• Dear Guest, Please note that adult content is not permitted on this forum. We have had our Google ads disabled at times due to some posts that were found from some time ago. Please do not post adult content and if you see any already on the forum, please report the post so that we can deal with it. Adult content is allowed in the glory hole - you will have to request permission to access it. Thanks, scara

***** Tottenham v Palace Birds *****

I thought we were fairly poor today.
We ran out very comfortable winners of course, once Zaha got a red.
But we were poor and were pushed back with our only solution to give it to Sanchez so he could launch it forwards.
And don't get me started on Hojbjerg, he was atrocious again, so so poor on the ball.
Very pleased we won, but that was a poor showing from a bunch of frightened players at NWHL, who only blossomed once we went ahead.

I'd say Son and Moura were good, Kane and Skipp decent, apart from that a bunch of cowards who dare not take the ball and show us some class.

when we play Hojgjerg, Skipp, Royal and Regulion - all players who aren’t known for attacking or scoring - then we only really have 3 attacking players on the pitch. opponents mark Kane and Son and muffle Moura, and we’re limited.

with Sessengon, Alli and Ndombele we might have lost some defensive strength but we were much more creative. Winks is also good for a cameo.

A lot of PL games are about grinding out results however, especially this time of year. Palace didn’t get a shot on target.

The biggest improvement regardless of personnel is how we pass the ball. I think Conte still needs to solve the midfield longer term and wingbacks to get the balance right, but we move the ball around with more speed and purpose now. Even under Poch we didn’t pass all that well. Years of pretty slow passing. Contes upgraded us in a matter of a couple of months.

Last edited:
when we play Hojgjerg, Skipp, Royal and Regulion - all players who aren’t known for attacking or scoring - then we only really have 3 attacking players on the pitch. opponents mark Kane and Son and muffle Moura, and we’re limited.

with Sessengon, Alli and Ndombele we might have lost some defensive strength but we were much more creative. Winks is also good for a cameo.

A lot of PL games are about grinding out results however, especially this time of year. Palace didn’t get a shot on target.

The biggest improvement regardless of personnel is how we pass the ball. I think Conte still needs to solve the midfield longer term and wingbacks to get the balance right, but we move the ball around with more speed and purpose now. Even under Poch we didn’t pass all that well. Years of pretty slow passing. Contes upgraded us in a matter of a couple of months.

Agree that the midfield balance isn't right at the moment - will be more telling after next summer's window. I'd like to think that with Conte, a few £££, the stadium etc we might be able to attract a decent CM

The CM solution also depends on whether Conte wants to go with his Inter or Chelsea formation, or have flexibility between the two.

At the moment we have Skipp + 5 others. Some of the 5 could stay to balance out incoming players as back-ups but selling any 3 of Dele, GLC, Ndombele, Winks and PEH could raise a reasonable amount of cash and then look to sign 2 others. Means we end up with Skipp, 2 new signings and 2 of the 5 'others'

No complaints for me about him either, obviously, but I was annnoyed when he didn't let the ball run for Reggie on two occations near the end.

should have course have something to do with me having Reggie in my fantasy team. :D
Sorry did not pick up on that, but yeah. He started poorly, looked like we were getting the 'other' Lucas - the one who persistently runs down blind alleys and/or misplaces his passes - but then all of a sudden he exploded and out popped the stellar Ajax version.

Yay!

Sorry did not pick up on that, but yeah. He started poorly, looked like we were getting the 'other' Lucas - the one who persistently runs down blind alleys and/or misplaces his passes - but then all of a sudden he exploded and out popped the stellar Ajax version.

Yay!

Yeah, arguably not his best game in recent weeks apart from those telling contributions.

That's fine enough, players will have ups and downs. He's always a potential threat at the very least though and yesterday he was much more than that. Consistent end product, that would transform him as a player. That's hoping for a lot though.

Really? I thought we looked very comfortable. Sure, we were soaking up some early pressure, but very rarely in a PL match do you dominate from start to finish. We let them run out of steam while controlling fairly well, in my opinion, my I'm on my Spurs happy pills these days. :p

How good is Skipp though?! Jesus! We have a gem on our hands. :D
Skipp brings energy and commitment to the team but has to make a significant improvement to his game on the ball…. Our first goal actually came from Skipp miscontrolling the ball in a dangerous area, Palace attempting to take advantage of that pushing two players in there which would’ve given them a 4 on 3 or 4 attack only for the ball to quite fortunately bobble our way with Palace then exposed with a lack of numbers in the centre. But for the bobble of the ball there it could’ve been 1-0 the other way and a different game.

Agree that the midfield balance isn't right at the moment - will be more telling after next summer's window. I'd like to think that with Conte, a few £££, the stadium etc we might be able to attract a decent CM

The CM solution also depends on whether Conte wants to go with his Inter or Chelsea formation, or have flexibility between the two.

At the moment we have Skipp + 5 others. Some of the 5 could stay to balance out incoming players as back-ups but selling any 3 of Dele, GLC, Ndombele, Winks and PEH could raise a reasonable amount of cash and then look to sign 2 others. Means we end up with Skipp, 2 new signings and 2 of the 5 'others'

Who we can sell is the big question. Alli, Ndombele etc are probably of wages that preclude a lot of clubs. Players won’t half their wages to leave when they could run down their contracts.

There was a turning point when Conte changed from looking a little overwrought about the task at hand taking about “a lot of work” etc to more recently “enjoying” working with players etc. The Liverpool game was a key game for me. After it, Conte and the squad are looking in far better shape. Bar maybe Ndombele this squad has Poch’ foundation of hard working committed players. With commitment, Conte now knows he can train them and get the most from them. And when that happens the players became a lot more saleable. Alli showed he has a lot to offer. Winks is actually a great squad player. Not a week in and out player but able to come in and have an excellent cameo game - pool, Barca all those years ago.

I think our first priority is another forward. Kane and Son get little restpite. We actually have decent cover in midfield, wingback and CB. Any good manager will build a defensive foundation to their side so Hojgjerg, Skipp and Royal are logical. Hard working tenacious players. And it looks like Conte has more faith in rotating them with other players now. The more the fringe players play the greater their value (to us as well) and the easier they are to sell.

Skipp brings energy and commitment to the team but has to make a significant improvement to his game on the ball…. Our first goal actually came from Skipp miscontrolling the ball in a dangerous area, Palace attempting to take advantage of that pushing two players in there which would’ve given them a 4 on 3 or 4 attack only for the ball to quite fortunately bobble our way with Palace then exposed with a lack of numbers in the centre. But for the bobble of the ball there it could’ve been 1-0 the other way and a different game.

On Skipp in the buildup for the first goal.

Two Palace players are starting to close him down as he's receiving the ball. His touch is slightly hard, but only ever so slightly. He gets his body in between the ball and Zaha, having taken the first touch away from the other Palace player.

His touch is, what? Half a yard too hard? That happens when players are put in situations like that. Should work to improve so it happens less frequently, but it will still happen and that's fine.

I chalk it up to inexperience. But yeah, I noticed that too. In general, I think he's very good on the ball, if not a bit rough around the edges.

Who we can sell is the big question. Alli, Ndombele etc are probably of wages that preclude a lot of clubs. Players won’t half their wages to leave when they could run down their contracts.

There was a turning point when Conte changed from looking a little overwrought about the task at hand taking about “a lot of work” etc to more recently “enjoying” working with players etc. The Liverpool game was a key game for me. After it, Conte and the squad are looking in far better shape. Bar maybe Ndombele this squad has Poch’ foundation of hard working committed players. With commitment, Conte now knows he can train them and get the most from them. And when that happens the players became a lot more saleable. Alli showed he has a lot to offer. Winks is actually a great squad player. Not a week in and out player but able to come in and have an excellent cameo game - pool, Barca all those years ago.

I think our first priority is another forward. Kane and Son get little restpite. We actually have decent cover in midfield, wingback and CB. Any good manager will build a defensive foundation to their side so Hojgjerg, Skipp and Royal are logical. Hard working tenacious players. And it looks like Conte has more faith in rotating them with other players now. The more the fringe players play the greater their value (to us as well) and the easier they are to sell.

Conte has gotten some really good responses from several players. Some more or less immediate, Dier, Davies, Hugo (more assertive, less on his line), Emerson, Lucas. Though some were already doing well, they've stepped up imo.

Some after a bit of time, either time outside the team or a bit of time in it. Alli, Winks, Sanchez, Bergwijn.

Getting these responses, these performances, will only keep lifting belief and motivation both from the players and staff.

Long may it last.

On Skipp in the buildup for the first goal.

Two Palace players are starting to close him down as he's receiving the ball. His touch is slightly hard, but only ever so slightly. He gets his body in between the ball and Zaha, having taken the first touch away from the other Palace player.

His touch is, what? Half a yard too hard? That happens when players are put in situations like that. Should work to improve so it happens less frequently, but it will still happen and that's fine.
Against a proper, decent pressing team that is 1-0 to the opposition. It’s not the first time I’ve seen it happen with Skipp either. He has promise but needs to improve on the ball quite considerably IMO.

I saw our crowd yesterday was 40k, well below what you would expect for a local derby on Boxing Day. Covid would have been a major factor along with this being the first Christmas families could get together. I believe the malicious rumour started by London.football and run by many national media outlets played a major role in stopping people going. If only there were some way we could get compensation from these rumour mongers.

I saw our crowd yesterday was 40k, well below what you would expect for a local derby on Boxing Day. Covid would have been a major factor along with this being the first Christmas families could get together. I believe the malicious rumour started by London.football and run by many national media outlets played a major role in stopping people going. If only there were some way we could get compensation from these rumour mongers.
Doesn’t really matter from a financial perspective seeing as the tickets are already sold anyway

Doesn’t really matter from a financial perspective seeing as the tickets are already sold anyway

Was the game sold out? I'm told there were a lot of people at the ticket office, plus food, drinks, shop and programmes. My little party of 3 usually spend over £50 a match in the ground.

Watching MotD and the Athletic stadium had way more empty seats than we had
As Finney says though most of the empty seats had already been paid for so it's more the merchandising and food/drinks they will miss out on
Boxing day without trains is tricky especially as there is not many places to park

Was the game sold out? I'm told there were a lot of people at the ticket office, plus food, drinks, shop and programmes. My little party of 3 usually spend over £50 a match in the ground.
We haven't sold out 1 game so far this season see below
People scared to go to Liverpool/Hammers because of maybe getting COVID and ruining Xmas

upload_2021-12-27_12-28-17.png

Would expect we go back to high 50's from Arsenal onwards

We haven't sold out 1 game so far this season see below
People scared to go to Liverpool/Hammers because of maybe getting COVID and ruining Xmas

View attachment 13374

Would expect we go back to high 50's from Arsenal onwards

Historically the Saturday before Christmas is a bad day for attendances and the lack of foreign fans has had an impact but I still feel the rumour stop people travelling.

Historically the Saturday before Christmas is a bad day for attendances and the lack of foreign fans has had an impact but I still feel the rumour stop people travelling.
It did
Along with Covid risk (I say that as someone whose got covid and the only place I’ve been is the ground)
Plus family commitments (I never go anymore on Boxing Day)
And add in the actual issue with travelling…
It’s a number of factors

Against a proper, decent pressing team that is 1-0 to the opposition. It’s not the first time I’ve seen it happen with Skipp either. He has promise but needs to improve on the ball quite considerably IMO.

Against a proper high press we don't end up in that situation.

It has happened before, it will happen again, it's fine. The alternative is much worse.

If the frequency of this kind of thing happening becomes too high it's a severe problem for sure. I don't think that's the case now.

The problem for me is who plays with Skipp, not Skipp for me.

Who in the squad would you trust to do better in those situations?

Against a proper high press we don't end up in that situation.

It has happened before, it will happen again, it's fine. The alternative is much worse.

If the frequency of this kind of thing happening becomes too high it's a severe problem for sure. I don't think that's the case now.

The problem for me is who plays with Skipp, not Skipp for me.

Who in the squad would you trust to do better in those situations?
Some will say Tanguy…. He didn’t play well when he came on

It did
Along with Covid risk (I say that as someone whose got covid and the only place I’ve been is the ground)
Plus family commitments (I never go anymore on Boxing Day)
And add in the actual issue with travelling…
It’s a number of factors

I never miss a London Boxing Day game as it's my birthday and I had my first legal drink at a match. My son told me we haven't lost a game on that day since 2003.
Got some good memories, standing over at Stamford Bridge dog track freezing with my Dad, seeing Gary Brooke score 2 on his debut in a 4-4 draw with Southampton, amazed to hear we had signed Steve Hodge at the game against West Ham and him scoring in a 4-0 win, but some downs particularly when I had my car removed by police for parking.

Back