• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham vs Chelsea Random Fizzy Drink Cup OMT

Man of the match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The only thing cramping up was his ********. He bottled it - pure and simple. He was fine until the final whistle, then went whining to Fat Frank that his ickle leg was all hurty.

He had enough time to take a brick, drink an isotonic drink and take the penalty. Strikers that want to score goals and make a difference would brick on the field if they had to ...

Couldnt imagine any of the great goal scorers say that they didnt want to take the penalty

Maybe that's what Mourinho was bought in for. That's the kind of game we would have thrown away not so long ago. The first half wasn't that great and we conceded a couple of clear chances in the second but I think the important thing here is that while most of these guys are fringe players (and some of them even on the market for a move), they still gave it a good shot.

I'm willing to bet there weren't too many people to back us up when the teams were announced but we managed to snatch a draw against a superior opponent, at least on paper. Where's Frank 'Mourinho has three games to save his job' Leboeuf now?

For me, the game showed a few things

- Most people really understand fudge all about tactics (no go at you mate, but the pundit flimflam about the 1st half is amazing or talking about Jose's HT talk)), we with a B team, no recognized striker and 4 games in 8 days were never going to go toe to toe with Chelsea's first team for 90 minutes. The plan was fudging simple, Jose even explained it in post match, sit in the 5 at the back, stay in the game for 60 odd minutes, switch to our "normal" formation, bring a striker on and go at them for 25-30 minutes to win the game, Without Reguilon's mistake, we could have won that in the 90.
- And yes, this is what Jose is here for (Chelsea had no fudging idea what team or formation we were going to play with Jose's mind games about throwing the cup_), he also kept the team in it, in the past, we would have put up a good show, looked good for a part of the game, and still lost.

Long way to go, but what I've seen in the last weeks
- Real tactics, Southampton and Chelsea
- Winning away games
- Domination of a game (Saudi Sportswashing Machine)
- New players making an impact, PEH, Reguilon, Doherty and Ndombele's redemption
- Signs of a functioning midfield, N'dombele, Lo Celso, PEH

Last season and the 8 or so months before were a fudging mess, we are picking up, long may it continue

- Most people really understand fudge all about tactics (no go at you mate, but the pundit flimflam about the 1st half is amazing or talking about Jose's HT talk)), we with a B team, no recognized striker and 4 games in 8 days were never going to go toe to toe with Chelsea's first team for 90 minutes. The plan was fudging simple, Jose even explained it in post match, sit in the 5 at the back, stay in the game for 60 odd minutes, switch to our "normal" formation, bring a striker on and go at them for 25-30 minutes to win the game, Without Reguilon's mistake, we could have won that in the 90.
- And yes, this is what Jose is here for (Chelsea had no fudging idea what team or formation we were going to play with Jose's mind games about throwing the cup_), he also kept the team in it, in the past, we would have put up a good show, looked good for a part of the game, and still lost.

- Winning away games
- New players making an impact, PEH, Reguilon, Doherty and Ndombele's redemption

Last season and the 8 or so months before were a fudging mess, we are picking up, long may it continue
Spot on mate. And they didn't create much in that first half. Really just the two chances after errors by us iirc.

The players and Mourinho deserve quite a bit of praise for that first half performance. For me even more for the way they turned it around in the second half, even before the substitutions were made.

Have to wonder too if Chelsea spent a bit too much energy in that first half. A thing we've seen from us in the past, most notably in the Bayern game, but also in some other big games where we've been a bit too eager to prove a point early and suffered the consequences later on.

Very Mourinho thing to do to manage the energy levels too. Even more important in this game with several players lacking match fitness, coming back from injury and such.

- Winning away games

Could not agree more, its still early days but the signs are showing progress and the last three games have shown that we are a decent team ( with a plan and a manager who can adjust tactics). Of course there is still work to be done but i really believe we are going the right way.

This is a brilliant win over Chelsea, even if it was by penalty shoot outs. Frankly never thought we would overcome Chelsea after we conceded the early goal. I think Lamela is the man-of-the-match as he not only scored our crucial goal but he scored in the penalty shoot out as well. Credit to Reguilon for his assist for the goal. With our record in the penalty shoot outs traditionally so poor, it is great to see us scoring all the 5 penalties. This is the first time ever we have beaten a big team on penalties in any real competition. But our penalty record still need to be improved as we have now played 20 penalty shoot outs in our history, winning just 6 and losing 14 !

This is a brilliant win over Chelsea, even if it was by penalty shoot outs. Frankly never thought we would overcome Chelsea after we conceded the early goal. I think Lamela is the man-of-the-match as he not only scored our crucial goal but he scored in the penalty shoot out as well. Credit to Reguilon for his assist for the goal. With our record in the penalty shoot outs traditionally so poor, it is great to see us scoring all the 5 penalties. This is the first time ever we have beaten a big team on penalties in any real competition. But our penalty record still need to be improved as we have now played 20 penalty shoot outs in our history, winning just 6 and losing 14 !
Are you feeling ok? There wasn't a single criticism in this post. Thank you for that. Now I believe that anything is possible.

Agree. I posted earlier, I dont actually remember us ever scoring all 5 (could be wrong), but certainly never 5 as good as those were

Agree. I posted earlier, I dont actually remember us ever scoring all 5 (could be wrong), but certainly never 5 as good as those were

Actually, we did score all the 5 penalties when we beat Peterborough United 5-4 on penalties in the FA Cup Round 3 match in 1994. Darren Caskey, David Kerslake, Darren Anderton, Nick Barmby and Steve Sedgley scored all our penalties that time.

For the record, here is the list of all our penalty shoot outs in our history :

Penalty Shootouts
Tottenham Record : Won=6, Lost=14

29-Sep-2020 L.C.Cup 4th Round H Chelsea 1–1 (Lamela 84th min) (Spurs won 5-4 on pens)
(Dier=scored,Lamela=scored,Højbjerg=scored,Lucas Moura=scored,Kane=scored)

04-Mar-2020 FA Cup 5th Round H Norwich City 1–1 (Vertonghen) (a.e.t.) (Spurs lost 2–3 on pens)
(Dier=scored,Lamela=missed,Lo Celso=scored,Parrott=missed,Fernandes=missed)

24-Sep-2019 L.C.Cup 3rd Round A Colchester United 0–0 (Spurs lost 3-4 on pens)
(Eriksen=missed,Alli=scored,Lamela=scored,Son=scored,Lucas Moura=missed)

31-Jul-2019 Audi Cup Final A 2–2 Bayern Munich (Lamela,Eriksen) (Spurs won 6–5 on pens)
(Alderweireld=scored,Eriksen=missed,Kane=scored,Son=scored,Roles=scored,Skipp=scored,Tanganga=scored)

24-Jan-2019 L.C. Cup SF (2L) A Chelsea 1-2 Llorente (2-2 aggregate) (Spurs lost 2-4 on pens)
(Eriksen=scored,Lamela=scored,Dier=missed,Moura=saved)

26-Sept-2018 L.C. Cup 3 H(at MK Dons) Watford 2-2 (Spurs won 4-2 on pens)
(Son=scored,Lamela=scored,Llorente=scored,Alli=scored)

28-July-2018 International Champions Cup (Friendly-San Diego,USA) A Barcelona 2-2 (Spurs lost 3-5 on penalties)
(Son=scored,Davies=scored,Georgiou=saved,Sanchez=scored)

30-Oct-2013 L.C. Cup 4 H Hull City 2-2 (a.e.t) (Spurs won 8-7 on pens)
(Sigurdsson=scored,Defoe=scored,Vertonghen=scored,Lamela=saved,Kane=scored,Paulinho=scored,Kaboul=scored,Dembele=scored,Walker=scored)

11-Apr-2013 E.L. QF A FC Basel 2-2 (a.e.t) (Spurs lost 1-4 on pens)
(Huddletone=saved, Sigurdsson=scored, Adebayor=missed)

20-Sep-2011 L.C. 3 A Stoke City D 0 - 0 (a.e.t) (Spurs lost 6-7 on pens)
(Defoe=scored,Pavlyuchenko=missed,Townsend=scored,Corluka=scored,Kaboul=scored,Livermore=scored,
Carroll=scored,Luongo=saved)

01-Mar-09 L.C. Cup Final 88,217 W Manchester United D 0 - 0 (a.e.t) (Spurs lost 1-4 on pens)
(O'Hara=saved,Corluka=scored,Bentley=missed)

12-Mar-08 UEFA 3 (2L) 33,000 A PSV Eindhoven W 1 - 0 (a.e.t) Berbatov (Spurs lost 5-6 on pens)
(Berbatov=scored,O'Hara=Scored,Huddlestone=scored,Bent=scored,Jenas=missed,Zokora=scored,
Chimbonda=missed)

01-Dec-04 L.C. Cup 5 36,100 H Liverpool D 1 - 1 (a.e.t) Defoe (Spurs lost 4-3 on pens)
(Defoe=scored,Michael Carrick=scored,Kanote=saved,Michael Brown=missed,Reto Ziegler=scored)

06-Aug-04 Kappa Cup A(in Seville,Spain) Partizan Belgrade 1-1 Defoe (Spurs lost 0-1 on pens)
(Johnnie Jackson=missed) (only 1 sudden-death penalty taken)

17-Dec-03 L.C. Cup 5 25,307 H Middlesbrough D 1 - 1 (a.e.t) Anderton (Spurs lost 5-4 on pens)
(Robbie Keane=scored,Stephen Carr=scored,Paul Konchesky=scored,Gus Poyet=missed,Freddie Kanoute=scored,Mauricio Taricco=missed)

09-Mar-96 F.A. Cup 5® 31,055 H Nottingham Forest D 1 - 1 (a.e.t) Sheringham (Spurs lost 1-3 on Penalties)
(Ruel Fox=scored,Clive Wilson=saved,Ronny Rosenthal=saved,Sheringham=saved)

26-May-95 Friendly 20,000 A Singapore Lions D 1 - 1 Anderton (Lost 2-4 on penalties)

19-Jan-94 F.A. Cup 3® 24,893 H Peterborough United D 1 - 1 (a.e.t) Barmby (Spurs won 5-4 on Penalties)
(Darren Caskey=scored,David Kerslake=scored,Darren Anderton=scored,Barmby=scored,Steve Sedgley=scored)

27-Apr-93 Fiorucci Cup(Friendly) H Inter Milan D 0 - 0 (Lost 6-5 on penalties)

25-May-84 UEFA Final (2L) 46,205 H Anderlecht D 1 - 1 Roberts (2-2 aggregate)
(Spurs win the UEFA cup 4-3 on penalties)
(Roberts=scored,Falco=scored,Stevens=scored,Archibald=scored,Thomas=saved)

----------------------------------------

We won our first ever penalty shoot outs to win the UEFA Cup in 1984. But since then our record have been poor, winning just 6 and losing 14 penalty shoot outs in total.

Jesus, this is worse than the infamous "DVDs of famous matches we've won" we used to like selling:rolleyes:
Nah this was pre determined as we didn’t get to play Orient to raise money for Edinburgh’s foundation. It was a small bonus that winning the game will hopefully increase demand for the shirts.

to be fair it may not have been 100% clear in the post, so edited as my intention was to raise it as a positive thing.

Are you not in favour of the Justin Edinburgh foundation? It's an odd choice of an organisation to feud with...
When you get to your 70s cant sleep at night and have seen all the episodes of Only Fools and Horses hundreds of times those DVDs are great watching.
Nah this was pre determined as we didn’t get to play Orient to raise money for Edinburgh’s foundation. It was a small bonus that winning the game will hopefully increase demand for the shirts.

to be fair it may not have been 400% clear in the post, so edited as my intention was to raise it as a positive thing.

I didn't realise that the DVD thing was related to Justin Edinburgh's charity. Thanks for clarifying @MKSpur
Yes, a worthy cause

Back