20-25k/week else he would have left long ago / or a bottom 10 club would have snapped him long ago - these are Stoke / WBA kind of figures and he'd do well in such teams, imv

Nelsen was on his way to the States - doubt it was for the cultural experience either. So for him to choose us instead we must have offered him a decent package - logic sggests something along our average to below average figures. Most certainly not 20k / week. There is nothing for him with us - i.e. no realistic trophies (FA Cup was 30% chance at best), not real attachment to the club, fans, manager or anything similar to suggest he would have taken a knock

There is now way Saha would have left Everton for 20k/week or Moyes would have wanted him out in order to free-up budget for Jelavic.

Same for Bentley really - he was a 17m purchase at the time, - if we were willing to pay over the odds for a player then logic suggest his agent would have also arranged to good personal terms - plus he's been with us for a long time.

Why do you think we haven't been able to offload these players and always end up on flimflam loans? - Because they're pocketing solid pessos every week by doing close to fudge all while other teams (lower to mid-table outfits) cannot meet their personal terms so they're stuck in limbo.

If we're looking for "squad players" I think we should go for Hoilett and Diame. Both are out of contract in the summer and will be available on a tribunal/free transfer. Both good, have shown they can do a job in the PL and fairly young so they can improve still. Blackburn and Wigan don't pay massive wages so they probably aren't on big money and wouldn't demand massive money to join us.

Definitely agree re Hoillett given that he can play on both flanks so rotate with Bale and Lennon and also cover up top - he would given us a different option at CF as well given that we dont have a CF with his pace and movement.

Not convinced that we need Diame. We already have Parker and Sandro so not sure we need another defensive midfielder

Dembele is someone I would be delighted with us signing. Hoilett on a free again would be a good signing for us squad wise. Both of these signings could be achieved and easily enhance the "squad" and not be automatically kicking up if they are not starting every week.

I think those signings are kinda in line with really what we have done before tbh. The key swing in transfer policy is whether we decide to really splash our on a forward or two which we havent really done since the summer of 2006/2008.

El Trev, I don't usually agree with the experienced Older Bargain way of signing, I wouldn't class VDV in that though as he is 28 and at his peak. The only experienced signings I would want would be those on the level of Davids, Klinsmann, Naybet, Gallas. Players who have actually been world class at one point and who actually have a winning mentality. Redknapp is signing the likes of Pienaar, Saha, Parker, Nelsen who whilst they have a bit of experience but have only really been decent premier league footballers. They're nowhere near to inspiring players the way the other four have and I wouldn't class them as real winners; Now if we came out and signed someone like RVN, Pirlo, Van Bommel etc then i'd be happy with this sort of experience in the squad.

Oh and the young unproven players thing, we need a decent scouting system sorted out first before we start signing the likes of them again, at present we seem to only be after the journeymen I mentioned above or we show interest in unrealistic purchases that everyman and his dog knows about such as Tevez, Hazard, Aguero etc.

Yeah I kind of forced Gallas, Parker, VDV and Adebayor into one category for the sake of my post... :lol: In reality they're all slightly different kinds of purchases.

"Redknapp is signing the likes of Pienaar, Saha, Parker, Nelsen who whilst they have a bit of experience but have only really been decent premier league footballers" - I think most would agree that Parker has been a good signing. He's not the kind of Naybet or Gallas signing that you mentioned, but he's played an important role for us this season with Sandro's injuries.

As for Pienaar, I really think this was more of a Levy signing - he knew it was good value due to his contract running out, and thought we'd be able to sell him at a profit in the near future.

And with all due respect, I'm getting a bit sick of people talking about Nelsen and Saha as if they characterise Redknapp's transfer policy. They were signed as FREE, TEMPORARY stopgaps to make up for Bassong and Pav leaving.... it's not as if they're starting every game, and I would argue that they've performed better than Bassong and Pav (particularly Nelsen).

Which official figures?

Our average wage is ?ú2.46m/year, or ?ú47,401/week. Spurs are spending an average of ?ú44,394/week.

http://www.astonvillalife.com/blog/villa-vs-spurs-the-ugly-truth

I would love to know where he got his Stats..

'The Sporting Intelligence ÔÇ£Global Sports Salaries Survey 2012″ says that our Aston Villa are the 41st highest spending team in the world when it comes to the wage bill.'

Perhaps?

I'm actually interested now. I'll keep looking. :p

Edit: the problem with averages is who do you include? Do our youth benched players count?

Definitely agree re Hoillett given that he can play on both flanks so rotate with Bale and Lennon and also cover up top - he would given us a different option at CF as well given that we dont have a CF with his pace and movement.

Not convinced that we need Diame. We already have Parker and Sandro so not sure we need another defensive midfielder

I agree that it's not an area where immediate reinforcements are needed. One of the reasons I don't see much point in us spending ?ú10-15m on Dembele for example. Diame though is available on a free or a tribunal (I'm not quite sure),he is (very) good, will be on low wages and to me at least he looks like a player that could thrive in a better side as he has a lot of qualities. Looks like a real bargain, one we might not want to pass up on as they don't come around all that often. In addition to that we will hopefully have CL football next season, a lot more important games and another midfielder wouldn't be a bad thing.

DHSF the reason we need to get rid of players primarily is not because Levy is some sort of scrooge McDuck level tightwad, its because we have over 25 players who are over the age of 21. If we have a surplus of players over the age of 21 they become worthless to us as they cannot be included in the premier league squad/ European squad and therefore are only useable in the Cups. If we wanted to sign a decent player to improve our first team, we need to sell as we don't have space in the squad fit them into.

I know your firmly in the Harry camp when it comes to signings etc, but Levy has shown he is not afraid to back Redknapp with cash as we have shown in our previous pursuit for players like Suarez, Remy etc..

I totally agree that we need to get rid of a few and I think we are now paying for alot of brick that we have accumulated over the past few season. I mean Bentley on 50k, Jenas, Gomes etc... they are all surplus to requirements.

What you are saying is exactly what I have been saying for ages yet people are ignoring this fact - that we need to get rid first. Its a catch 22 situation. you get rid first and risk not getting in your first choice players because they have already been nabbed or you buy the players first and make sure you atleast get the deadwood off the wage bill by loaning them out (at the very least).

Harry has got in loans who are easy to get rid of come the end of the season but reading soem of the posts you would think Harry spent millions on these players on long term contracts on high wages (which is totally not the case).

Come to think of it I think Harry has been fairly clever - kept the squad ticking along whilst saving wages (through loans) and getting rid of deadwood (like Pav). The coffers really should be atleast enough for two or three great players.

I totally agree that we need to get rid of a few and I think we are now paying for alot of brick that we have accumulated over the past few season. I mean Bentley on 50k, Jenas, Gomes etc... they are all surplus to requirements.

What you are saying is exactly what I have been saying for ages yet people are ignoring this fact - that we need to get rid first. Its a catch 22 situation. you get rid first and risk not getting in your first choice players because they have already been nabbed or you buy the players first and make sure you atleast get the deadwood off the wage bill by loaning them out (at the very least).

Harry has got in loans who are easy to get rid of come the end of the season but reading soem of the posts you would think Harry spent millions on these players on long term contracts on high wages (which is totally not the case).

Come to think of it I think Harry has been fairly clever - kept the squad ticking along whilst saving wages (through loans) and getting rid of deadwood (like Pav). The coffers really should be atleast enough for two or three great players.

I think the coffers are but the squad is still full; its not a money issue its a regulatory one. What we need to do is identify attainable players, which is what Redknapp has failed to do.

Thats your choice but the figures are quite interesting.

The figures are interesting if they are accurate. Who has joined the club or been signed a new contract that would result in the wages doubling year on year?

The figures are interesting if they are accurate. Who has joined the club or been signed a new contract that would result in the wages doubling year on year?

We signed Ade, Nelsen, Parker, Saha, Brad

Bale and Sandro got new contracts

CL bonuses were paid out

We signed Ade, Nelsen, Parker, Saha, Brad

Bale and Sandro got new contracts

CL bonuses were paid out

I doubt that the data is available on January signings and it says in the intro that it does not include bonuses.

Back