• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Transfer Discussion Thread

@AdamSmith912 has removed "Tottenham Hotspur" from his bio on twitter and recently tweeted "#newchapter" suggesting he is leaving.

Possible £250,000 move to AFC Bournemouth.

Last edited:
That made me think of Royston Drenthe. People on here were desperate for him. He went on loan from Real Madrid to Everton and then on a free to Vladikavkaz and now plays for Reading in the Championship.

Mind you some people on here said that Aguero wasn't worth buying from Atletico as he was too short for the Premier League...

Aaah, that £38mill would have paid itself off by now. :(

Also Urby Emanuelson who was this genius from Ajax who went to Milan and escaped us... and then ended up on loan at Fulham and not doing much

Or Bryan Ruiz who some people wanted

So many players out there that seem good in moments but aren't the real deal. That is the real skill of a talent scount, spotting the genuine real deal.

E.g. the brilliance in Bergkamp when he was struggling massively at Inter, rather than thinking the player on a hot streak will stay on a hot streak

Chris Armstrong > Carlos Kickabout Bergkamp 8-[

I hope that the scout who informed Redknapp that Suarez wasn't a striker is no longer employed at Spurs!

Yup, with a striker of Aguero' calibre up front we almost certainly would've picked up the extra 2 points required to finish above ARSEnal these past 2 seasons... which would've added about £60m to the club' coffers... plus might've persuaded Modric and Bale to stay... :-&

Chris Armstrong > Carlos Kickabout Bergkamp 8-[

I hope that the scout who informed Redknapp that Suarez wasn't a striker is no longer employed at Spurs!

Yup, with a striker of Aguero' calibre up front we almost certainly would've picked up the extra 2 points required to finish above ARSEnal these past 2 seasons... which would've added about £60m to the club' coffers... plus might've persuaded Modric and Bale to stay...&

Exactly.

Lets hope we don't make the same mistake again.........

Exactly, although I doubt we were ever really serious about Aguero given the deadline-day bids we also put in for nearly every other top striker in Europe on that same day. Reeked of fan service to me.

I sincerely hope Levy doesn't make the same mistake again. We've got the strongest squad we've had since the PL began, imo, but that doesn't mean we can afford to ignore the need for another striker and a back-up left-back. Even just Vucinic and Guarin (even though Guarin is another bloody midfielder) would help address at least one of those concerns while also assuring both Sherwood and the squad that the board is committed to providing them the best support they can over the second half of the season, against a backdrop of United signing Mata, Chelsea signing Matic and **** hovering over Draxler.

Signing Saha and Nelsen on deadline day didn't just stall our progress that season: I suspect it actively harmed it. I mean, how were the players likely to feel when they saw those two being paraded around instead of the exciting names we were all expecting? My suspicion is that they felt that the board wasn't serious enough about challenging for the title or for 3rd place, and subconsciously, that had to have had an impact over the second half of that season.

When viewed in that light, spending some 10-15 million euros on Vucinic and Guarin (the latter optional, open to replacement if Baldini finds a left-back or a CB) would show that we're still deadly serious about clinching a CL spot, and if the rumours about Capoue and Holtby ( :( ) are true, then it isn't like we'd be spending much (overall) anyway.

Yup, with a striker of Aguero' calibre up front we almost certainly would've picked up the extra 2 points required to finish above ARSEnal these past 2 seasons... which would've added about £60m to the club' coffers... plus might've persuaded Modric and Bale to stay... :-&

Did we see a jump in profits of that scale the season we qualified?

@AdamSmith912 has removed "Tottenham Hotspur" from his bio on twitter and recently tweeted "#newchapter" suggesting he is leaving.

Possible £250,000 move to AFC Bournemouth.

I remember him looking promising in pre-season about 5 years ago. But my mate who is a Derby season ticket holder described him this season as "****ing atrocious".

Looks like ultimately he's fallen behind Fredericks as our 3rd choice RB.

Did we see a jump in profits of that scale the season we qualified?

Compared to 2011, we received £25m less in payments from UEFA plus gate receipts were down by £4m the following season.

No. It was all eaten up by extra expenditure IIRC (player bonuses etc.)

The wage bill increased by £14m that season, compared to increases of £7m in each of the previous 2 years, will be interesting to see how much that figure goes down by when the next next annual report is published.

The wage bill increased by £14m that season, compared to increases of £7m in each of the previous 2 years, will be interesting to see how much that figure goes down by when the next next annual report is published.

Sadly there is no requirement for the club to publish detailed accounts now that we have been delisted.

Also Urby Emanuelson who was this genius from Ajax who went to Milan and escaped us... and then ended up on loan at Fulham and not doing much

Or Bryan Ruiz who some people wanted

So many players out there that seem good in moments but aren't the real deal. That is the real skill of a talent scount, spotting the genuine real deal.

E.g. the brilliance in Bergkamp when he was struggling massively at Inter, rather than thinking the player on a hot streak will stay on a hot streak

I think a huge amount of it comes down to attitude and having that will to win. There are vast numbers of players out there with fantastic technique and many who can also ally that with having great vision. However if the attitude isn't right then they won't go as far as they could in the game. If they don't obey manager's tactics then they won't get picked for very long, their teammates are also less likely to give them the ball if they feel that they are not giving their all for the team. There is also the question of how brave the player is, as any player that is skilful, quick and typically takes his man on will get clattered on a number of occasions in the Premier League. Foreign players often find this difficult to adapt to, I would imagine that some simply never adapt - whereas those with that steely determination and will to win will refuse to be beaten by such tactics (which is why I think Lamela for example needs more time.... so that we can find out whether he is a player that can't adapt to it and keeps on looking to get rid of the ball before any potential contact or one that will rise to it and realise that the players diving in as such actually give him more opportunity to successfully take them on).

In weaker leagues where certain teams dominate, it sometimes doesn't matter as much as the player gets far more opportunities to get on the ball and use their skill (hence how Ruiz or Emanuelson can look brilliant in Holland). Whereas when such players come to England, the game is quicker, more physical and they will get less touches and time on the ball. Somebody like Bergkamp was perhaps a poor fit in Italy where the game was a lot more tactical and the teams used to make sure they had a defensive player in that space between the defence and midfield where Bergkamp liked to operate, whereas in England he perhaps thrived on the fact that at the time many teams were playing a standard 4-4-2 with two box to box midfielders, often leaving him free in that 'number 10' type space and also having defenders diving in more and him being able to use his brain and technique to exploit the gaps that then left.

Last edited:
At one time I believe he was on loan as Millwall he was getting serious hype to become our permanent right back. Then of course Walker emerged and now Fredericks the rest is history.I am still surprised we sold Luongo for that fee. He looked a real prospect I suppose with Carroll, Pritchard and Bentaleb he fell down the pecking order but when I saw him looked far too good for League 1. Matter of fact he was on his way to becoming Ipswich player of the year in Championship then manager changed and he fell out of favour.

I think even last year there was talk of Smith being better than Walker and some people saying as much. Most were commenting that he had better positional sense etc, his loan spell last year was positive. This year at Derby he never settled, sadly at his age he needs the football so good luck.

I fell asleep during the united-cardiff game, and just woke up! I dreamt something funny!

According to my dream we should sign Kagawa within the next week!

Lamela - Kagawa - Eriksen

Soldado

We did very well the rest of the season :D

Back