• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

Tottenham v Villa OMT

Is it me, or are we just so much better at passing the ball out of our own half under Conte than we have ever been in recent memory?

Second half, yes. First half, no! And actually we won the game through long balls :)

Yet I agree with you. Conte has got the team passing well. It has been a bugbear how lacking we've been at passing probably since Redknapp or El Tel. First half we looked slow and sloppy passing the ball out of defense. It is a mentality thing - they put us under pressure, and we still have a tendency to crap it and stop playing our game. Under an intense press, a lot of our back line are not on it enough. If you mark Bentancur out the game, apart from Romero there aren't many technically strong players to craft the ball in defense and midfield when under pressure. Yet we have improved massively. Long may Conte continue.

I thought Royal did a lot of important work yesterday, some dogged defending when we were under the cosh, and he’d got into a really good blocking position for one of the Ing’s shanks.

Defensive contributions from that position are just as important as offensive ones.

If I were Conte, i'd pay him a visit in the dressing room. Would be well deserved of some Martin Jol treatment. There was a story of him doing it to a ref at half time in his early days with us.
He went to see the ref at half time and this is supposedly what was said between Jol and the ref;

- I'm new in this country so I'm not sure what's allowed and not. Can I call you a clam?
- No you can't. I'd book you or send you to the stands.
- Ok, but am I allowed to think it?
- It's a free country so you can think whatever you want.
- Ok then, I think you're a clam!

It's a story Martin Jol told himself. How could you not love the guy!

Last edited:
Second half, yes. First half, no! And actually we won the game through long balls :)

Yet I agree with you. Conte has got the team passing well. It has been a bugbear how lacking we've been at passing probably since Redknapp or El Tel. First half we looked slow and sloppy passing the ball out of defense. It is a mentality thing - they put us under pressure, and we still have a tendency to crap it and stop playing our game. Under an intense press, a lot of our back line are not on it enough. If you mark Bentancur out the game, apart from Romero there aren't many technically strong players to craft the ball in defense and midfield when under pressure. Yet we have improved massively. Long may Conte continue.

Kane dropping in like he is right now is supremely helpful. Mark Bentancur, there's Harry. Mark Harry there's Kulu. And Sonny...the options are endless...

Kane dropping in like he is right now is supremely helpful. Mark Bentancur, there's Harry. Mark Harry there's Kulu. And Sonny...the options are endless...

Also the wingbacks getting in the box. 9 goals in 2 games and harry not on the score sheet.

If any of you young 'uns are wondering what all the fuss over Gilzean and Greaves was all about, that goal is about as close as you are going to get.

Amen brother, Gilzean was class and those flick headers were brilliant. Where i use to sit at the time there was some idiot sat two rows in front of me who after watching Gilly after a couple of games started moaning that we had bought a duffer. He kept screaming that he could not even head a ball to a team mate and headed into a empty part of the pitch.

It was obvious to some of us he was heading into the space for Jimmy to run into and when Jimmy picked up on it they were magic together. Jimmy always said that playing with Gilly made his job easier. Great partnership.

Was Coutinho substituted at half-time?*

I don't recall seeing him.

Saturday was a rare instance of Højbjerg outshining Bentancur (in my view) but maybe Bentancur was asked to snuff out Coutinho (who had a good first half).

* A rhetorical question.

Back